• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
For Those About To Sweat ...We Salute You..Heat and Humidity

Damage In Tolland

I've been driving the route 8 to route 7 corridor for nine years and nothing came close to the damage sandy caused on the merritt.  There are still trees down in spots...

Here are more white pine damage/removal photos:

http://sheltonherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Shelton-Aquarion-ForestLog.gif

http://www.thereddingpilot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/red-ump-trees-5.23.13.jpg

http://www.aquarion.com/userfiles/image/CWSF2.jpg

http://www.aquarion.com/userfiles/image/CWSF1.jpg

I'm surprised because the damage in Greenwich, north Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien/Westport was horrific in March 2010. Almost all white pine. Some of those streets in Greenwich were closed for 5 or 6 days. 

Seems like things moved a little more quickly cleaning up after Sandy but maybe that was better preparation/respsonse?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised because the damage in Greenwich, north Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien/Westport was horrific in March 2010. Almost all white pine. Some of those streets in Greenwich were closed for 5 or 6 days. 

Seems like things moved a little more quickly cleaning up after Sandy but maybe that was better preparation/respsonse?

I guess it could have been worse south of route 7, but Sandy was definitely the worst I have seen for my daily commuting stretch of the merritt.  The amazing part was Irene took down the weak stuff!

The state has really been cleaning house from westport to the state line as well.  Cutting everything 30 feet back from the merritt...basically ruining the feel of the road.  They are now onto the slow process of stump removal ...

http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/State-clearing-Merritt-Parkway-perimeter-of-4122388.php#photo-3901155

Guys, you don't need sun to get warm in a pattern that way, particularly if the wave traverses west of the region.  Straight up advection will foist rich DP air mass right across the area.   

Obviously where the wave goes will determine the sfc details ...we'll have to wait and see.  If the wave bends S of the region, sure... 

I guess it could have been worse south of route 7, but Sandy was definitely the worst I have seen for my daily commuting stretch of the merritt.  The amazing part was Irene took down the weak stuff!

The state has really been cleaning house from westport to the state line as well.  Cutting everything 30 feet back from the merritt...basically ruining the feel of the road.  They are now onto the slow process of stump removal ...

http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/State-clearing-Merritt-Parkway-perimeter-of-4122388.php#photo-3901155

Long overdue.  Alot of invasive non native species right on the road in spots...the stretch they re-did from Fairfield-Trumbull turned out pretty nice with the smaller native trees they planted in the spots that were clear cut

Long overdue.  Alot of invasive non native species right on the road in spots...the stretch they re-did from Fairfield-Trumbull turned out pretty nice with the smaller native trees they planted in the spots that were clear cut

Yes, but they clear cut...took a 30' measurement from the road and cut...not being selective of species or "damage from sandy" which was how they originally sold this work to the public.

Yes, but they clear cut...took a 30' measurement from the road and cut...not being selective of species or "damage from sandy" which was how they originally sold this work to the public.

I hear you...I think some of it comes from that random tree that fell and hit a family of 4 a few years back (and killed both parents)   No bad weather or anything it was 10pm or something like that.

Must be grass cause there might be five pines total in all of southie. But I don't know a damn thing about trees, I'm assuming your talking about the xmas looking type of pines.

No.  Those are usually spruce trees.  Spruce trees are real evergreens....white pines are just posers ;)

I hear you...I think some of it comes from that random tree that fell and hit a family of 4 a few years back (and killed both parents)   No bad weather or anything it was 10pm or something like that.

Damn... talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Guys, you don't need sun to get warm in a pattern that way, particularly if the wave traverses west of the region.  Straight up advection will foist rich DP air mass right across the area.   

Obviously where the wave goes will determine the sfc details ...we'll have to wait and see.  If the wave bends S of the region, sure... 

12z GFS takes the low well south/east of the SNE mainland.  Going to be tough to advect muggy air in if that track results. 

@ryanhanrahan: Wow! Per KFOR El Reno tornado that killed 4 storm chasers was EF-5 and 2.6 miles wide (widest on record).

from Twitter!!!!

