joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 General Discussion Part 2

MidwestChaser

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up another 0.61" of rain tonight, better than I thought.  There was no lightning/thunder with the rain around here.  I'm now at 4.20" for the month with another potential heavy rain event coming this Wednesday.  I hope we can save some good rains for June/July.  Last year we had a solid April, but then the tap just shut off.

SWS just put out by MKX.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI1222 AM CDT MON APR 15 2013WIZ046-047-051-052-056>060-062>072-150645-MARQUETTE-GREEN LAKE-FOND DU LAC-SHEBOYGAN-SAUK-COLUMBIA-DODGE-WASHINGTON-OZAUKEE-IOWA-DANE-JEFFERSON-WAUKESHA-MILWAUKEE-LAFAYETTE-GREEN-ROCK-WALWORTH-RACINE-KENOSHA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTELLO...BERLIN...FOND DU LAC...SHEBOYGAN...BARABOO...PORTAGE...WISCONSIN DELLS...BEAVER DAM...WEST BEND...PORT WASHINGTON...DODGEVILLE...MADISON...JEFFERSON...LAKE MILLS...WAUKESHA...BROOKFIELD...MILWAUKEE...DARLINGTON...MONROE...JANESVILLE...BELOIT...ELKHORN...LAKE GENEVA...RACINE...KENOSHA1222 AM CDT MON APR 15 2013...GUSTY WINDS POSSIBLY WITH THUNDERSTORMS OVERNIGHT...THE LEADING EDGE OF SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVEEAST ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN THROUGH THEOVERNIGHT HOURS. THESE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS MAY PRODUCE WINDGUSTS TO 40 TO 50 MPH AS THEY PASS. SMALL HAIL WILL ALSO BEPOSSIBLE.THE LEADING EDGE OF THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EXTENDED FROMNEAR PORTAGE SOUTH TO MADISON AND MONROE...AND WERE MOVING TO THENORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. THE SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVETHROUGH THE MILWAUKEE METRO AREA...KENOSAH...FOND DU LAC ANDWATERTOWN AREAS BETWEEN 1 AM AND 3 AM CDT.BRIEF HEAVY RAINFALL ONE QUARTER INCH TO ONE HALF INCH IS ALSOPOSSIBLE.$$MBK

Really warming nicely outside. Think I will leave my window open until it starts raining.

Just cracked 60° at 12:35pm.

Already at 4.00" of rain in Milwaukee for the month through yesterday, tacked on an additional 0.11" overnight, with that forecast perhaps 10" for the month is attainable.

As I stated before, the wettest April on record in MKE looks to be in jeopardy.

Anyways pretty nice morning, although cloudy, cant argue with 59 degrees at 9am.

As I stated before, the wettest April on record in MKE looks to be in jeopardy.

Anyways pretty nice morning, although cloudy, cant argue with 59 degrees at 9am.

What is the record?  I was just looking at the last 15 years, and the wettest April in those years was just over 6" in 1999.

7.31" in 1973 and 1877 had 7", I think there was another year that had over 7" in April but I'm not sure.

If 7.31" is the record, the GFS and NAM both indicate we near or break that record this week.  Amazing to think that 6-8" of rain is on the table in the course of 12 days or so when the monthly record is in that same range.

I already had 4.49" of rain for the month, and now we're seeing maps like this for Wed-Thu??  Wow.

If this works out that's not good, as the maximum corridor of rain is falling directly over the entire length of the Rock River basin.  Could be a very bad flood around here on the Rock.

Wow, 4.5" here! Last night it was between 3-4". 

Really nice waking up to 50s this morning. Made it to 63.8° around 2am.

I already had 4.49" of rain for the month, and now we're seeing maps like this for Wed-Thu??  Wow.

NAM_221_2013041512_F84_PCPIN_72_HR.png

If this works out that's not good, as the maximum corridor of rain is falling directly over the entire length of the Rock River basin.  Could be a very bad flood around here on the Rock.

Its like the rains keep hitting the same areas... 

Is there any planting being done by you?  Its going to be middle of May up here...sweet corn should be ripe by Oct.

Upper 40Fs here...but it feels like a heat wave compared to this weekend! lol! At least the sun is out.

One thing i can see happening is any thoughts of a hot summer might be going down the drain with all this moist soil around. I have over 4 inches of rain this month.

Maybe but it can change fast. Look at precip last spring vs last summer. If the pattern stays wet into May/June then I think that could be more telling.

Maybe but it can change fast. Look at precip last spring vs last summer. If the pattern stays wet into May/June then I think that could be more telling.

We could still see a heat ridge, but I doubt that we could see a drought in the Great Lakes and Upper Midwest worse than last summer's this year, given all the rain that will be falling in April.  Last April and May had near or slightly below average rainfall, but well above average rainfall would give many of us a bit of a buffer against a severe drought anyway.

NAM_221_2013041512_F84_PCPIN_72_HR.png

That is seriously f***ed up.  There's already minor flooding going on here.

Its like the rains keep hitting the same areas... 

Is there any planting being done by you?  Its going to be middle of May up here...sweet corn should be ripe by Oct.

Nope it's been too cold except for a few days.  Fields are pretty wet too, with many still having some standing water.  Looks like they'll have to wait until the very end of the month at the earliest with all this rain on the way.

Archived