joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AIATAs I always thought. November is different. Also, maybe we can get the weak to neutral mild October cool November?about ready to call the pattern change after a big mid October storm, you on the bus?

Yeah just unsure of whether it's 10/15 or 10/25. Very 2002esque October shaping up arguing for around 10/15.

for NYC if December is warm the chances are very good there will be less snow than average...the top 33 warmest Decembers had less snow on average...The only great winter with a mild December was 1957-58 here...last year was slightly below the average for sjnow but we did pick up a 10"+ snowfall...That only happened 6 of the 33 years...only 3 of the 33 winters were above the average seasonal snowfall with a mild December...

Wonder what the correlation maps would look like using warm Octobers, cold November's with SNE winter's. The sites are shut off so maybe someone knows.

without the maps the years with an above normal October and below normal November...2010 just missed...

1947...+6.7 -3.5

1955...+2.9 -3.4

1959...+2.9 -1.9

1968...+3.6 -0.8

1995...+4.7 -4.1

2000...+0.1 -2.4

2010...+1.2+0.2

These were great years in NYC and I think your area...2000 and 2010 are borderline examples...

Wonder what the correlation maps would look like using warm Octobers, cold November's with SNE winter's. The sites are shut off so maybe someone knows.

without the maps the years with an above normal October and below normal November...2010 just missed...

1947...+6.7 -3.5

1955...+2.9 -3.4

1959...+2.9 -1.9

1968...+3.6 -0.8

1995...+4.7 -4.1

2000...+0.1 -2.4

2010...+1.2+0.2

These were great years in NYC and I think your area...2000 and 2010 are borderline examples...

Most if lot all above normal snow years for BOS.

1947-8, 1995-6 are #3 and 1 respectively. 2010-11 had the epic 6 weeks. 1968-9 had 2 KUs . 1959-60 had the huge KU in early March.

1955-56 had the epic finish.

Wow what a list....no clunkers!

Most if lot all above normal snow years for BOS.1947-8, 1995-6 are #3 and 1 respectively. 2010-11 had the epic 6 weeks. 1968-9 had 2 KUs . 1959-60 had the huge KU in early March.1955-56 had the epic finish. Wow what a list....no clunkers!

Wow seems pretty sweet, also seems to increase our odds of getting a KU, thanks Unc and Jerry

Whether it means anything for the winter or not, this rate of recovery in sea ice is fantastic.  We ended up tied for 2006 after being in mid ranked with other record years.  Also, looping the animations at NIC suggests that the sea ice is nearly making land contact already on the Siberian side.  

ims_data.jpg

Interestingly enough, 2006 was the last year that had a prolonged period of +AO for the previous several months (late spring onward). My thinking is the lower than normal H5 anomalies over recent months within the Arctic circle have contributed to the rapid sea ice increase, in addition to weak solar variables (though playing a lesser role than the tropospheric pattern).

1947...+6.7 -3.5

1955...+2.9 -3.4

1959...+2.9 -1.9

1968...+3.6 -0.8

1995...+4.7 -4.1

2000...+0.1 -2.4

2010...+1.2+0.2

Good list. If one looks at NAO/AO values, the progression of a +NAO/AO October to -NAO/AO November is also a very favorable one for the ensuing winter (correlation coefficient of almost 0.7). The + to - change in arctic / atlantic indices coincides well with the warm to cold progression.

Good list. If one looks at NAO/AO values, the progression of a +NAO/AO October to -NAO/AO November is also a very favorable one for the ensuing winter (correlation coefficient of almost 0.7). The + to - change in arctic / atlantic indices coincides well with the warm to cold progression.

nice, will be interesting to see what transpires in November.

nice, will be interesting to see what transpires in November.

I found some more years but they weren't that great around NYC...

1920...+4.2 -3.1

1949...+6.2 -1.2

1954...+4.8 -1.1

1971...+5.8 -2.6

2007...+6.7 -2.3

Well the first 3 were snow clunkers. Overall I like our chances.

Great for I-95 but not sure about the northeast as a region.

50% of normal snowfall at BTV and one of the worst mid-winter snowpacks in the mountains...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

'60-'61 was horrific for NNE. At least N VT/N NH.

'95-'96 is a much better example of a total clobbering for everyone in the northeast...interior/coast/northern/southern...didn't matter. Everyone got theirs at some point...and got it big.

:snowing:  That winter was amazing would love to see another one like it

'60-'61 was horrific for NNE. At least N VT/N NH.

'95-'96 is a much better example of a total clobbering for everyone in the northeast...interior/coast/northern/southern...didn't matter. Everyone got theirs at some point...and got it big.

Thanks for the Welcome from Long Island but have a condo at Mt Snow Vt so I read the New England forum to to gauge my chances of good snow when we head to Vermont.I'm a snow nut like most here and love to be out in it in the mountains because they celebrate it while back home most curse it.Lax is short for Lacrosse both my girls play in college and I used to coach them when the were younger

Thanks for the Welcome from Long Island but have a condo at Mt Snow Vt so I read the New England forum to to gauge my chances of good snow when we head to Vermont.I'm a snow nut like most here and love to be out in it in the mountains because they celebrate it while back home most curse it.Lax is short for Lacrosse both my girls play in college and I used to coach them when the were younger

Well you're with snow loving friends (most of us) here. They celebrate it on the Tug as well. Places to visit...

Archived