joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 General Discussion Part 2

MidwestChaser

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

La Crosse, WI (LSE) statistics for March 1-April 15...last year versus this year. This should make daddylonglegs all warm and fuzzy.

March 1-April 15, 2012

Mean temperature: 50.1º

Snowfall: 0.5"

March 1-April 15, 2013

Mean temperature: 30.1º

Snowfall: 19.2"

50º+ temperatures

March 1-April 15, 2012: 35 days

March 1-April 15, 2013: 7 days

60º+ temperatures

March 1-April 15, 2012: 28 days

March 1-April 15, 2013: 0 days

70º+ temperatures

March 1-April 15, 2012: 13 days

March 1-April 15, 2013: 0 days

32º or lower minimum temperatures

March 1-April 15, 2012: 14 days

March 1-April 15, 2013: 37 days

Pretty sad stats there...  Another turd today, but at least its sunny (but windy)... 

12z GFS really doesn't show anything until late April around here..

North Dakota should be vacated...send robots in to pump the oil and do the farming :)

Ishpeming/Negaunee area, it is West of Marquette.

Ok. I should have known what the watershed was called in that area. I've only been to the area about 10 times! lol

Speaking of the U.P. - a SWS was just issued for flooding and ice jams as the next storm looks warm enough for mostly rain in the eastern and southern areas.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI450 AM EDT TUE APR 16 2013MIZ001>007-009>014-084-085-162200-KEWEENAW-ONTONAGON-NORTHERN HOUGHTON-BARAGA-MARQUETTE-ALGER-LUCE-GOGEBIC-IRON-DICKINSON-MENOMINEE-DELTA-SOUTHERN SCHOOLCRAFT-SOUTHERN HOUGHTON-NORTHERN SCHOOLCRAFT-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COPPER HARBOR...ONTONAGON...HOUGHTON...HANCOCK...L`ANSE...GWINN...MARQUETTE...GRAND MARAIS...MUNISING...NEWBERRY...IRONWOOD...IRON RIVER...IRON MOUNTAIN...MENOMINEE...ESCANABA...GLADSTONE...MANISTIQUE...KENTON...SIDNAW...SENEY450 AM EDT TUE APR 16 2013 /350 AM CDT TUE APR 16 2013/...MESSY SPRING STORM TO AFFECT THE REGION LATE THIS WEEK...A SERIES OF LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS LIFTING FROM THE SOUTHERN PLAINSACROSS THE GREAT LAKES WILL BRING A WINTRY MIX OF RAIN...FREEZINGRAIN...AND SNOW ACROSS WEST AND CENTRAL UPPER MICHIGAN WEDNESDAYNIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY. THIS STORM WILL COME IN TWO WAVES...WITH THEHEAVIEST PERIODS OF PRECIPITATION EXPECTED WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTOTHURSDAY MORNING...THEN AGAIN THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MOST OF FRIDAY.THE GREATEST CHANCE FOR SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE OVER WESTERNUPPER MICHIGAN WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...THEN OVER THE ENTIREAREA LATE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. STRONG WINDS ON FRIDAY MAYALSO OCCUR...ESPECIALLY NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR. THE GREATEST CHANCE FORSIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT OVER INLANDPORTIONS OF CENTRAL UPPER MICHIGAN.TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO BE WARM ENOUGH TO RESULT IN MAINLY RAINFROM SOUTHERN INTO EASTERN UPPER MICHIGAN. THE RAIN COMBINED WITHRECENT WET WEATHER AND MELTING SNOW MAY LEAD TO PONDING OF WATER ONROADS AND THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAMS TO FORM ON RIVERS STILL COVEREDIN ICE.ALTHOUGH DETAILS ARE FAR FROM CERTAIN CONCERNING THIS WINTER STORM...THEREIS AN INCREASING POTENTIAL THAT TRAVEL DISRUPTIONS WILL OCCUR BEGINNINGWEDNESDAY NIGHT. STAY TUNED FOR LATER FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS FROMTHE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MARQUETTE CONCERNING THIS WINTERSTORM.$$JLA

lol, you've had six days this month with 70º+ temps. There's quite in a few in this sub-forum that would pay for that right now.

Plus, we need the rain. Though I know you're probably pulling for drought. ;)

You have a point about the 70 degree days, but today is a disappointment relative to expectations... it was supposed to be near 60.

lol, you've had six days this month with 70º+ temps. There's quite in a few in this sub-forum that would pay for that right now.

Plus, we need the rain. Though I know you're probably pulling for drought. ;)

Only problem with the rain, means alot of muddy paw prints on the carpet.. :raining:

The most beautiful day of Spring so far. Sunny, low 40's but feels so much warmer.  Snow is melting very rapid.  Rivers are rushing, creeks are flowing, and lakes are beginning to loosen on the edges some.

Spring is in full swing.

Lakeshore still has some roads that were never plowed all Winter and are to deep to get down easily.

goin goin gone....

my yard reached 39" at the peak this Winter and has some left still but a steady stream of water flowing to the lake. front yard only has patches.

