Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 27th threat - to be discussed in time, but it should tend to more Miller B

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS cut back snow total's here from 1-2" to little or no snow accumulation. It's a good thing we will get snow/freezing rain here and temps no higher than 34F, because rain does not melt snow.

Yeah, a little surprised for that we appear to get a inch or less, I was thinking 1-2 here with 2-4 in the Woodstock/Union hills.  

My friend from UNH just texted saying he got a notification of 8-12" WSW on his phone...but they are very close to the coast and literally like below 100' elevation. If they're going to be in a warning, shouldn't GYX have 4-8" warnings for their southern coastal zones? I don't know...maybe they get 8" but I think it will be difficult.

They are literally 5 miles north of where there aren't even advisories up, and the P+C says less than an inch. A little confusing I will admit.

edit: Not to mention GYX map has <1" for them. Why aren't they consistent???

Yeah I'm in Newmarket and not even under an advisory while 4 miles down the road in Durham it's WSW for 8-12...talk about a gradient

These maps have warnings almost to the coast in NH...then the snowfall map has less than 1"?

]

Doesn't look bad...I mean you can really only use the zone breakouts you have. Everyone of the warned counties in GYX's area has some part forecast for warning snows. There's only so much you can break it down on the county level. It's not like severe whet you issue a polygon.

Like Will said, they can only get so detailed in this stuff and at some point you use local knowledge to figure out your backyard.

New ALY map cut way back. The earlier map had me solidly in the 8-10" zone with 10-14" just to my east. Current map has me on the line between 2-4" and 4-6". While I thought the earlier map was a bit overdone, I think this one is underdone.

I'm still going to stick with my call of 6-7" for the Lenox, Pittsfield area with 10-12" up near 2K. I'm also thinking 2-4" for the Albany area with 1-2" down near Hudson. Some of the Catskills may see double figures as well. I also think the BOX map may be a bit underdone for the northern Pioneer Valley with the 1-2". I'd go 2-4" for there, with 1-2" for the Springfield area.

Doesn't look bad...I mean you can really only use the zone breakouts you have. Everyone of the warned counties in GYX's area has some part forecast for warning snows. There's only so much you can break it down on the county level. It's not like severe whet you issue a polygon.

Like Will said, they can only get so detailed in this stuff and at some point you use local knowledge to figure out your backyard.

Well yes, I can, but not everyone can. It's confusing when my friend from UNH in Durham near the coast has a WSW for 8-12" and one town SE has absolutely nothing and a P+C forecast of <1". I know its a small nit pick but it gets confusing to the public. 

Well yes, I can, but not everyone can. It's confusing when my friend from UNH in Durham near the coast has a WSW for 8-12" and one town SE has absolutely nothing and a P+C forecast of <1". I know its a small nit pick but it gets confusing to the public.

Yeah I hear that....but on the flip side, the north side of that county is forecast for over 6 or 8 inches. So you don't issue anything for that zone and that big snow verifies, you have folks saying that nothing was forecast and we lost power from 8" of heavy wet snow.

It's like any event with a large gradient over a short distance.

Yeah I'm in Newmarket and not even under an advisory while 4 miles down the road in Durham it's WSW for 8-12...talk about a gradient

But the point and click does not show that.

It's like a SVR warning with a thunderstorm clipping a county. The warning shows up for the entire county but you may not see a cloud, lol.

You and your ULL. But yeah. 1" from dat

Yeah I'll go with 1" instead of up to 3 or 4".

Some seem like they will be surprised at how toasted the boundary layer is once the heavier precip moves out. It'll have to really organize under the ULL to drop temps from upper 30s back to freezing to accumulate snow.

Archived