amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will do a number on your remaining snowpack.

I'm hoping so!

He'd probably need a monsoon to put a hurting to that glacier he has in his yard.

You're probably right.  Ellsworth in general has 8-12" left. My front yard away from the house is about 8", near the house 10-12" and in the backyard where trees and the hill keep the sun from reaching, I'd say 12"...maybe 14 in a few spots still.

hillsides and some fields are opening up.  yesterday, in a 10 mile stretch of road to Charlevoix, I saw well over 50 deer.  Hungry from Winter's lack of food!

Another week and snow will be gone.... only icky plow piles left.

Decent surge of precip about to reach Madison, it's on the nose of a low level jet associated with a push of warm air. Maybe we'll get some decent wind gusts since the jet is going at 50-60 kt, as long as evaporative downdrafts from the rain don't increase low level stability too much, though with dewpoint depressions of 10-15 F that is to be expected. Below is the 850 hPa map.

post-645-0-81929900-1365253564_thumb.png

A full week of washing in two days here .... Picked up another large dealership this week which will put me over the 3000 cars per week come summer. As for the weather the last few days nothing but sun, light wind and a slight sun burn on my face. Very anxious to get some rain. Planted some grass seed last week and the birds in the neighbourhood look full :)

Farmers are starting in the fields spraying the winter wheat crop with nitrate and a few preping the ground. Winter is certainly holding its ground this spring and that goodness for the nice radiant heat prom the sun. Full clouds and 38 this AM, yuck

Hopefully the advertised pattern change takes place and spring can be the dominate weather feature. 

Up to 51° at noon here. Warm front passing through right now. Had a couple showers around 10am.

Still have one last remaining snow pile in the yard. Couple other isolated snow patches in the neighborhood still.

GRR talking about freezing rain potential north of I-96 on Wednesday.  That while the I-80 corridor basks in 70 degree temperatures.  Now the 12z GFS is getting close suicide watch territory in the long range.  Keeps pushing the warmup back and back again.  Just like winter kept getting pushed back in December and January, now spring is the same deal. 

Here are some impressive 2012-13 snow cover stats from NWS MKE.  

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=93691&source=0

For the first time in recorded history, Madison had snow cover on all 31 days in March.  And, Madison set a new record # of snow cover days in Jan-Mar (88).  It always amazes me (this year in particular) how much of a "winter gradient" exists between Chicago and Madison.  As the crow flies, the two cities aren't really very far apart.

GRR talking about freezing rain potential north of I-96 on Wednesday.  That while the I-80 corridor basks in 70 degree temperatures.  Now the 12z GFS is getting close suicide watch territory in the long range.  Keeps pushing the warmup back and back again.  Just like winter kept getting pushed back in December and January, now spring is the same deal. 

Move south. Warm here.  :tomato: 

Here are some impressive 2012-13 snow cover stats from NWS MKE.  

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=93691&source=0

For the first time in recorded history, Madison had snow cover on all 31 days in March.  And, Madison set a new record # of snow cover days in Jan-Mar (88).  It always amazes me (this year in particular) how much of a "winter gradient" exists between Chicago and Madison.  As the crow flies, the two cities aren't really very far apart.

Yeah it is amazing. Even between here and ORD, which is about 30 miles, there is about a 24" difference! About a 40" difference in 2007-08.

South winds have locked in. Temperature shot up to 65°!  B)

If it was sunny, it would probably be mid 70s.

Archived