joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry Cosgrove is calling for a huge snowstorm for the area.

Bust

this is steven D or STD as I call him.  STD has been calling for no storm for days which is his opinion and I respect that.   What I do not respect is when he lies!

Good Morning everyone!

Much colder conditions are in place today and even colder weather is on the way for tomorrow! Meteorologist Erin Budden will have the updates this morning. Meteorologist Steven DiMartino will have the Daily Video Discussion and Premium Discussion out this afternoon after the 12Z models to handle the potential storm. Note, all the 00Z models have shifted significantly to the east. Updates on the way!!

Good Call by Steve

add this from JB

No confluence in front of storm should mean correction west. Models wont be locked in till all the players in the middle of field Mon-Tue

I don't normally pay attention to JB but...

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi 53s 108 hour ecmwf ensembles have strong neg tilt trough west of 85 west! Surface jump out to sea weird given wavelength, SST!

Horrific, and I mean horrific month for JB.    First he called for the cold pattern to flip around 3/5 and then missed every since storm this month...that's tough to do.   He did have a great winter with the pattern, but this will leave a bad taste in his mouth

JB ,

written at 314 ( I`m not kidding )

I like 3 in DC 4 WI 6 PHL 9 NYC ( give me plus/minus 25% on this, okay) but Bridgeport to Boston.. look out

For now thats my story and I am sticking to it. though plainly modeling has shifted east a bit on me. My theory is there is so much cold air now the model actually sees coming into the area where the storm develops in 2 days, that its jumping on that. but once the high is offshore and the energy gets into this, then its a different story. But we shall see.

He`s gona need that devine intervention .

JB ,

I like 3 in DC 4 WI 6 PHL 9 NYC ( give me plus/minus 25% on this, okay) but Bridgeport to Boston.. look out

For now thats my story and I am sticking to it. though plainly modeling has shifted east a bit on me. My theory is there is so much cold air now the model actually sees coming into the area where the storm develops in 2 days, that its jumping on that. but once the high is offshore and the energy gets into this, then its a different story. But we shall see.

He's officially gone off the deep end

JB ,

he always holds to to the end,but this one is done.  No way Boston even sees 3

he always holds to to the end,but this one is done.  No way Boston even sees 3

Seen him do that before. March 2007 when every met in the world said NYC wouldn't see much due to a nose of warm air, he was still saying no NYC will get a big snow. We got sleet due to a nose of warm air....5 inches of sleet. I think Yanksfan or Allsnow do a much better job and they don't get paid for it. A number of people here are better than JB; Earthlight to name one.

Just a quick question, can you be called a meteorologist at  TV or radio station if you have the AMS seal of approval? Or is it easier than that or harder? The only actual CBM's I know of are Rich Hoffman and Vanessa Murdock. 

IMO, they shouldn't be called meteorologists without a degree. Weather forecaster is a fair term.

Having said that, the bigger problem this winter seems to have been the use of social media to disseminate some excessive to extreme snowfall amounts far before the science even permits estimates of accumulations with reasonable confidence. The great "Facebook blizzard" of February that never unfolded is one example. A possible example in waiting is the forecast that was posted in one of the subforums here showing 8"-12" for NYC and 12"-24" for Long Island for the upcoming storm. The forecast was posted on March 21.

Already, one has seen Craig Allen, Glenn Schwartz, and the National Weather Service try to push back against this possible emergent trend. They understand that if such forecasts get pushed out before the public, the public's perceptions of weather forecasting will worsen even as the professionals are far better than what the new perceptions might imply. Unfortunately, without the development of a transparent verification mechanism that could flag sources of consistently bad forecasts, Allen et al will likely continue to have their hands full, both forecasting the weather, which can already be quite challenging at times, and trying to assure that their forecasts aren't lost in the Social Media noise where extreme forecasts grab the most attention.

JB ,

It's more likely we only see 9 flakes here. I remember the 2002-03 winter when he was great, but most winters after he's been completely out of it.

It's more likely we only see 9 flakes here. I remember the 2002-03 winter when he was great, but most winters after he's been completely out of it.

JB is generally good in cold winters.   He's bad in warm ones (which he never seems to see coming) such as 01-02, 05-06 and 11-12

Steve D regarding the Spring and Summer.

One aspect that I think will be interesting to watch this year is the potential for severe thunderstorms this Spring and Summer. I don’t think this is going to be a year of major and numerous severe thunderstorm outbreaks. We’ll see some across the country, naturally, but I don’t think we’ll see as many as the past two years.

This year is shaping up based on the data from the Stratosphere to the developments in the Pacific as more of a year of flooding and heavy rainfall events. Note for example that the atmosphere over North America as a whole features a more stable environment with relatively warm air at the top of the troposphere which is far different from what was observed the past two Springs and Summers. Also note that with an El Nino forming as I type, there is more support for robust low pressure systems loaded with moisture tracking across the country and up the coast. With a more stable atmospheric environment, typically the combination of these two factors lead to stratus based precipitation rather than convective precipitation.

Steve D regarding the Spring and Summer.

Agreed, I think we're going to be entering a period of very active weather.

Not exactly great beach weather on the horizon.

I'm much more interested in the SST in the northern gulf. The last two summers have featured below average temperatures in the northern gulf of Mexico and overall a more hostile environment for tropical cyclone formation.

We usually get our heaviest synoptic rainfall in the summer from recurving tropical remnants.

140327.086.1001.n18.jpg

JB this morning said watch out for a snowstorm from Philly to Boston for the 1st week of April.

I wouldn't write this off. The curse of march will be over and what an amazing curse it has been.

In a winter were everything went right (mid winter) to having everything go wrong it's bound to snap back.

Just a hunch with a little bit of it snows where it wants to snow.

JB this morning said watch out for a snowstorm from Philly to Boston for the 1st week of April.

I'm less enthusiastic about such an outcome. While there is a lot of room for different outcomes, I suspect that the weakening superstorm now passing across western Newfoundland, marked the beginning of a true transition in the sensible weather toward spring. It was a product of a pattern than saw a lot of abnormally cold air locked in across North America, persistent flow of cold air into North America (while Europe was very warm), shortening wave lengths, and increasing solar insolation. At the same time, its expansive circulation will almost certainly have some influence in shaping the pattern going forward.

The transition could last 2-4 weeks. Considering that there is still colder than normal air across Canada and expansive snow cover there, the process will take some time before it is completed. The coming 2-4 weeks will probably be wetter than normal with multiple opportunities for storminess. However, with the proverbial back of the anomalous cold having been broken by the superstorm, the kind of cold anomalies we just experienced--some of the coldest temperatures this late in the season since 1982--probably won't recur. Unlike has been the case in January through late March, where any warmups proved short-lived before sharp shots of cold returned, I suspect we'll be dealing with more modest cold shots. April hasn't had a freezing temperature in NYC since 2007 and I believe it's about 50-50 probability that April 2014 won't have such a reading either despite all of the late-season cold we've been experiencing.

If that's correct, prospects of a moderate or large snowstorm for the NYC metro area won't be very good. This doesn't mean that there can't be a little snow, but even that outcome is far from assured.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived