wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you or anyone else here would like free seeds, PM me your gmail address and I can share my Google Docs seed list. I have about 180 different varieties and are willing to share many of them. 

And then here comes the 12Z NAM trollin' hard on us in central PA with an earlier secondary transfer. 

And then watch the NAM be 10 degrees warmer next run. :lol:

Seriously, that model has been trash this winter. Gonna be a close one for you guys-the difference maker hopefully is UNV/AOO's elevation.

Mallow isnt the SREF looking a bit better than Gfs? Nws seems pretty low key about it so I guess not good being only 36 hrs out.

Sure, the GFS is the worst.

NAM soundings are really warm above 850mb, so I'm wondering if the same is true in the Euro/UKMET/Canadian solutions (hard to tell just from looking at the graphical output).

Gfs says no worries rain anyway. This thing just doesnt have snow look to it at all. Very disconcerting how warm NAM is above 850. Just not our storm.

Anytime you have a closed 700/850 low west or NW of you, you have to expect non-snow, whether it's sleet or rain or both. I don't think that rule's failed in many years.

Both 12z NAM and GFS output have MDT with surface temps at 36-37 degrees for the duration of the event.  I am wondering if the ice problems may be more widespread than current projections.  If too warm aloft for snow, a number of locations may cool enough at the surface to see some ice.  I really think the heavy precip rates may help the UNV/AOO area see something significant if temps can stay close to freezing... probably right along I-99... We need a clear night with clouds moving in early tomorrow morning but I am not sure if the precip will arrive early enough to keep temps from climbing just a little early in the day.

Euro text coming in a bit colder, keeping AOO just below freezing at 850 for the whole event and keeping UNV generally between -1 and -2ºC. 2m temps right around freezing for the most part except for wed 18z.

UNV text data (order goes: date, 2m, 850, surface pressure, sfc humidity, 700 humidity, 6hr precip, 500 height, 500 thickness)

WED 00Z 27-FEB   0.8    -2.6    1013      95      93    0.19     557     546    WED 06Z 27-FEB   0.4    -1.1    1007      96      92    0.29     549     543    WED 12Z 27-FEB   0.3    -1.9    1002      98     100    0.25     542     540    WED 18Z 27-FEB   1.3    -2.0    1001      93      91    0.31     535     534  

Sure, the GFS is the worst.

NAM soundings are really warm above 850mb, so I'm wondering if the same is true in the Euro/UKMET/Canadian solutions (hard to tell just from looking at the graphical output).

I went back to look at last night's Euro derived skew-t's for UNV since Accuwx pro provides them. I didn't see anything poke above freezing but there was one point at hour 48 where the column generally ran the 0ºC line all the way up to 700mb with slightly below freezing temps below 800mb to approx 925mb. Definitely going to be some lackluster ratios if the ptype ends up being a decent period of snow. 

FWIW Euro has the following:

UNV - just over 1" QPF with 850mb temps -1 to -2 and surface temps 32-34

IPT - just under an inch QPF with nearly similar temps

AOO - nearly an inch QPF with 850 temps just below 0 and surface temps around 32-33 but then have them jump to 40 wed afternoon as precip ends... if decent snow overnight not so sure that quick of a jump if snow on the ground

JST - nearly the same as AOO but QPF closer to .75" before the wed afternoon warmup

edit: lol I figured I would post something the same time as someone else... usually its sauss

AOO - nearly an inch QPF with 850 temps just below 0 and surface temps around 32-33 but then have them jump to 40 wed afternoon as precip ends... if decent snow overnight not so sure that quick of a jump if snow on the ground

JST - nearly the same as AOO but QPF closer to .75" before the wed afternoon warmup

What is MDT? this morning the nam was 1" and GFS show around 3/4"

edit: lol I figured I would post something the same time as someone else... usually its sauss

Good news-the I-99 corridor's elevation might be a big assist here. Sometimes State College or Altoona can cash in on these marginal storms at over 1000 ft. elevation while IPT or SEG have rain or sloppy mixes. If anyone can see soundings, hopefully the warm air at 750-800mb can be held off as well as that's another danger with these primary-secondary systems.

What is MDT? this morning the name was 1" and GFS show around 3/4"

MDT is about .8" with first half of event just above freezing and then showing warming by 12z similar to GFS... If precip rates are heavy enough it might keep temps down but might not be enough here with the strong southeasterly flow at 850mb... I still like the chances for UNV/AOO/JST and possibly even IPT for at least some snow

the 12km resolution of the 12z NAM has a nice thump for our area wed night into thursday if surface temps cooperate but with our luck this will not appear again on future runs lol

Good news-the I-99 corridor's elevation might be a big assist here. Sometimes State College or Altoona can cash in on these marginal storms at over 1000 ft. elevation while IPT or SEG have rain or sloppy mixes. If anyone can see soundings, hopefully the warm air at 750-800mb can be held off as well as that's another danger with these primary-secondary systems.

I have almost everything but a sounding from Euro runs so I was wondering the same thing.  Precip rates are likely going to be heavy enough that will hopefully help with cooling enough so that corridor sees more snow than slop.

MDT is about .8" with first half of event just above freezing and then showing warming by 12z similar to GFS... If precip rates are heavy enough it might keep temps down but might not be enough here with the strong southeasterly flow at 850mb... I still like the chances for UNV/AOO/JST and possibly even IPT for at least some snow

the 12km resolution of the 12z NAM has a nice thump for our area wed night into thursday if surface temps cooperate but with our luck this will not appear again on future runs lol

Thank you!

Euro text coming in a bit colder, keeping AOO just below freezing at 850 for the whole event and keeping UNV generally between -1 and -2ºC. 2m temps right around freezing for the most part except for wed 18z.

UNV text data (order goes: date, 2m, 850, surface pressure, sfc humidity, 700 humidity, 6hr precip, 500 height, 500 thickness)

WED 00Z 27-FEB   0.8    -2.6    1013      95      93    0.19     557     546    WED 06Z 27-FEB   0.4    -1.1    1007      96      92    0.29     549     543    WED 12Z 27-FEB   0.3    -1.9    1002      98     100    0.25     542     540    WED 18Z 27-FEB   1.3    -2.0    1001      93      91    0.31     535     534  

I went back to look at last night's Euro derived skew-t's for UNV since Accuwx pro provides them. I didn't see anything poke above freezing but there was one point at hour 48 where the column generally ran the 0ºC line all the way up to 700mb with slightly below freezing temps below 800mb to approx 925mb. Definitely going to be some lackluster ratios if the ptype ends up being a decent period of snow. 

Good Afternoon Sir. Would you happen to share the Euro Text for KBuf Kroch? Thanks!

do you have the numbers for FIG?

Archived