• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 5

Harry

Long range continues to hint at real summer weather setting in with prolonged western troughing and central/southeast US ridging. If this general look verifies then there should be numerous chances for convection with northern/central areas of the subforum being favored.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HM has posted some interesting thoughts on the overall pattern in the C/W long range thread. He is bullish on potential.

I have been watching this potential for several days I am in complete agreement with him, rarely do you have a 160kt phased jet max crossing the Pacific and it not yield, this time is no exception either. It forces several lee side cyclones starting as soon as 5-6 days from now, and then it is basically non-stop for over a week. I am very certain there will be several severe weather episodes for the Plains into the Great Lakes and MS/OH valleys.

This upcoming pattern has had very strong consistency in the models both run to run and across all models suites. It has already been shown for over 5 days now with no real changes except in the minor details, the pattern itself has been consistent.

Here are some choice graphics from the 12z Euro/12z Canadian/18z GFS broken into 3 posts.

First the 12z Euro

Here is 200mb at Day 6 and Day 7

ecmwfUS_200_spd_144.gif

ecmwfUS_200_spd_168.gif

500mb You can see piece number 1 coming in at Day 6 with a strong jet right behind it, noted in the compaction of the height lines

12zeuro500mbHeightAnomalyNA144.gif

12zeuro500mbHeightAnomalyNA168.gif

Skipping ahead a couple days to day 9 you can see the pattern remains loaded all the way across the Pacific and the Pacific Jet is still screaming across to the USA.

12zeuro500mbHeightAnomalyNA216.gif

Now the 12z Canadian

250mb Day 5

UV_GZ_120_0250.gif

Day 7

UV_GZ_168_0250.gif

Day 9

UV_GZ_216_0250.gif

Here you really get the idea of the wave train that goes all the way back to Asia by Day 9, we are talking about a hyperactive pattern that we haven't seen at this time of year in quite some time.

500mb Day 5 with system 1

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_120_0500.gif

Day 7 System 1 lifts into the Dakotas and System 2 drops into New Mexico, with system 3 and 4 over the Pacific NW

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_168_0500.gif

Day 9 System 1 lifts into Canada, System 2 pulls out into the Midwest, System 3 is right on its heels in the Northern Rockies with System 4 poised to come ashore at Day 10

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_216_0500.gif

Lastly the 18z GFS

4 1/2 Days out from now you can see the strong jet max over the Ocean already starting to dive toward the Southern part of the West Coast.

gfs_npac_108_250_wnd_ht.gif

By Day 6 it has come ashore and is yielding a full latitude trough that is already taking a slight negative tilt

gfs_namer_144_250_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_144_500_vort_ht.gif

Day 7 the energy is poised to drop into the backside of the trough

gfs_namer_168_250_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_168_500_vort_ht.gif

By Day 8 the system is lifting into the Dakotas and the Midwest with another piece is dropping in

gfs_namer_192_250_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_192_500_vort_ht.gif

Some of the minor details such as timing would represent the only differences in the models, however looking as the sheer number of troughs forecast to come ashore, needless to say it looks like an active period starting 5 days from now.

Good analysis here, yeah I'm beginning to think we have the potential for a substantially active pattern here into June. Like mentioned, you don't see such a strong and longitudinally extensive jet streak this time of year very often at all.

Lastly the 18z GFS

4 1/2 Days out from now you can see the strong jet max over the Ocean already starting to dive toward the Southern part of the West Coast.

gfs_npac_108_250_wnd_ht.gif

By Day 6 it has come ashore and is yielding a full latitude trough that is already taking a slight negative tilt

gfs_namer_144_250_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_144_500_vort_ht.gif

Day 7 the energy is poised to drop into the backside of the trough

gfs_namer_168_250_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_168_500_vort_ht.gif

By Day 8 the system is lifting into the Dakotas and the Midwest with another piece is dropping in

gfs_namer_192_250_wnd_ht.gif

gfs_namer_192_500_vort_ht.gif

Some of the minor details such as timing would represent the only differences in the models, however looking as the sheer number of troughs forecast to come ashore, needless to say it looks like an active period starting 5 days from now.

Great post and you do believe this threat will extend eastward into the OV and GL?

Great post and you do believe this threat will extend eastward into the OV and GL?

. I am very certain there will be several severe weather episodes for the Plains into the Great Lakes and MS/OH valleys.

He's back ladies and gentleman 

I am still very interested in this pattern over the next 4-10 days, what I mentioned above hasn't wavered at all. I do think the focus would be a bit further North this time around however. I do also think this will eventually extend into the GLOV as well. Some really significant jet dynamics are going to take place over the Plains starting around 84 to 96 hours out with a corresponding strong leeside cyclone forming in the KS/NE areas eventually ejecting toward the MN arrowhead after a few days. I wouldn't be shocked to see some 4-8 day risk areas starting to pop up very soon especially for the Plains, maybe as soon as tonight.

The 2 periods right now that I am watching are Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday maybe into Saturday if the Euro is correct.

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure that would be a bearable type of warm.

First week or two of September is capable of big torches (we had a string of upper 90s in early Sep 2011) but it gets more difficult after that. But I was surprised to find that the average high for LAF on September 1 is 83. That is only 2 degrees below the summer peak of 85. Averages drop off pretty quickly after that.

Hoosier, I won't bother to re post your temp map from the CFS, but I will add the Precp. map.  Looks to me like the CFS is predicting a rather active late August through Sept period for the gulf States, with possible tropical storms impacting the area.  With the current pattern being so amplified, I think something big will have to happen in order to change it, and I don't think it is going to come from the northern latitudes, its most likely to come from the southern latitudes.

In other words a good tropical system could lift the ridge that seems to be stuck to our south up this way.

CFSv2.NaPrec.20130801.201309.gif

First week or two of September is capable of big torches (we had a string of upper 90s in early Sep 2011) but it gets more difficult after that. But I was surprised to find that the average high for LAF on September 1 is 83. That is only 2 degrees below the summer peak of 85. Averages drop off pretty quickly after that.

Last two years we've seen it. Reffed some games and so many kids were pulling up with cramps from the heat, I believe it was in the Upper 90s the last few seasons for highs on those days

Pretty sure that would be a bearable type of warm.

Our average high starts dropping around July 25th from the summer peak of 82. The first sign of that is the average low ticks down 1 degree. It is a slow drop until around Sept 15th, I think the biggest drop is the entire month of October.

Archived