northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: maybe not. I got duped by wunderground's estimated temp at 11:00. LAF down for the count right now.

LAF leading the charge at 11:00am. Even beating my temp by two degrees. Nice to see the warm bias back in effect...Chad and Hoosier rejoice.  :maphot:

Winds blowing out at Wrigley today for the home opener. Brewers 14, Cubs 3.  

Well this is gonna be fun to watch tomorrow afternoon.  75 here and 47 at Freeport at 22z.  Geos is gonna be in the freezer too.

geez.jpg

Reminds me of the WF that laid across the area back in April of 2003, 70s in Monroe and Lenawee counties while North of I-96/I-696 an ice storm was occurring.

Winds are roaring here. Picked up 0.55" of rain this morning. - heard some thunder as well. 

Hoping for an extra 50 miles of warm front tomorrow!

Awesome satellite shot at about 11:45am.

Reminds me of the WF that laid across the area back in April of 2003, 70s in Monroe and Lenawee counties while North of I-96/I-696 an ice storm was occurring.

That was an awesome gradient. I think the area in Ohio around CLE was in the 80s while we it was in the 20s here. Difference is that the 10 days deeper into April this time would probably make a similar gradient even more anomalous.

SWS on the high winds going on now and later...

1219 PM CDT MON APR 8 2013 /119 PM EDT MON APR 8 2013/...STRONG WINDS THIS AFTERNOON...STRONG LOW PRESSURE PROGRESSING THROUGH NORTHEAST ILLINOISCOINCIDING WITH CLEARING HAS ALLOWED FOR STRONG SOUTHERLY WINDS TODEVELOP ACROSS NORTHEAST ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA. WINDGUSTS OVER THE PAST HOUR HAVE RAPIDLY INCREASED TO AROUND 50MPH...WITH SEVERAL SITES SHOWING THESE INCREASED SPEEDS. WINDSPEEDS AND GUSTS ARE AT THEIR PEAK AND EXPECT THEM TO SLOWLYDIMINISH INTO THE AFTERNOON...BUT WITH GUSTS OF AROUND 40 TO 45MPH STILL POSSIBLE.WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGHPROFILE VEHICLES. MAKE SURE LOOSE ITEMS LEFT OUTDOORS ARE SECURED.$$RODRIGUEZ

At about 48° with strong winds still. Has gusted up to 40mph. Cloud deck is beginning to break.

Stronger yet at some other places...

1132 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST WESTMONT                41.80N 87.97W04/08/2013  M48 MPH          DUPAGE             IL   EMERGENCY MNGR

1016 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST SCHAUMBURG              42.03N 88.08W04/08/2013  E45 MPH          COOK               IL   TRAINED SPOTTER            MINOR BRANCH DAMAGE.

Wow QPF upped again for Ontario. Conservation authorities issuing some flood watches now.

ben5gXY.gif

From GRCA:

April 08, 2013

Flood Watch Message #1: Heavy rains, warmer temperatures will cause water levels to rise

The heavy rains and warm temperatures predicted for this week are expected to raise water levels in streams and rivers throughout the watershed. A total of 75-100 mm of precipitation is expected to fall over much of the watershed during the next four days. The first of a series of rainfall events is expected Monday evening with forecast amounts of 10 to 15 mm of rainfall. The rainfall, along with the melt of any remaining snow in the upper watershed will cause river levels to rise.

Upstream reservoirs levels are currently being lowered to provide additional storage to reduce downstream flooding. The GRCA’s flood forecasting model is prepared to provide expected water level details as the rain and snow melt occurs.

River levels will rise over the next few days as water runs off. Flooding is anticipated in low lying areas along the Grand, Conestogo, Nith and Speed Rivers later this week. Water levels are expected to remain high throughout the week and into the weekend, particularly in the southern river. The low level bridge in St. Jacob’s has already been closed due to high flows in the Conestogo River and will remain closed until further notice.

Updated flood messages will be issued as this event unfolds. Regional police and municipal staff are encouraged to review their flood procedures in anticipation of this event.

Banks adjacent to rivers and creeks are slippery and when combined with cold, fast-moving water pose a serious hazard. Ice on ponds will be thin. Parents are encouraged to keep their children and pets away from water courses and off any remaining frozen water bodies.

Bad news for those in Michigan and Wisconsin.

attachicon.gifApril Ice Storm.gif

Definitely a repeat of the April 2003 ice storm.  This one however could be worse.

Yeah, not the greatest, just looked at one of the local models, and it showed heavy freezing rain in its later stages (early Wednesday) just north of the metro anyway.  Would not have predicted an April ice storm threat this winter.

Bad news for those in Michigan and Wisconsin.

attachicon.gifApril Ice Storm.gif

Definitely a repeat of the April 2003 ice storm.  This one however could be worse.

ON DAY 3...THE THREAT FOR FREEZING RAIN MAY EVEN BE GREATER ASCOLD AIR CONTINUES TO FUNNEL SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE UPPER LAKES INTOTHE NORTHEAST.  A RELATIVELY NARROW BAND OF FREEZING RAIN/SLEETMAY PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF FREEZING RAIN FROM SOUTHCENTRAL WISCONSIN ACROSS LOWER MICHIGAN AND INTO WESTERN NEW YORK.WITH THE CURRENT SCENARIO...A SIGNIFICANT ICING EVENT IS POSSIBLEESPECIALLY IN SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN INTO LOWER MICHIGAN.

Yeah, not the greatest, just looked at one of the local models, and it showed heavy freezing rain in its later stages (early Wednesday) just north of the metro anyway.  Would not have predicted an April ice storm threat this winter.

The freezing rain should be avoided downwind of the lake. - area depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Archived