EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
June 2013 General Discussion/Obs

snowlover2

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the 100, but I'd go 85% on the 80 dew.  I think there could be several days many of us see 80+ dews once the (frankenstein hybrid) corn crop matures in July combined with all this soggy landscape.

LAF, outside of some Iowa locales, is the 80º dewpoint champion of the Midwest...so the odds favor it happening. If it stays wet, then it's probably a near lock. 

100's are pretty rare for most of us, last summer be damned. It's like March 2012 syndrome all over again. 

Alas, Stebo is predicting ORD to tie their second highest temp on record this summer: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40356-june-2013-forecast-contest-temperatures/?p=2304955

So, you all have that going for you.

It was a shot in the dark to be honest, though I do see Chicago hitting at least 100 once.

It was a shot in the dark to be honest, though I do see Chicago hitting at least 100 once.

Hey, go big or go home. :D

Don't see ORD hitting 100º this summer personally, but we'll see. Even if it's a warm/hot summer, odds are stacked against that happening.

For those who were mentioning the record low lake levels a few months back, this article in the Detroit News this morning from the AP is pretty interesting

Duluth, Minn. — The level of Lake Superior jumped 9 inches in May, more than twice the normal monthly increase and the second most for any month since 1918, a new report said.

Lake Superior usually rises only about 4 inches each May. But thanks to late snowicon1.png and a cold spring that held back runoff until ice and snow melted, May more than made up for the difference.

The lake now sits just 7 inches below its long-term average for June 1. It is a full 3 inches above the level at this time last year, the International Lake Superior Board of Control reported Friday.

Lakes Huron and Michigan also continued their rise from near-record lows in late winter, the Duluth News Tribune reported. The lakes rose another 5 inches in May, compared with the usual 3 inches for the month.

The lakes remain 20 inches below the long-term average and 2 inches below the May 1 level of 2012. But Lakes Huron and Michigan are recovering from seasonal, winter lows at one of the fastest paces on record.

Improving lake levels are welcome not just for recreational boaters but also for the Great Lakes shipping industry. Many of the largest freighters have had to cross the lakes with less than full loads, increasing prices and energy use and raising costs for raw material shippers such as taconite plants.

Sure the Lakes are still down a touch from last year, but these are very significant gains that hopefully we can build upon going forward.

Hey, go big or go home. :D

Don't see ORD hitting 100º this summer personally, but we'll see. Even if it's a warm/hot summer, odds are stacked against that happening.

Not just the odd's but alot of other things going against another hot/above normal summer this year. The pattern of the past few years ( which brought us our hot/above normal summers...Hot/humid 2010-2011 or hot/dry 2012 ) is basically gone. Still other ways to do it but yeah it is gonna be difficult. My idea is for near normal temps.

FWIW.. The euro weeklies overall has June below normal. Meaning each week is showing normal to below normal temps. They go to July 1st. Coldest weeks ( relative to normal ) is this week and then the week of June 17th till the 24th. More interesting is that there is no heat signatures at all showing up across the whole lower 48 for the second half of June. +0.5 showing up in the far sw in week 3 but other then that the weeklies show normal to below for the country as a whole for week 3 and 4..

FWIW.. The euro weeklies overall has June below normal. Meaning each week is showing normal to below normal temps. They go to July 1st. Coldest weeks ( relative to normal ) is this week and then the week of June 17th till the 24th. More interesting is that there is no heat signatures at all showing up across the whole lower 48 for the second half of June. +0.5 showing up in the far sw in week 3 but other then that the weeklies show normal to below for the country as a whole for week 3 and 4..

Lock it up. :)

Wasn't for doubts about August ( could torch ) i would have went solidly below normal for temps this summer.

Well, if I have to be "sensible" about my preferences...two months of summer being below or normal, and one being above is alright I guess. :lol:

More than anything though, I'd really like to avoid a lame dry summer.  

Probably not too many. 1999 the last 100º without a drought?

I'd say 2011...we hit 101 on July 21. July was a bit drier than average at LAF but we had a precip surplus that year up to that point.

Looking back at LAF's 100 degree days in recent decades, it's very obvious that it's hard to put together too many in years that aren't dry. Barring a rapid/prolonged turn to dry conditions, I'd say the odds favor 0 or 1 day with highs AOA 100.

Yup...getting some sun here now and again...hopefully we got completely clear or else its jeans and jacket weather!  Wind is chilly.

Removed a 5 year old apricot tree that was just in the wrong spot...  i never could tell where it was grafted, but after cutting the trunk a few times with the miter saw, found where the union was... 

graft.jpg

Bottom is the rootstock, while the top (named variety) is the top... 

Doesn't much feel like Summer.

APX:

CHECK OF THE CONUS TEMPERATURE MAP SHOWS NORTHERN MICHIGAN IS THE COLDEST LOCATION IN THE CONTIGUOUS U.S.

latest_tair.png

Its gonna be cold. Looking forward to it.

I will be in your neck of the woods this week. Last week I was in East Jordan, Mancelona, Kalkaska, Boyne City, Charlevoix, Torch Lake, Bellaire etc... Love the Boyne City area very nice. Charlevoix is nice as well. Very vibrant area especially this time of year.

Archived