• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Severe Weather Event 06/13/13

DaculaWeather

Some gusty winds with the outflow and then pretty much nothing. About what I expected.

I'll trade you my storm for yours lol. Still no power at four hours in Dunwoody. So, I decided to take my car out to get some food. The drive has been unlike any I can recall since hurricane Opal of 1995. I saw two roads blocked off. also saw a third road, Roswell Road, which is a major 5 lane road, blocked halfway across. All of this was within a mile of my home. There's no power anywhere nearby. I headed south on Roswell Road and didn't see power on until Abernathy Road, a couple of miles away. South of there, I still saw tree damage. However, even further south, south of I-285, the power was said to be out. The fast food window lines are jammed with cars.

I got turned away at Wendy's because they ran out of food!! So, I went elsewhere and am about to finally eat. Yeehaw!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll trade you my storm for yours lol. Still no power at four hours in Dunwoody. So, I decided to take my car out to get some food. The drive has been unlike any I can recall since hurricane Opal of 1995. I saw two roads blocked off. also saw a third road, Roswell Road, which is a major 5 lane road, blocked halfway across. All of this was within a mile of my home. There's no power anywhere nearby. I headed south on Roswell Road and didn't see power on until Abernathy Road, a couple of miles away. South of there, I still saw tree damage. However, even further south, south of I-285, the power was said to be out. The fast food window lines are jammed with cars.

I got turned away at Wendy's because they ran out of food!! So, I went elsewhere and am about to finally eat. Yeehaw!

It seems as if the straight line wind damage just stopped about 1-2 miles north of the 75/85 split.  I am currently in the southern portion of Buckhead near where 400 intersects 85, there are virtually no outages here but if you just 3 miles north they are rampant.  I know there is a slight dropoff in elevation as you go north south along 400 from 285 to 85, that could be the difference where the winds did not mix down to the surface further south..

It seems as if the straight line wind damage just stopped about 1-2 miles north of the 75/85 split. I am currently in the southern portion of Buckhead near where 400 intersects 85, there are virtually no outages here but if you just 3 miles north they are rampant. I know there is a slight dropoff in elevation as you go north south along 400 from 285 to 85, that could be the difference where the winds did not mix down to the surface further south..

I went back home a different way. It is even worse than I thought because I saw a whole lot more fallen trees with several on cars. In much of Dunwoody, it literally looks like a solid category one hurricane hit as it isn't too different looking from the damage David caused when it hit Savannah in 1979. In some areas, there are multiple trees down very close to each other. Many of the roads are a big mess due to tree debris and even complete blockages from large fallen trees, necessitating my turning around. The areas I noticed to be the worst were along Mt. Vernon from Abernathy northeastward and eastward well into Dunwoody, Roberts Dr., and on and near Spalding Dr. The power outages I saw were as far south as one mile south of I-285 on Roswell Rd and as far north on Roswell Rd as only one mile south of Roswell. I was never able to tell how far east they went into Dunwoody but it was a good number of miles. Within this area, there are decent sized pockets where power outages were short to nonexistent such as Roswell Rd from I-285 to Abernathy. Dunwoody seemed to be hit somewhat harder than Sandy Spring in general from best I could tell. However, the worst damage seemed to skip around. As bad as was this storm, my immediate area was not even close to the worst hit based on tree damage. The good news is that nothing more than minor injuries have been reported to this point. The area of outages is massive. Reports are that 156,000 customers are without power and no target has been set. Despite my underground lines, I now believe that I could be without power until well into tomorrow and possibly into Saturday based on the massive # of outages.

Edit: surprisingly, my power came back at 3:09 AM. However, it stated on for only 30 seconds. What a tease! Hopefully, this is still a good sign.

Last night was one of the roughest nights in terms of severe wx I've seen in some times, mainly because of the lightning. It was very vivid and colorful, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me there were plenty of times it appeared purple and pink. I've never seen that before. The winds weren't too bad, they were a lot worse obviously in the northern burbs outside of the perimeter. I would estimate in the 35-45 mph range. We manged to hold onto power during the entire event, not even a power flicker.

Still no power here as well. Went to the gym to shower this a.m before heading into work. Freezer full of food and fridge are on a very short lease now 18 hours into this outage. Not sure whether to risk opening the freezer door and having wife stick a bag of ice in there. Uncertain what the highest gust where (local paper says 60 mph), but the winds stayed up in intensity probably for close to 20 or 30 minutes. Usually with thunderstorm complexes the peak wind gust subside from their fevered pitch after about 5-10 minutes max.

Fortunately, my power here in Dunwoody was restored. If my thermostat clock, which says 8:10, happens to be an accurate indicator, my power may have been restored around 3:45 AM. IF so, my outage lasted about 8 hours. Here is a link to an AJC article that covers the metro Atlanta storm effects pretty well:

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/local/clean-up-begins-from-thursday-nights-damaging-stor/nYLFc/

Edit: still no Comcast cable TV/Internet.

One of my co-workers in the Dunwoody area almost hit a telephone pole on Peachtree Dunwoody last night. Apparently it was just about to crash to the ground but luckily didn't fall. Wild night last night for sure!

Here are the pics I took earlier. This was very close to my office on Peachtree Dunwoody. Apparently a big tree almost brought the telephone polls down but somehow they didn't crash to the pavement. My co-worker was lucky!

IMG_20130614_141257.jpg

IMG_20130614_141215.jpg

NOUS42 KFFC 141953

PNSFFC

GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-027-030>039-041>062-066>076-078>086-

089>098-102>113-150800-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

353 PM EDT FRI JUN 14 2013

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR JUNE 13 2013 TORNADO EVENT - UPDATE #4...

...EF-1 TORNADO IN CHEROKEE COUNTY...

