joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have had three thunderstorms rip through Fryeburg. First one killed the power with multiple lightning strikes of the FlashPOW variety. Reports from gf are that the entire town is powerless.

Eyewall - outstanding storm pics! Meant to give props earlier but my phone battery kicked the bucket. Out in the car now charging. lol

Thank you! There was one more cell north of town at Sunset (Obviously these were enhanced as experimented with settings).

post-139-0-30784700-1372037711_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-47907900-1372038820_thumb.jpg

Yeah I am definitely enjoying it so far and definitely some great views are available here. It seems to be a good spot for a good variety of weather. Sure I may suffer in snow compared to you guys, but it is alot more than what fell where I was.

Regarding that last sentence, that's how I was when I first moved up and went to UVM...after living in the Hudson Valley just south of ALB, a snow season up north was awesome. It certainly helped that my first winter started with 3 solid storms in Dec 2003, with around 5 feet falling that month in BTV (two storms over 18", another 12" caking thundersnow storm, mixed with the usual near daily light snow). I remember thinking wow, so this is how it is up here....but alas, 50-60" Decembers aren't the norm in the CPV. The mountains had over 100" that month and the Jay Peak coop had a 100-inch depth at 1800ft (though that still seems questionable).

Either way, you're in for a heck of a lot more exciting winter weather than you're used to...and you can always drive to Bolton Valley to hang out in the big upslope events.

Chased a storm from Essex Jct. to Williston and got a nice view of the updraft region. It briefly had supercell characteristics before reaching the Greens (Mesoanalysis had supercell composities of 2-4). Some of these shots show a nice lowered rain-free base and even a bit of an RFD notch for a short time. My closest approach to where any low-level rotation would be was when I was in the car moving so it was hard to determine if there was any.

That must have been the storm that took us off the golf course. We were at Cedar Knoll in Hinesburg when a storm fringed us with a little bit of rain but we got a pretty good light show off to the north towards Williston. I think it was around 3:00 or so.

That must have been the storm that took us off the golf course. We were at Cedar Knoll in Hinesburg when a storm fringed us with a little bit of rain but we got a pretty good light show off to the north towards Williston. I think it was around 3:00 or so.

Yes that would be the same storm for sure.

I loved playing Cedar Knoll...I gotta get back there this summer. That is one tough course to walk though! Haha hills and more hills.

I loved playing Cedar Knoll...I gotta get back there this summer. That is one tough course to walk though! Haha hills and more hills.

Thank god we had a cart. My buddy snagged an online deal, 18 holes with cart for two was only $50. We actually ended up playing 24 holes. It was my first time playing there I really enjoyed it.

Thank god we had a cart. My buddy snagged an online deal, 18 holes with cart for two was only $50. We actually ended up playing 24 holes. It was my first time playing there I really enjoyed it.

Yeah they always have some sort of deal on their website...just print it out and it's really hard to beat. For a while I remember it was $30 per person for a cart and unlimited golf for the day. With the three different nines you can really play a lot before you even start repeating holes haha.

Working at the right spot today...low 60s up here right now (I've got 61F in the shade) with 63F on the official station.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

We made a snowman out of some of the snow from the remaining drifts near tree-line...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice, you should be getting a thunderstorm soon if you’re still up there – blew through here in Burlington a little while ago.

Nice, you should be getting a thunderstorm soon if you’re still up there – blew through here in Burlington a little while ago.

Riding it out at the Cliff House. Evacuated the summit and just got word of an elderly couple on the ridge...Im not leaving the building at this point.

Looks like your area in Waterbury just got smoked though. Had to be hail in that and torrential rain. Curious what you find when you get home.

4:45pm Severe warned cell going by 5 miles to my south. Nice structure and lots of lightning. Almost an exactly what happened yesterday. Picture below was taken at 4:40pm or so as it was to my SW. Watched it start from nothing and watched the towers go up and then the rain shafts begin!

great pic.. do you have a public link for your cam?

great pic.. do you have a public link for your cam?

The picture I posted was actually taken from my phone but the webcam takes great pictures. Here is the site. www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/ my Davis weather station only updates on the webpage when my desktop computer is on (its off right now so the weather info is not up to date) the camera has its own server so it updates every few minutes. Its a high def netcam. Just looked right now and its overexposed cause the sky to the west is so bright.

By the way missed the T storm and only got a brief shower as it passed.

Riding it out at the Cliff House. Evacuated the summit and just got word of an elderly couple on the ridge...Im not leaving the building at this point.

Looks like your area in Waterbury just got smoked though. Had to be hail in that and torrential rain. Curious what you find when you get home.

Oh man, I didn’t even need to head home to find out; my wife called in because the rain was so torrential, and the power even went out.  There was more than an inch of rain in about 20 minutes, and it definitely pushed past our drainage capacity in a couple of spots on the property.  I grabbed the radar image late, but in the first couple of frames you can see those purplish 55 db+ echoes after the storm pushed past the Chittenden/Washington County line along I-89:

24JUN13A.gif

Oh man, I didn’t even need to head home to find out; my wife called in because the rain was so torrential, and the power even went out.  There was more than an inch of rain in about 20 minutes, and it definitely pushed past our drainage capacity in a couple of spots on the property.  I grabbed the radar image late, but in the first couple of frames you can see those purplish 55 db+ echoes after the storm pushed past the Chittenden/Washington County line along I-89:

24JUN13A.gif

Nice... more and more water to help raise the dew points over the next couple of days.  Looks like at least a half inch of rain up this way in the gauge with the storms at home.

I was up on the mountain for the majority of the storms and must've picked up some some decent rain as the rainfall rates were obscene when it was coming down.  It is like a tropical rain forest up there right now, there's just so much water everywhere.

Man has it been wet... with around a half inch on Saturday afternoon/evening, then another inch yesterday, and now more across the region today.  Here in Stowe we are likely pushing 6" now on the month.

Here was yesterday's rainfall....

We'll have to see what tomorrow's summary map looks like.  Judging by the models, there could be some impressive rainfall totals over the next 7-10 days too.  No shortage of water so far this warm season.

Man has it been wet... with around a half inch on Saturday afternoon/evening, then another inch yesterday, and now more across the region today.  Here in Stowe we are likely pushing 6" now on the month.

Well, it was 1.06” of liquid from that first storm, and the sky is starting to look spooky again off to the north, so we may have more on the way:

24JUN13B.gif

After dealing with washouts from 3”/hr rains, I can say that I much prefer 3”/hr snows.  Thankfully I’d say we get more of the latter around here due to upslope.

Archived