It's so nice to finally have a sunny day.  It's such a waste to have so many days of thick clouds when the days are getting longer.  10 degrees warmer would be even nicer but I can't complain too much.

The rainfall last night over-performed, 0.85" IMBY.  It's definitely helping with restoring the water table from the long term dryness but worse than useless for anything else since growing season hasn't even started.  It's not like you can plant many crops when the ground is one giant mud puddle.

Wow...way greener then here...

You swimming in that pond yet?  Put some walleyes in there!

Lol, water is probably around 45°. Ducks have been swimming in there. I'd like to find a fish that would maybe likes the algae that's in there.

Next couple days the water will be running out of there full force. Still really nice here with the sun.

Lol, water is probably around 45°. Ducks have been swimming in there. I'd like to find a fish that would maybe likes the algae that's in there.

Next couple days the water will be running out of there full force. Still really nice here with the sun.

You don't filter it?  I think people will put UV lights on ponds like those?  I really badly want to put a pond it, but no time to dig the hole.  How did you do yours?  If I could """borrow""" a big caterpillar from down the street, i could dig one quick...

More snow for Ashland an NW, WI.

Gonna have to call my Aunt and she how excited she is  :guitar:

WEDNESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING  THEN CLOUDY WITH LIGHT  RAIN LIKELY POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON. LITTLE OR  NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS 37 TO 42. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO  15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 60 PERCENT.    WEDNESDAY NIGHT...LIGHT RAIN  SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN. SNOW  ACCUMULATION UP TO 4 INCHES. ICE ACCUMULATION OF LESS THAN ONE  QUARTER OF AN INCH. LOWS 28 TO 33. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...  EXCEPT NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR.    THURSDAY  LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY POSSIBLY MIXED WITH  FREEZING DRIZZLE IN THE MORNING...THEN LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY  IN THE AFTERNOON. LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. HIGHS 35 TO 40. NORTH  WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO  25 MPH DECREASING TO 10 TO 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.    THURSDAY NIGHT  SNOW. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. MODERATE SNOW  ACCUMULATIONS. LOWS 25 TO 30. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. NEAR LAKE  SUPERIOR...NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH  AFTER MIDNIGHT.    FRIDAY...BREEZY  SNOW. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. HIGHS 28 TO 33.    FRIDAY NIGHT  MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT  SNOW. LOWS 17 TO 22.    

You don't filter it?  I think people will put UV lights on ponds like those?  I really badly want to put a pond it, but no time to dig the hole.  How did you do yours?  If I could """borrow""" a big caterpillar from down the street, i could dig one quick...

I try to keep as much debris out of it as possible. Isn't easy in the autumn especially. Once April is over the algae content goes down. I have an agitator and I'm putting in a waterfall once the weather stabilizes and warms a bit more. That pond is hand dug! Would have been a lot easier to use a caterpillar of some size. I know places will rent small digging equipment to you. Thanks for the UV light idea - hadn't thought of that.

I'm under a flood watch, flood advisory, and flood warning right now! Made it to about 52° today.

Duluth, MN has set a new record, with 68.8" of snow since Feb 1...and there is more to come.  Some of these other stats for Duluth are incredible...especially having snow on the ground continuously since Dec 9...that's 129 days in a row. :)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dlh&storyid=93989&source=0

Historical Snowfall Records For Duluth, MN

Top 3 Snowiest Aprils
1.  31.6" in 1950
2.  24.4" in 1961
3.  23.7" in 1983 
As of April 15th, 2013....23.9" (3rd)

Top 3 Snowiest 
February-March-April Periods

1.  68.5" in 1950
2.  66.4" in 1965
3.  65.5" in 1917 
As of April 15th, 2013....68.8" (1st)

Top 5 Snowiest Years
1.  135.4" in 1995-1996
2.  131.8" in 1949-1950
3.  128.2" in 1996-1997
4.  121.0" in 1968-1969
5.  117.1" in 1988-1989
As of April 15th, 2013....102.5" (14th)

Latest April Climate Report: Duluth, MN / International Falls, MN

(April Records and Normals can be Found Below)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Duluth: 
~  There has been at least 1" of snow on the ground since December 9th, 2012
~  The morning low temperature of 8 degrees on April 14th 2013 tied the old daily low record
    set in 1926 
~  The last time Duluth recorded a temperature of at least 60 degrees was October 16th, 2012
~  The latest occurance of at least 60 F degrees was on May 11th, 1950. 
~  The latest observered Snow Depth of at least 20" was on April 15th, 1950 and 1975 
~  The latest observered Snow Depth of at least 12" was on April 18th, 1975
~  The Normal Snowfall for the Month of April is 6.9 inches.

At International Falls, MN:
~ The last time International Falls recorded a temperature of at least 60 degrees was 
   October 16th, 2012
~ The latest occurance of at least 60 F degrees was on May 10th, 1950. 
~ The Normal Snowfall for the Month of April is 6.4 inches.

