• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Severe Weather Event 06/13/13

DaculaWeather

It certainly is confusing. It looks like the storms are a given, so maybe it would be better to have a tornado watch and issue STS warnings when needed.

I dunno, I don't have a problem with the PDS severe watch. If the setup was more conducive to tornados, then I'd go with a Tornado watch. But in this case, it seems the highest threat is a widespread damaging wind event. Besides, there are many severe storm watches where you have warnings for tornados. I can understand how the public might be confused, I guess. But in most cases, unless there is a lot of discussion specifically about tornados, I'm not sure the general public has much specific awareness of the differences between strong thunderstorms and severe thunderstorms...even with the text of whatever watch might happen to be in place.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, I don't have a problem with the PDS severe watch. If the setup was more conducive to tornados, then I'd go with a Tornado watch. But in this case, it seems the highest threat is a widespread damaging wind event. Besides, there are many severe storm watches where you have warnings for tornados. I can understand how the public might be confused, I guess. But in most cases, unless there is a lot of discussion specifically about tornados, I'm not sure the general public has much specific awareness of the differences between strong thunderstorms and severe thunderstorms...even with the text of whatever watch might happen to be in place.

True. And you can have tornadoes with any severe storm.

It certainly is confusing. It looks like the storms are a given, so maybe it would be better to have a tornado watch and issue STS warnings when needed.

They cant do a  tornado watch this would make people think there was a higher chance of tornados and a tornado watch doesnt do a good job of expressing the real threat which is a straight line wind event, so although a few tornados are possible the real threat for most everyone is 60-100 mph straight line winds and this can and most likely WILL impact a significant portion of the watch area.

Tornado watches get them to listen more than severe. Remember most people are low information everything. I agree with strong unidirectional winds, it's a straight line event. However the public will blow off a severe box. Then they'll say they were not warned. Next they'll claim it was a tornado - you know the same guy abducted by a UFO last night?

The mountains have weakened the southern portion of the line.  Now we have to wait and see how quickly it re-intensifies as it moves into the Piedmont.  It's when not if.

That didn't take long.  It looks like the storms are rebuilding as soon as the leave the highest mountains. A couple over Wilkes county are growing fast.

Huge oak tree just came down in my grandmother's front yard with this line of storms.  No house damage, luckily.  Can't say the same for the neighbor across the street. Their own oak fell and destroyed the garage.

JEFFERSON TN-COCKE TN-SEVIER TN-
342 PM EDT THU JUN 13 2013

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 400 PM EDT FOR SEVIER...
COCKE AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES...

AT 342 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A TORNADO.  THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR CHESTNUT HILL...OR
7 MILES SOUTHEAST OF DANDRIDGE...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...
  NEWPORT...CHESTNUT HILL...BYBEE...PITTMAN CENTER...COSBY...HARTFORD
  AND DEL RIO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER A
WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT IS
AVAILABLE...SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN
INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO
COVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

Archived