Potential Severe Weather Event 06/13/13

DaculaWeather

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUNCOMBE NC-HAYWOOD NC-
421 PM EDT THU JUN 13 2013

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERN HAYWOOD AND
EXTREME WEST CENTRAL BUNCOMBE COUNTIES UNTIL 445 PM EDT...

AT 420 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO.  THIS STORM WAS
LOCATED NEAR WATERVILLE...OR 15 MILES NORTH OF WAYNESVILLE...MOVING
SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

THIS STORM WILL IMPACT LOCATIONS NEAR...
  LAKE JUNALUSKA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A TORNADO IS LIKELY DEVELOPING OR ALREADY OCCURRING. SEEK SHELTER IN
AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST LEVEL OF A HOUSE OR OFFICE BUILDING.
PLACE AS MANY FLOORS AND WALLS BETWEEN YOU AND THE OUTSIDE AS
POSSIBLE.

BUNCOMBE NC-HAYWOOD NC-
421 PM EDT THU JUN 13 2013

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERN HAYWOOD AND
EXTREME WEST CENTRAL BUNCOMBE COUNTIES UNTIL 445 PM EDT...

AT 420 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO.  THIS STORM WAS
LOCATED NEAR WATERVILLE...OR 15 MILES NORTH OF WAYNESVILLE...MOVING
SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

THIS STORM WILL IMPACT LOCATIONS NEAR...
  LAKE JUNALUSKA.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A TORNADO IS LIKELY DEVELOPING OR ALREADY OCCURRING. SEEK SHELTER IN
AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST LEVEL OF A HOUSE OR OFFICE BUILDING.
PLACE AS MANY FLOORS AND WALLS BETWEEN YOU AND THE OUTSIDE AS
POSSIBLE.

That second - and possibly more potent - line might be what you're seeing.

Ya could be. Storm rolling in know. Keeping a close eye out.

Meh, looks like we ended up between stronger parts of the line here.   The worst I have seen so far is 2-3 gusts that were borderline severe in strength.  I would estimate 50-55 eyeballing them but I suppose out in the open they may have been a little stronger.

Nothing severe here.  Radar shows a narrow path between two stronger cells and it looks like I will slide right down that path.  Wind is maybe thirty here so far, tops.  No lightning, just spitting rain but expect more of that.

Peak gust at GSO was 52mph.  That is very much in line with what I saw.  I'm sure the storms will strengthen as they most east, but it was a fairly garden variety storm here that we see quite a few times a year.

Severe parameters in north Ga are pretty stout not as much as eastern NC but cape around 4000 with plenty of Dcape and a decent LI as well.

it should certainly be interesting this afternoon.  until the last hour or so, there was not a cloud in the sky.  most here seeme dubious about any storms in their back yard today. its certainly been hot, was 89 on the way home.  looks like we might be on the tail end of the storms coming out of NC.  hopefully all of the energy isnt going to be stolen by those developing in south tennessee near nw ga lol. 

i was about to post about the dew point and not being all that great but was wrong on that. dewpoint currently 73 but it doesnt really feel taht way. could be the wind (been gusting a lot this afternoon)

I bet we see some warnings start to pop on those storms in AL

The one that just passed over Florence & Muscle Shoals, headed SE, was a mega-boomer with lots of lightning, but the gusts stayed below SVR, with no hail, for us.  It darkened from grey to nearly black-grey as it approached but has eased up a bit (visually) now - except that the lighter color has that "Hail Inside!" greenish tint.

The line looks like crap right now.  I am very surprised it has steadily weakened over the last hour.

Yep, radar definitely looks weaker. There has been a tongue of lower instability (relatively) coming up from the SW to the NE, right through the Triangle all day. Maybe that's the reason? If it explodes once it gets past Johnston Co., we'll know.

Yep, radar definitely looks weaker. There has been a tongue of lower instability (relatively) coming up from the SW to the NE, right through the Triangle all day. Maybe that's the reason? If it explodes once it gets past Johnston Co., we'll know.

Still have 3000 scae and mcape here with high dcape and LI's so I still am thinking I 95 east could get hammered, but the line losing some punch will know how much as soon as RDU updates and we see what kinda wind they reporting.

Archived