I Had not read the thread about the Twin Lakes Snow Cam melting, because I didn't care. But curiosity got the best of me and it's a good read for the entertainment value. BTW, I think Alek accused geos of being the tractor driver:

EDIT: The LAF looks to get hit with yet another round of storms soon. Tim and Ryan will need boats to get to work.

Duluth, MN has set a new record, with 68.8" of snow since Feb 1...and there is more to come.  Some of these other stats for Duluth are incredible...especially having snow on the ground continuously since Dec 9...that's 129 days in a row. :)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dlh&storyid=93989&source=0

Historical Snowfall Records For Duluth, MN

Top 3 Snowiest Aprils

1.  31.6" in 1950

2.  24.4" in 1961

3.  23.7" in 1983 

As of April 15th, 2013....23.9" (3rd)

Top 3 Snowiest 

February-March-April Periods

1.  68.5" in 1950

2.  66.4" in 1965

3.  65.5" in 1917 

As of April 15th, 2013....68.8" (1st)

Top 5 Snowiest Years

1.  135.4" in 1995-1996

2.  131.8" in 1949-1950

3.  128.2" in 1996-1997

4.  121.0" in 1968-1969

5.  117.1" in 1988-1989

As of April 15th, 2013....102.5" (14th)

Latest April Climate Report: Duluth, MN / International Falls, MN

(April Records and Normals can be Found Below)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Duluth: 

~  There has been at least 1" of snow on the ground since December 9th, 2012

~  The morning low temperature of 8 degrees on April 14th 2013 tied the old daily low record

set in 1926 

~  The last time Duluth recorded a temperature of at least 60 degrees was October 16th, 2012

~  The latest occurance of at least 60 F degrees was on May 11th, 1950. 

~  The latest observered Snow Depth of at least 20" was on April 15th, 1950 and 1975 

~  The latest observered Snow Depth of at least 12" was on April 18th, 1975

~  The Normal Snowfall for the Month of April is 6.9 inches.

At International Falls, MN:

~ The last time International Falls recorded a temperature of at least 60 degrees was 

October 16th, 2012

~ The latest occurance of at least 60 F degrees was on May 10th, 1950. 

~ The Normal Snowfall for the Month of April is 6.4 inches.

Incredible stuff from the northern upper Midwest. Grand Forks, ND average high is 56F I believe, and their MAX this April has been 39F! Also Fargo will be setting a latest first 50F day on record in 2013.

While its been gray and chilly here this spring, with vegetation definitely later than normal, I feel kind of gypped here in that the snow season was so "winter-heavy" here. Im seeing tons of places that were apparently well below normal at the close of Feb having turned it into a surplus in Mar/Apr. It was still an above average snow season by several inches, so no complaints there, but of our 47.8" of snow this season, 46.5" of it fell during meteorological winter (Dec 21-Mar 19). Only 0.4" fell in Autumn and 0.9" in Spring. Don't get me wrong I want the best snow to come during the winter, it's just with a delayed spring, a bit more snow would have been nice :) The most interesting thing about spring snow here this year was that remnants of a simple 2" snow on March 16th stuck around for a week.

Incredible stuff from the northern upper Midwest. Grand Forks, ND average high is 56F I believe, and their MAX this April has been 39F! Also Fargo will be setting a latest first 50F day on record in 2013.

While its been gray and chilly here this spring, with vegetation definitely later than normal, I feel kind of gypped here in that the snow season was so "winter-heavy" here. Im seeing tons of places that were apparently well below normal at the close of Feb having turned it into a surplus in Mar/Apr. It was still an above average snow season by several inches, so no complaints there, but of our 47.8" of snow this season, 46.5" of it fell during meteorological winter (Dec 21-Mar 19). Only 0.4" fell in Autumn and 0.9" in Spring. Don't get me wrong I want the best snow to come during the winter, it's just with a delayed spring, a bit more snow would have been nice :) The most interesting thing about spring snow here this year was that remnants of a simple 2" snow on March 16th stuck around for a week.

Yeah, it has been a strange spring for sure...and even though it has been relatively chilly here, the cold anomalies over the upper midwest are rare.  You mentioned Fargo; I made a post in the C/W forum about how they will shatter the record for latest first 50-degree temp by several days at least...and records go back to 1881.  And Grand Forks has not had a day above 40F since December 3 (it was exactly 40F on January 10).  That is crazy...especially with a normal high in the mid-50s now.

In addition to Duluth seeing record snow since Feb. 1, I believe Denver has too.

I Had not read the thread about the Twin Lakes Snow Cam melting, because I didn't care. But curiosity got the best of me and it's a good read for the entertainment value. BTW, I think Alek accused geos of being the tractor driver:

attachicon.gifgeosmeasuringstick.jpg

EDIT: The LAF looks to get hit with yet another round of storms soon. Tim and Ryan will need boats to get to work.

Come on...who the **** would live there!  My God...look at that!   I really need to stop complaining...a person could have it so much worse.

Nice day here...sunshine all afternoon/evening...winds went to nothing later on...sat in the driveway listening to the Brewers beat up the Giants...  kids got to play outside...    Still needed a jacket, but oh well...i'll take it.

Archived