amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ianwood's Chase Thread - 2013

Deck Pic

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian posted on twitter that chasers were blaming locals for the traffic jams and accidents. You know, cause getting the best video is more important than people fleeing to save their lives!

Yeah, who cares about locals who deal with this stuff all the time? Severe weather should make officials declare a storm chaser emergency where everyone should stay off the roads so TIVs and so on can have free reign on the highways.

Just effing dumb

We busted but were totally vindicated in our choice not to chase near OKC. The problem is a lot of dumb**** people are chasers... Including well knowns. We saw OKC was the target and tried to find another despite knowing we had less chance of a good tor. A field full of psychos who have been blown up into important people for no reason. I'm glad to be a nobody in chasing as not to be too heavily associated. It's a shame for researchers or careful advanced amateurs.

I know you enjoy doing your chasing but I never got the sense you were thrill junkies. You, Mark and JD have a great outlook on where to go and how to stay safe. People should listen to you guys.

Can one of you guys explain a little why today got so jacked, and people are saying stuff like this?

Mattie,  a congested area and a really moist airmass that made rain wrapped storms the most likely type made this a really risky day for chasing.  Ianwood were smart in staying away from the congestion.  Others weren't as smart and put themselved at risk for little benefit except ratings.  Watch TWC do a special on their chase teams experience.  Eventually,  someone affiliated with the media will be killed by a storm during a chase.  He or she will be eulogized as some type of super professional for their work while in reality they are were being irresponsible. 

Mattie,  a congested area and a really moist airmass that made rain wrapped storms the most likely type made this a really risky day for chasing.  Ianwood were smart in staying away from the congestion.  Others weren't as smart and put themselved at risk for little benefit except ratings.  Watch TWC do a special on their chase teams experience.  Eventually,  someone affiliated with the media will be killed by a storm during a chase.  He or she will be eulogized as some type of super professional for their work while in reality they are were being irresponsible.

Thanks, Wes. That makes absolutely perfect sense. I'm a meteorological neophyte, so I wouldn't even know about rain-wrapped storms if someone didn't point it out.

Yeah I think we made the right call even though we might have been able to briefly see the tornado. Of course no one talks to the guys who made the smart play by not adding to the problems in a metro area. Our buddy who is a veteran going back to the 1980s also skipped that play and strongly advised doing so beforehand. We knew the best ingredients were up there but also thought there would be sustained supercells south. The cap ended up too strong away from the front tho.

Mark and I will probably write something as to why we didn't join in. It wasn't the first time in the chase we played it much safer than many folks.

Seeing Moore in person earlier in the day really drive home that you don't want to be in a car against a big tornado. OKC metro is a nightmare for traffic even in a normal situation.. congested and lots of construction. one key to chasing is always having an out. hard to gaurantee that around there especially near rush hour.

Yeah I think we made the right call even though we might have been able to briefly see the tornado. Of course no one talks to the guys who made the smart play by not adding to the problems in a metro area. Our buddy who is a veteran going back to the 1980s also skipped that play and strongly advised doing so beforehand. We knew the best ingredients were up there but also thought there would be sustained supercells south. The cap ended up too strong away from the front tho.

Mark and I will probably write something as to why we didn't join in. It wasn't the first time in the chase we played it much safer than many folks.

Seeing Moore in person earlier in the day really drive home that you don't want to be in a car against a big tornado. OKC metro is a nightmare for traffic even in a normal situation.. congested and lots of construction. one key to chasing is always having an out. hard to gaurantee that around there especially near rush hour.

Ian, this is very true. I don't care how 'spectacular' a shot is, if you are putting yourself or others in danger, that is just plain dumb in my book. You and group did the right thing. The others, I can't speak for them mainly because I wasn't there, but sounds like the 'in the moment thing' clouded the thought process a little bit maybe? I saw about Samaras, his son and Carl Young, that is so very sad, and I will be praying for their families.

Continue to safely bring us those great pics! 

I figured it was going to be a noob and not a long time chaser that would be killed one day. Tim was a good dude.

He always seemed very conservative on the side of safety while chasing. Surprised to see it was him.

I've always said this would happen sooner rather than later. Wait until it happens to a van tour filled with people.

Congratulations on the banner chasecation, guys. I think you more than made up for the past two. I regret that yet again we never met up. Ironically, instead of that being because you all were mainly chasing upslope in WY while I stayed home, this time it was so active I could hardly keep my head above water. Great video and pics from almost every day you were out, including the twilight catch in C NE I'm still jealous of after a few wedges since.

Congratulations on the banner chasecation, guys. I think you more than made up for the past two. I regret that yet again we never met up. Ironically, instead of that being because you all were mainly chasing upslope in WY while I stayed home, this time it was so active I could hardly keep my head above water. Great video and pics from almost every day you were out, including the twilight catch in C NE I'm still jealous of after a few wedges since.

Thanks Brett. It would have great to meet up. We didn't get to see a number of folks we would have like to have seen. Mostly because we ended up on the move nonstop etc.  Thought we were going to hit the Weather Center last Fri but our (JT's) contact was busy.. so we went to Moore instead. 

Looking back... I should tripod more. I am still new enough to tornadoes that I'm always afraid they will disappear in 20 seconds. 

Until next time (which sadly might not be next year for me). 

Archived