joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late March snow blitz! March 24-25th

cyclone77

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a long post two nights ago regarding a few issues with this system...that may either keep it from moving too far north or from developing into a strong storm at all. It was at an odd hour and got buried at the bottom of a page so most may not have seen, however wave spacing is still an issue...if the polar branch is a convoluted mess it may be hard to get a far north solution due to the waves destructively interfering with eachother and keeping everything strung out and south. If our wave has room to take off this weekend then a track that supports snow up to Chicago and into lower MI and possibly far southern ON is still possible. Long story short, I would not jump on any solution until our energy is sampled for it looks like the 12z Friday runs.

post-525-0-59490200-1363838978_thumb.gif

Not gonna lie though, kind of happy the GFS joins the Euro in dropping several inches of wet snow on me in Athens.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. It's still a little early to write it off completely, due to needing to get a better sample to determine wave spacing, remaining blocking, etc., but the propensity of the evidence is against those of us north of I-70.

By the way, you Alek haters might want to hold off in the future.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. It's still a little early to write it off completely, due to needing to get a better sample to determine wave spacing, remaining blocking, etc., but the propensity of the evidence is against those of us north of I-70.

By the way, you Alek haters might want to hold off in the future.

Agreed. Please direct such hatred towards AngrySummons.

It must come north to develope. Can't, no storm. Energy will be sheered out.

latitude has nothing to do with it.  It can dig all it wants, grab as much gulf moisture as it wants, but when it tries to turn the corner and hits the block....east it goes and yes it will shear out but not until it's done it's damage from st.louis up the ohio river, (has a ton of moisture potential).  I bet we see qpf start beefing up on model runs even though the low pressure itself won't be that strong.  Probably a much better storm in the lower miss and ohio valleys than anything it will do along the eastcoast. 

lol to congratulating or admonishing posters 3 days out from the storm.

true until it happens, no one should be kudo'ed.   But Alek's call from a couple days back looks pretty damn good right now.     When you have all the models begin to go in the direction of the euro inside of 96 hours....that's a pretty solid indication. I wouldn't bet against it.

but we'll see...stranger things have happened in the model world and furture runs could start showing the low cutting to Ohio again....or N.Carolina.

DVN still clinging to hope things trend north. 

ALL OF THESE WAVE ENERGY POCKETS TOEVENTUALLY TRY AND PHASE IN A COMPLEX EVOLUTION ACRS THE ROCKIES ANDGRT BSN FRI INTO SAT...AND THEN TRANSLATE EASTWARD ACRS THE MID CONUSTHE SECOND HALF OF THE WEEKEND AND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. FEEL THEMODELS STILL TRYING TO CATCH UP AND GRAB A HANDLE OF WHAT MAY HAPPEN.THUS SOME POSSIBILITY OF A TREND BACK NORTH...ESPECIALLY TAKING INTOACCOUNT A POSSIBLE FUJI-WARA AFFECT WITH EVENTUAL NORTHERN ROCKIESCLOSED UPPER LOW ACTING ON THE INCREASINGLY DOMINANT SOUTHERNSTREAM.

To me it seems like models are playing catchup towards the Euro.  A move back northward seems highly doubtful to me.

true until it happens, no one should be kudo'ed.   But Alek's call from a couple days back looks pretty damn good right now.     When you have all the models begin to go in the direction of the euro inside of 96 hours....that's a pretty solid indication. I wouldn't bet against it.

but we'll see...stranger things have happened in the model world and furture runs could start showing the low cutting to Ohio again....or N.Carolina.

Anyone can rip and read the Euro. Of course it's always the model of choice until proven otherwise. But, there have been a few people saying suppression or a south track is the more likely outcome. OHweather has laid out some nice/reasoned thoughts that seem to get ignored. I've haven't felt very good about the prospects for LAF despite the GFS and GGEM having been on the hit train. That being said, we're still 3-4 days out...

Anyone can rip and read the Euro. Of course it's always the model of choice until proven otherwise. But, there have been a few people saying suppression or a south track is the more likely outcome. OHweather has laid out some nice/reasoned thoughts that seem to get ignored. I've haven't felt very good about the prospects for LAF despite the GFS and GGEM having been on the hit train. That being said, we're still 3-4 days out...

anything is possilbe and anyone from chicago to lexington is in the game.   For me personally, I'm moving all my chips on the space that says "southern route".  

...granted I might need money for a cab home

Don't want to start getting too excited down here until perhaps tomorrow's 12z runs...but I certainly thought when I left Cleveland on March 10 to come back down here that I was done with any appreciable snow. Just got a surprise half inch snow shower and for better or worse the models show a nice swath of snow just north of the Ohio River three days out. hmm

Quite the move of the ensembles as well, some don't have much more than a line of showers to the south and snowshowers to the north lol.........

i just checked out the 6z ensemble panels....all but 2 or 3 look pretty juicy.   None indicate 'showers' only.

Don't want to start getting too excited down here until perhaps tomorrow's 12z runs...but I certainly thought when I left Cleveland on March 10 to come back down here that I was done with any appreciable snow. Just got a surprise half inch snow shower and for better or worse the models show a nice swath of snow just north of the Ohio River three days out. hmm

I think you should transfer to ohio state next year.

I want to clear up something.

I-70 can mean Kansas City, St. Louis, Indy all the way into Ohio,.

I highly doubt this storm is to far North for St. Louis.  If it is, it won't be by much and it will still hit a good portion of St. Louis.

But St. Louis has historically been tied to Chicago storms, Laf storms, Indy Storms, Detroit Storms, in some cases Louisville storms.

The STL, Indy/Laf, Detroit express is typically STLs rodeo.

This storm could still miss STL and hit LAF, Det.

or hit STL and go to those places or Indy or Southern Ohio.

One thing is for sure, there is very cold air and blocking in place.

a lot of late March cliches need to be tossed.  Ground temps are very cold, the airmass before, during, and after is progged to be well below normal with reinforcing CAA.

The snow pack over North America is deep creating a 80% or so albedo feedback everyday pretty much anywhere over it because it's so deep.

With reinforcing cold air the cold air in place is amazing for this time of year.

The temperature gradient to help fuel cyclogensis is great.

The NAM is normally way over warm and amplified.  Look at the mid level cold air field being pulled down fort this around the Eastern Vortex, the storm it self and the Rockies.

I agree with buckeye.  I am not sure where but this is going to be a long wide late season thump day or night.

e9332de2-a74e-4be4-b8dd-a25c4828f6aa_zps

Archived