Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Ianwood's Chase Thread - 2013

Deck Pic

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they on this monster?

Hope they were not particularly close. That was a nasty radar signature.

Edited to add: blow by blow coverage starting on page 25. It's bad in Moore, OK.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40284-may-15-20-severe-weather-obsdiscussion-part-2/page-25

We hit the first tor warned cell which dropped one but we couldn't see it. Headed to red river cell now. Scary stuff up north. We passed thru there on the way here. Tornado magnet.

Some more pics from the weekend: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/05/20/a-weekend-of-storms-in-kansas-and-oklahoma-photos/

We are about an hour south of OKC now. Storms going pretty early for my liking but we will see.

Damn Ian, I don't know what you do for a living, but if it isn't photography you need a career switch. Those photos are incredible. I sure am glad this is working out for you guys.

Weather channel just said the Moore tornado was 2.5 miles wide! I've never heard of that.

Would be tie or record. Forget how wide Hallam NE was. 2.25 or 2.5x

This is totally not directed at you, Ian, because I'm pretty sure you're talking about the conditions, not the videos and photos.....just a general observation from today.

Normal chase-days are pretty exciting to keep up with the updates throughout the afternoon. On a day where workers might have to pull multiple kid bodies from an elementary school, it's just an off-moment juxtaposition to be reading about chasers lamenting how they couldn't get a good tornado shot. 

This is totally not directed at you, Ian, because I'm pretty sure you're talking about the conditions, not the videos and photos.....just a general observation from today.

Normal chase-days are pretty exciting to keep up with the updates throughout the afternoon. On a day where workers might have to pull multiple kid bodies from an elementary school, it's just an off-moment juxtaposition to be reading about chasers lamenting how they couldn't get a good tornado shot.

Fair enough. I am mobile and can't really follow it well. This is the moral dilemma of chasing. It's goin to happen one way or another. Chasers prob don't save the lives they think they do but they certainly help. Sadly in a case like this violent tornadoes kill a lot of people when they hit a city. I am glad we weren't there. Seeing the pics makes me sick. That said I'm not going to come home tomorrow and will thoroughly enjoy our next field tornado if there is one x

Fair enough. I am mobile and can't really follow it well. This is the moral dilemma of chasing. It's goin to happen one way or another. Chasers prob don't save the lives they think they do but they certainly help. Sadly in a case like this violent tornadoes kill a lot of people when they hit a city. I am glad we weren't there. Seeing the pics makes me sick. That said I'm not going to come home tomorrow and will thoroughly enjoy our next field tornado if there is one x

Understood, and that's exactly what I meant--- you guys aren't in the chasing-disaster category at all. 

This is a debate that comes up every year and there's always varying opinions. As long as chasers are respectful and do not get in the way of emergency officials during a situation like this, I don't have a problem with it.

I told Ian this over text, but I'll say it here too... I'm glad you guys went south instead of staying north towards OKC. Sorry you guys didn't get any tornadoes today, but am glad you all are safe

I expected about what happened for us. I was nervous today.. Bad terrain plus what happened. Getting 3 days in a row is pretty hard. Something to shoot for in the future. ;)

It is a good thing they caught some early....interest in the success of their chase is going to go down about 1000%...I will still follow....

I'm probably going to stop posting about it on FB at least. Well at least till we get another tornado. ;p

Archived