joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The short term models have more for the trough than the Euro and GFS.

Ant , follow the Euro save yourself the pain . It is high res enough that it would catch a trough a day out

The problem is inverted troughs are really hard to pin down , 2 x this yr once on the NJ shore and once between Boston and Bangor , busted the same day .

Follow the Euro with this , just trust me .

euro is meh overall. If its right no more than 3 inches at best for nyc for both events. The inverted trough is like 0.25 at best

Not what I wanted to see-looks like it backed off from last night. If it comes down over a long duration many near the city may not accumulate much of anything. GGEM and GFS didn't look that great with it either-it's really the meso models that really blow it up. I never rely on inverted troughs for just that very reason-this could easily trend into a pittance for us and instead consolidate more over New England with the best forcing from the low. Again, confidence level is very low for any real snow here.

There is alot of Time where I ride with Euro especially a few days out but at this point if your gonna follow any models better to go with all the short Range HI Res Models. In all truth I am more curious of what Nam says coming up soon.

Not what I wanted to see-looks like it backed off from last night. If it comes down over a long duration many near the city may not accumulate much of anything. GGEM and GFS didn't look that great with it either-it's really the meso models that really blow it up. I never rely on inverted troughs for just that very reason-this could easily trend into a pittance for us and instead consolidate more over New England with the best forcing from the low. Again, confidence level is very low for any real snow here.

Confidence is low in this situation. It can go either way.

It's funny how in the cases the Euro came north this season from earlier runs, it never resulted in a big snow event here.

Just like in previous cases the GFS and NAM lead early with heavier amounts and then eventually backed off. 

I am not really sure why the models behave like this?

It funny how in the cases the Euro came north this season from earlier runs, it never resulted in a big snow event here.

Just like in previous cases the GFS and NAM lead with heavier amounts and then eventually backed off.

I agree, the Euro for the last several days NEVER showed our area getting hit hard with the CCB like the NAM and GFS did. It's hard to ignore the fact that when the Euro isn't gung ho about a certain solution, 9 times out of 10 it's probably right. It's ensembles also confirmed this.

It funny how in the cases the Euro came north this season from earlier runs, it never resulted in a big snow event here.

Just like in previous cases the GFS and NAM lead with heavier amounts and then eventually backed off. 

The event tonight looks iffy at best with weaker dynamics due to the main CCB being just offshore. The event late tomorrow could just act to re-fire and sustain the snow over New England and never really dive south to here-the NAM could easily be overdone in sort of digging it into its own system as other models are flatter with it and eventually just phase it into the main ULL. Not sure if RGEM/NAM are the winning combination here when the Euro did the same thing in instead basically using this second wave to fire snow in upstate NY and over New England. I'm not as optimistic as I was earlier about much snow to be honest. CT could be better with the second wave.

I agree, the Euro for the last several days NEVER showed our area getting hit hard with the CCB like the NAM and GFS did. It's hard to ignore the fact that when the Euro isn't gung ho about a certain solution, 9 times out of 10 it's probably right. It's ensembles also confirmed this.

The Euro was also wrong a few days ago about New England getting slammed. It wasn't great on this storm either. It seems like no model can really take a win.

It's definitely SNE's winter, that's for sure. Euro annihilates Boston for a good 24 hrs.

The event tonight looks iffy at best with weaker dynamics due to the main CCB being just offshore. The event late tomorrow could just act to re-fire and sustain the snow over New England and never really dive south to here-the NAM could easily be overdone in sort of digging it into its own system as other models are flatter with it and eventually just phase it into the main ULL. Not sure if RGEM/NAM are the winning combination here when the Euro did the same thing in instead basically using this second wave to fire snow in upstate NY and over New England. I'm not as optimistic as I was earlier about much snow to be honest. CT could be better with the second wave.

Agree , the Jump was always a possiblity . the confluence is enough that its erroded the precips Northward movement , the best Dynamics tonite with the SLP should slip by to our South and East overnite and then you open the firehouse into New England as it turns NE ... So you may see the 20 inch amounts in the MTNS OF VA and then a foot of Snow west of Boston , and very little here in the end .

I dont buy the NAM period .

There is little doubt looking at reports/radar/obs that the low pressure is more N and W and stronger then progged (maybe even more than the NAM). Which is good for QPF, but it is really challenging temps to the north of the low. Richmond has 6-8" to the south west of the low, while it is rain to the north. Well see how this translates as it heads NE.....

Agree , the Jump was always a possiblity . the confluence is enough that its erroded the precips Norhtward movement , the best Dynamics tonite with the SLP should slip by to our South and East overnite and then you open the firehouse into New England as it turns NE ... So you may see the 20 inch amounts in the MTNS OF VA and then a foot of Snow west of Boston , and very little here in the end .

I dont buy the NAM period .

AEvery model except the Goofus and Euro are more wetter for the trough.

Archived