• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

I guess the pattern finally gets really active.

Oh, no doubt. The GFS has a nice thump of precip Saturday night. I hope we can include our LSV friends in the fun. 

Me too, I hate that we have that pesky low that remains in the Great Lakes and probably does just enough to bring in air aloft conducive to more of a mix/rain and makes things hinge on the development of the secondary low on the coast. However, I do think cold air damming is probably being underestimated at this point, as we will have at least some form of a high up north albeit not an ideal position as it looks. It is nice to see the precip available though, models had been southeast with that secondary development. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dare I ask...what does the ECM show?

Euro developed the heavier precip associated with the secondary storm further east than the GFS. The edge of the heavier being roughly a MDT to AVP line and southeast. And of course that far east there's thermal issues at that point. Looks like the low winds up in time to drag the cold in and crack the New England gang pretty good though.

Today's take on the event this time next week seems to be more of an emphasis on the great lakes low sitting and dying while there's an attempt at secondary development but it never really deepens. The result is a moderate precip event with temps that are either really marginal for snow or warm enough for all rain depending on where one is. Really similar looking to the one going on now. We should have a more established blocking regime by the time that one rolls around so I think secondary development will be more of a significant factor than what the Euro had. 

Euro developed the heavier precip associated with the secondary storm further east than the GFS. The edge of the heavier being roughly a MDT to AVP line and southeast. And of course that far east there's thermal issues at that point. Looks like the low winds up in time to drag the cold in and crack the New England gang pretty good though.

Today's take on the event this time next week seems to be more of an emphasis on the great lakes low sitting and dying while there's an attempt at secondary development but it never really deepens. The result is a moderate precip event with temps that are either really marginal for snow or warm enough for all rain depending on where one is. Really similar looking to the one going on now. We should have a more established blocking regime by the time that one rolls around so I think secondary development will be more of a significant factor than what the Euro had. 

This is one weird winter. 

Each day adds about 2 - 4 minutes of daylight, although I never write winter off until St. Patrick's Day (Blizzard of 1993).  After that, I find snow to be a nuisance and am ready for baseball, fishing and severe weather season!

If winter ends on St. Patrick's Day I chalk that up as an early spring. That's what that stupid varmint to my west needs to realize in his prediction. Six more weeks of winter? That's St. Patrick's Day for him and me. 

In fact, that four-legged, orange-toothed moron has such little understanding of his own climate it's like he's an AmericanWx poster or something  :weenie:

I just want to see mdt get a solid 3 to 5 or better before winters out. We have a respectable total at ipt...but have got there the strangest way.

Yeah, me too. 

I forget what year it was, maybe 79-80 or 80-81, we kept missing storm after storm down in York. It was awful. We finally got a 6-8" storm in March. 

I just want to see mdt get a solid 3 to 5 or better before winters out. We have a respectable total at ipt...but have got there the strangest way.

I have 14 days with measurable snow so far totalling 15.8"... 4.1" on Dec 29, 2.7" on Jan 25-26, 2.5" Dec 26, 1.9" Dec 24, 1.2" yesterday, 1" Jan 15, then .6", .5", .3", .3", .3", .2", .1", .1".....

Each day adds about 2 - 4 minutes of daylight, although I never write winter off until St. Patrick's Day (Blizzard of 1993).  After that, I find snow to be a nuisance and am ready for baseball, fishing and severe weather season!

That blizzard 0f 93 always gives me hope for a good one even in march. I was in the Police Acadamy and when they finally let us out it took over an hour just to get from Harrisburg to York. Some exits you couldn't even get off on 83 with a 4 wheel drive and it was early in the storm. Another hour later I wouldn't of got home.

Anyone up to photobomb the gallery that is on the homepage of the forums with photos of our bare sidewalks/lawns? I'm tired of looking at SNE's 3' snow up there. This mostly applies to us valley kids who have zero snowcover anywhere.

That would be funny, lol. Mostly bare ground here with a few patches struggling on in protected areas. 10 miles west is a different story though, I'm sure.

Wow...tough to look at all of the precip. on 18z gfs and realize its rain. Strange year.

For the storm next week it's a mix and man, it's very close. Could go either way. For this weekend, as CTP has noted in their AFD, models have had a hard time with precip types in this pattern. Going to be interesting to watch. It is quite a strange year.

For the storm next week it's a mix and man, it's very close. Could go either way. For this weekend, as CTP has noted in their AFD, models have had a hard time with precip types in this pattern. Going to be interesting to watch. It is quite a strange year.

It has been an interesting winter, the discrepancy between the central regions and the southeast locations snowfall wise this year has been pretty significant as the southeast has unfortunately been on the outskirts of the futility going on just south of the border. It is sort of similar to the 97/98 winter from a snowfall distribution standpoint. It certainly wasn't from an ENSO one, as that was the year of the super nino and a very warm winter temp wise. Anyways, Harrisburg's total for that winter was 11.4"... good enough for the 3rd worst since the 80-81 winter and about 37% of the 31.2" average. State College on the other hand ripped off a 48.2" that season which was a couple inches above average. It was one of those winters that had lots of southern storms but simply no cold air to work with (but apparently just enough for UNV). I hope that theme doesn't play out the rest of this winter and the wealth gets spread around.

I bring this up as more of an observation as this winter is much different and has a much better looking end game in store by the looks of the pattern but at the same time I look at our next two storms and see issues with cold air, especially for the low ground. The really notable ptype handling issues on models this winter had been generally relegated to our interior locations like AOO/UNV/IPT until our most recent event. Regardless, if we can end up developing this blocking pattern I'd be pretty confident on one of these eventual systems in this active pattern to deliver the bigger snowstorm we're all looking for.

Anyone up to photobomb the gallery that is on the homepage of the forums with photos of our bare sidewalks/lawns? I'm tired of looking at SNE's 3' snow up there. This mostly applies to us valley kids who have zero snowcover anywhere.

hold on now, on the north side of my garage, that the sun never see's, there is some here and there patches. :wacko:

looks like a cold rain Friday into Saturday down here..

hold on now, on the north side of my garage, that the sun never see's, there is some here and there patches. :wacko:

looks like a cold rain Friday into Saturday down here..

I am curious to see what happens when the warm front tries to push through tomorrow.  Too often with winds projected to be southeasterly as they are the colder air has won at the surface... warming aloft and cold surface -- ice?.... or does the warm air get hung up by the mountain chain and it end up colder here than expected?...

Archived