Patrick Marsh @pmarshwx

People focusing on EF5 rating and 295+ mph winds of El Reno tornado. How about 150+ mph forward speed of subvortices near researcher deaths?

speaking of going overboard...big severe day in NE somewhere around the 11th/12th? 

Actually looks very solid on the 12z gfs, 6/10 though on that model.  nearly 60-70kts at 500mb to 40kts at 850,  overall look of directional shear too along w/ speed.   Hope that holds.

Saturday aftn could be in jeopardy if we get a hang back area of low pressure closer to the Mid Atlantic and we are left with E-NE winds. Distinct possibilty.

This Euro run fists us with the low, though.  It would be 18 hours of flood threat, followed by a sharp cut-off and lingering elevated DPs on this run, with just an off-shore drift to the air mass (no backside CAA) on this run.   Saturday...   

This Euro run fists us with the low, though.  It would be 18 hours of flood threat, followed by a sharp cut-off and lingering elevated DPs on this run, with just an off-shore drift to the air mass (no backside CAA) on this run.   Saturday...   

Yeah it develops some NW winds..would turn into a warm aftn. I'm still a little concerned, but verbatim that wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah it develops some NW winds..would turn into a warm aftn. I'm still a little concerned, but verbatim that wouldn't be too bad.

And it may not be "torrid" in the hot sense of the word, but that is a real sack-sticker afternoon if the sun pops, because you shoot to 80/70 type stuff.  You know...sweat just walking out to check the mail.  

I'm loving the title of this thread.....let me take a gander at the actual or forecatsed highs for the week at hand:

Monday-- 70.6

Tuesday  67.3

Wed        73 (progged)

Thur        70    "

Fri           67    "

Sat          69   "

Thursday and Friday will wind up lower to be sure.

So----when is all this sweating supposed to begin?

I'm loving the title of this thread.....let me take a gander at the actual or forecatsed highs for the week at hand:

Monday-- 70.6

Tuesday  67.3

Wed        73 (progged)

Thur        70    "

Fri           67    "

Sat          69   "

It already happened to start the month. Probably won't have another shot until at least after mid-month.

Monday-- 70.6

Tuesday  67.3

Wed        73 (progged)

Thur        70    "

Fri           67    "

Sat          69   "

June monthly departures:

Bos +12.8

Bdl +11.2

Pvd +9.8

Orh +10.8

Psf +9.0

All four sne majors had four days in a row of double digit positive departures, this weekend will be a humid stank fest, and even today on this chilly day, my high is 2 degrees above normal so far at 76.  You must live in a different universe............enjoy the humidity this weekend, its going to be absolutely asslicious!

Solid win for the good guys this weekend, today was simply incredible and makes one wonder why anyone would ever want to freeze there ass off ever. Top 3 day of the year.

Best spring ever III chugging along.

Well everyone must be a good guy because I'm not sure who is wishing for a rainy weekend, lol. So win for all. Remember there can be a difference between talking about weather and the possibilities vs what we actually want to happen.

There's this funny thing that goes on, where if Coastalwx says it may linger on Saturday in eastern areas, that doesn't mean he wants it to linger around late on Saturday.

June monthly departures:

Bos +12.8

Bdl +11.2

Pvd +9.8

Orh +10.8

Psf +9.0

All four sne majors had four days in a row of double digit positive departures, this weekend will be a humid stank fest, and even today on this chilly day, my high is 2 degrees above normal so far at 76. You must live in a different universe............enjoy the humidity this weekend, its going to be absolutely asslicious!

lol at the departures 4 days into the month.

You must live in a different universe, too.

High of 62F today and was in the 50s under sunshine until 3pm. No highs over 70F this week should lead to a below normal week.

Frost advisories out for some counties tonight...expecting 35-40F tonight here.

Beautiful day though and makes me wonder why anyone would ever want heat, humidity, and buggy hazed over views. This crystal clear low dew air is awesome.

Temp was in the upper 30s to mid 40s above 3000ft with wind chills below freezing at times.

980313_10101582767727650_1405423066_o.jp

Archived