joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late March snow blitz! March 24-25th

cyclone77

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to be greedy.  Northern Indiana can have this one.  Unfortunately the Euro is more constipated and doesn't get the Atlantic maritime low far enough out of the way in time for a big hit.  Chances are the Euro is right.  But by the looks of the models we're not out of the woods till we get way into April.  As soon as we get a strong system that pumps a lot of Gulf juice northward someone's going to get a spring ice storm.  It's happened before.

He probably won't show it but Caplan said their microcast gives northern IL 10-16" lol 

He should show it, simply for the shock value.....  I know a few people, who at this point, would lose their minds if they even thought about the possibility of such a large snow, this late in March..... 

It would be entertaining.....

DTX says it best at this stage of the game:

A HIGHER DEGREE OF FORECAST UNCERTAINTY EXISTS INTO THE SUNDAY-MONDAY PERIOD FOCUSED ON A STRONGER WAVE THAT REMAINS PROGGED TOPIVOT THROUGH THE SOUTHERN TROUGH BASE AND THROUGH THE CENTRALCONUS. 12Z MODEL GUIDANCE MAINTAINING A VARYING OPINION ON THEEVENTUAL DOWNSTREAM EVOLUTION AND TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM...LEAVING ACORRESPONDINGLY SIZABLE LATITUDINAL DIFFERENCE IN POSITIONING THEASSOCIATED MID LEVEL FORCING AND PRECIPITATION SWATH. 12Z ECMWFHOLDING FIRM WITH A SLIGHTLY WEAKER SOUTHERLY SOLUTION THATEFFECTIVELY KEEPS SE MICHIGAN DRY...WHILE THE GFS AND CANADIANCONTINUE TO CARRY A DEEPER WAVE THROUGH THE NORTHERN OHIO VALLEYAND BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR AN ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL EVENT TO WORKNORTHWARD INTO THE AREA. WITH THE WAVE IN QUESTION STILL DAYS AWAYFROM PROPER SAMPLING...NO COMPELLING REASON YET TO LEAN HEAVILY INONE DIRECTION AND WILL CONTINUE TO FAVOR JUST A TAPERED SOUTH TONORTH CHANCE POP MENTION.

May as well post this:

attachicon.gifECM ENS 120.gif

European ensemble a bit southeast of the 12z GFS/GGEM but NW/stronger than the Euro...which is a good first guess at this point.

This makes sense too as the op Euro is by far the strongest with respect to the blocking, and usually with this type of blocking it ends up being too strong due to a known bias. This would help lead credence to a solution that is at the very least North of the op Euro's solution

Am I seeing things or is that from Dec 17th?

For about 30 seconds yes. I uploaded the wrong image initially.

This makes sense too as the op Euro is by far the strongest with respect to the blocking, and usually with this type of blocking it ends up being too strong due to a known bias. This would help lead credence to a solution that is at the very least North of the op Euro's solution

I think I can agree with that. For those on the northern fringe, certainly a good sign that the Euro ensembles appear to be north of the op.

Everyone in every region seems to whine about their NWS when the forecast isn't to their liking, even if the NWS's reasoning behind the forecast is sound.

Yeah those guys in the central/western region forum constantly b**ch

Honestly at this junction why even show that. What positivity could possibly come out of showing that right now?

Viewers and for us, laughs! --- actually laughs for everybody really.

Just goes to show everyone, that this March is nothing like last Morch. - Even though this is just on one model at this time, it would be impressive if half of that fell.

Seriously? Why, because they aren't on board with a iffy storm, at the end of winter, with no clear track, and don't put it through your back yard? IND is just as h good as any other office in the region. I've been to their office a few times for ema/skywarn related things and only meet professionals who were proud of their work. Get that crap out of here.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Your right. I apologize. I did overstep by saying what I said. IND does do a good job but there are others around them that perform a bit better IMO...

Viewers?

He may show it but the spoken word needs to be taken into account, did he qualify it by saying this is only one idea, or was that his forecast?  I agree that it's more responsible to warn the public about what's possible this far out, than downplaying it, it alerts people with travel plans to pay attention.

He may show it but the spoken word needs to be taken into account, did he qualify it by saying this is only one idea, or was that his forecast?  I agree that it's more responsible to warn the public about what's possible this far out, than downplaying it, it alerts people with travel plans to pay attention.

He was downplaying it and warned the public don't count on anything that. He said accumulating snow likely on Sunday though.

18z GFS shifted even more south, pretty much missing our area now.  Looks great for STL to LAF though.  Could be the redemption storm for LAF after GHD.. 

Euro remains a whiff to the south, so I'm definitely not counting on much at this point. Of course, at this range with the last storm (Sun-Mon), it was laying down 6"+ for LAF...and that obviously didn't work out too well.  

Euro remains a whiff to the south, so I'm definitely not counting on much at this point. Of course, at this range with the last storm (Sun-Mon), it was laying down 6"+ for LAF...and that obviously didn't work out too well.  

Dude!  We're getting hammered.  It. Is. A. Lock.   :ee:

Archived