• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2013 General Discussion/Obs

snowlover2

Really nice morning. Sunny and in the upper 60s right now. Bottomed out at 59°.

A more modest 15.69" of rain here in the last 3 months. Last Apr., May, June I only had 6.93". What a difference a year makes!

Side note: Low of 98° in Death Valley this morning. Looking at about 130° today.  :yikes:  :maphot:

Yeah that's insane.  Been watching the temps there the last few days.  I found four different sites with four different temp readings around DV.  Apparently none of them are the official reading that gets reported, since both yesterday and the day before it was different than these four sites.  Can't believe you can't find the official site anywhere on the web. 

Here's the four I've found.  Again, none of these had the official high of 127 yesterday.  Instead they were 128/124/125/123

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/death-valley-ca/92328/current-weather/2258469

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=vef&sid=ISWC1&num=72&raw=0

http://weather.weatherbug.com/CA/Death%20Valley-weather.html

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/vef/deathvalley/

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April: 8.24"

May: 8.06"

June: 7.41"

5 of our last 7 Junes have had well above normal rainfall(I began recording rainfall 7 years ago).  There was one June with normal rainfall, and of course last year we came up well short of normal.

The weather this week looks fantastic.

Not so fantastic out this way. We're gonna get your wet stuff. Well over 4" of rain in the past week with this to come:

• This Afternoon Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 4pm, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
  • Tonight Scattered showers, mainly before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Northeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Monday A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Northeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • Monday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 62. Northeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
  • Tuesday Showers likely, with thunderstorms also possible after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
  • Tuesday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Wednesday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 79.
  • Wednesday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.
  • Independence Day A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 81.
  • Thursday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.
  • Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 82.
  • Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.
  • Saturday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 84.

I was watching my local noon news and the met was saying that a storm to the west and/or north of me was producing rain rates of (and this is not a typo) 13" of rain per hour which is 1" almost every 5 minutes. I don't think I've ever heard rates that high before. Just insane stuff there.

I was watching my local noon news and the met was saying that a storm to the west and/or north of me was producing rain rates of (and this is not a typo) 13" of rain per hour which is 1" almost every 5 minutes. I don't think I've ever heard rates that high before. Just insane stuff there.

Nice rates. Radar estimates do show 3" dollops between you and Lima, with one 4" spot. These are 1 hour estimates!

30 day precipitation totals through the morning of June 28. A few specks of 18.00"+ in southwest Wisconsin. Impressive.

attachicon.gif30 day precip through 6:28:2013.png

I love these maps.  There is quite a difference in rainfall between northeast Iowa and southeast Iowa.  There is a dot in sw Wisconsin that got as much as 18 inches while a spot southwest of the Quad Cities got about 2 inches.  Wow.  Northern Michigan is having a very different summer than we are.

That's like tropical storm type rainfall rates with orographic lift in play. Insane that the atmopshere can hold that much moisture!

Really nice day today near 70 close to the lake here in Milwaukee. Kinda beats yesterday, which had more clouds around.

A+ day today for late June. 73° and mostly sunny all day. 

Would not want to be dealing with these temperatures that are going on right now:

126° Death Valley (High 127°)

117° Las Vegas (downtown) (High 119°)

118° Bullhead City, AZ (119°)

114° Phoenix, AZ (High 115°)

June wrap up.

Average High: 74.07°, departure: -1.63°

Average Low: 55.23°, departure: -0.37°

19 days below normal, 11 above normal.

Overall departure: -1.00°

5.60" of rain. 16 days with measurable rain.

Highest temperature: 89°, Lowest 39°

Its wonderful having the windows open and not the AC on as June comes to a close! This June was cloudier and wetter than normal, with cooler than normal high temps and milder than normal low temps.

The month will finish at DTW with a mean temp just a HAIR above normal, but this due entirely to nighttime lows, as the average high was below normal.

Avg High...78.5F (-0.8F)

Avg Low....60.8F (+1.3F)

Mean........69.7F (+0.3F)

Max- 89F (23rd)

Min- 46F (3rd)

Precip- 6.01" (9th wettest June on record)

June 2012- 22 days of 80F+, 9 days of 90F+

June 2013- 13 days of 80F+, 0 days of 90F+

Talk about a pleasant start to summer!

Toledo, Ohio, June 2013 Climate summary

TOTAL FOR MONTH:   6.35 inches   DPTR FM NORMAL:    2.78  inches  

That is a lot of rain for Toledo. Toledo has not had 6" in any month since November 2011.

This is the 8th wettest June for Toledo.

Temperature departure from average: -0.5 degrees F

Overall, Ohio had a very rainy month. Some sections had 150-200% of normal. June is normally the rainiest month of the year for Toledo (and other locations) so 150% of normal is a lot of water.

Toledo, Ohio, June 2013 Climate summary

TOTAL FOR MONTH:   6.35 inches   DPTR FM NORMAL:    2.78  inches  

That is a lot of rain for Toledo. Toledo has not had 6" in any month since November 2011.

This is the 8th wettest June for Toledo.

Temperature departure from average: -0.5 degrees F

Overall, Ohio had a very rainy month. Some sections had 150-200% of normal. June is normally the rainiest month of the year for Toledo (and other locations) so 150% of normal is a lot of water.

Yeah June is usually our big severe weather month, nothing extreme but lots of troughiness and storms. Today we received 2.5" south of the city about 25 miles away

June 2013 in Indiana: near normal temperatures and wetter than normal.

Bloomington - BMG

Mean temp: 72.0º +0.6º

Total precipitation: 5.57" +0.68"

Evansville - EVV

Mean temp: 74.6º -0.2º

Total precipitation: 7.55" +3.77"

Fort Wayne - FWA

Mean temperature: 70.4º +0.3º

Total precipitation: 5.91" +1.75"

Goshen - GSH

Mean temperature: 69.7º +1.0º

Total precipitation: 5.40" +1.34"

Indianapolis - IND

Mean temperature: 72.0º 0.0º

Total precipitation: 3.66" -0.59"

Indianapolis Eagle Creek - EYE

Mean temperature: 71.1º -1.2º

Total precipitation: 5.05" +0.66"

Lafayette - LAF

Mean temperature: 70.2º -1.3º

Total precipitation: 4.27" +0.17" (missing data)

Muncie - MIE

Mean temperature: 71.1º -0.3º

Total precipitation: 4.98" +0.32"

North Webster - IWX

Mean temperature: 68.7º -0.7º

Total precipitation: 7.91" +3.11"

South Bend - SBN

Mean temperature: 69.0º -0.1º

Total precipitation: 3.43" -0.36"

Terre Haute - HUF

Mean temperature: 72.2º -0.2º

Total precipitation: 8.79" +4.35"