...EF-1 TORNADO IN CHEROKEE-COBB-FULTON COUNTIES...

...SURVEY TEAM STILL IN THE FIELD...

.CHEROKEE COUNTY TORNADO...

RATING: EF-1

ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 105 MPH

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 8.5 MILES

PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 75 YARDS

FATALITIES: 0

INJURIES: 9

START DATE: JUNE 13 2013

START TIME: 7:00 PM EDT

START LOCATION: 4 MILES WNW CANTON

START LAT/LON: 34.2662/-84.5574

END DATE: JUNE 13 2013

END TIME: APPROXIMATELY 7:25 PM EDT

END LOCATION: 5 MILES SSE CANTON

END LAT/LON: 34.1705/-84.4666

SURVEY SUMMARY: THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF

PATRIOT TRAIL AND RAMPLEY TRAIL...THEN HEADED SOUTH TOWARDS CANTON

CAUSING GENERALLY TREE DAMAGE. HUNDREDS OF TREES WERE SNAPPED OR

UPROOTED. IN CANTON...ALONG MARIETTA ROAD AND HICKORY FLAT

HIGHWAY...A CHEVRON GAS STATION HAD A PORTION OF ITS ROOF PEELED

BACK AND A GAS PUMP BLOWN OVER. ALONG HICKORY FLAT HIGHWAY DOZENS

OF TREES WERE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. THE TORNADO CURVED TO THE

RIGHT...HEADING SOUTH-SOUTHEAST WITH ADDITIONAL TREE DAMAGE ALONG

ITS APPROXIMATELY 8.5 MILE PATH. THE TORNADO LIFTED NEAR THE

INTERSECTION OF NEW LIGHT ROAD AND HICKORY ROAD.

.CHEROKEE-COBB-FULTON COUNTY TORNADO...

RATING: EF-1

ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 110 MPH

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: TO BE DETERMINED

PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: TO BE DETERMINED

FATALITIES: 0

INJURIES: 0

START DATE: JUNE 13 2013

START TIME: 7:30 PM EDT

START LOCATION: 2 MILES S WOODSTOCK

START LAT/LON: 34.0783/-84.5164

END DATE: JUNE 13 2013

END TIME: 7:43 PM EDT

END LOCATION: SANDY SPRINGS

END LAT/LON: 33.9368/-84.3831

SURVEY SUMMARY: THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN WITHIN A TENTH OF A MILE

OF THE CHEROKEE-COBB COUNTY LINE INSIDE CHEROKEE COUNTY ALONG

WOODHAVEN DRIVE...BRINGING DOWN TREES AND LARGE LIMBS. THE PORTION

OF DAMAGE WITHIN CHEROKEE COUNTY WAS RATED AN EF0. THE TORNADO

THEN TRACKED SOUTHEAST THROUGH COBB COUNTY...WITH SOME OF THE MOST

SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE WENDWOOD DRIVE NE AND NEAR BISHOP LAKE WHERE

DOZENS OF TREES WERE SNAPPED AND UPROOTED...MANY CAUSING DAMAGE TO

HOMES. WITHIN COBB COUNTY THE TORNADO STRENGTHENED TO AN EF-1. THE

TORNADO CONTINUED TO TRACK TO THE SOUTHEAST...MOVING OVER THE

CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER NEAR JOHNSON FERRY ROAD AND RIVERSIDE

DRIVE...WEAKENING TO AN EF-0 AS IT MOVED INTO FULTON COUNTY. THE

TORNADO CONTINUED TO DOWN TREES AS IT TRACKED SOUTHEAST ACROSS

RIVERSIDE DRIVE...THEN DOWNING LARGE LIMBS AND SPLITTING TREES

NEAR ABERNATHY ROAD BEFORE LIFTING.

EF SCALE: THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO THE

FOLLOWING CATEGORIES.

EF0...WEAK......65 TO 85 MPH

EF1...WEAK......86 TO 110 MPH

EF2...STRONG....111 TO 135 MPH

EF3...STRONG....136 TO 165 MPH

EF4...VIOLENT...166 TO 200MPH

EF5...VIOLENT...>200MPH

NOTE:

THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENTS AND PUBLICATION IN

NWS STORM DATA.

$$

Large sections of Dunwoody still have no power. I took a ride to E Cobb, but the tree damage there wasn't as widespread. This includes areas in the path of the tornado at Johnson Ferry and Riverside, where I actually saw no damage. This appears to be a situation in which straight line winds were much more widespread/damaging.

Large sections of Dunwoody still have no power. I took a ride to E Cobb, but the tree damage there wasn't as widespread. This includes areas in the path of the tornado at Johnson Ferry and Riverside, where I actually saw no damage. This appears to be a situation in which straight line winds were much more widespread/damaging.

I looked out the back of my house today and saw more bushes than I remembered being there.  Up close it was an oak  limb, bigger around than my thigh, that tore off 70' up during the storm.  I guess I had better wind blowing than it seemed.  I'll go out in the woods tomorrow and see if any of the dead sentinels the pine beetles left came down on the back fence.  Itr was a nice day today, not too hot, and low humidity.  Felt pretty good for June.  T

Saw some "after the storm pics" on the last page, and here's a couple of mine. Taken in Dahlonega, GA. And yes, the sky (and everything else) really was that shade of orange/gold. 

1000893_578597155505734_2058378704_n.jpg

1011839_578605168838266_1489768395_n.jpg

Rest of the album is here: https://www.facebook.com/tyler.penland/media_set?set=a.578604318838351.1073741830.100000663650926&type=3

Found another huge limb down this afternoon, and it lined with the other, and it broke off about 70 feet up too.  There must have been some action at tree top level in the cell, even all the way down this far from Atl.  It looked like the area of the Derecho that brought a lot of wind north west of Atl came by here with some juice still.  T

Archived