joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not kicking myself. We called for a wintry mix in the second half of the morning commute changing to plain rain showers by afternoon for a couple of days now. What was surprising, was the rates at which it came down. That really dragged down some colder air and thus heavy snow broke out. It's also true that it was perfect timing to have an efficient radiationally cooled column of air before the clouds came in last night/early this morning. That also dries out the column and thus the wet-bulb differential is greater....allowing for cooler temperatures once the column saturates. 

I am surprised to see over an inch in Cashtown (thanks cashtown_coop!) as that was not expected, but elevation played an important role in this one. Hardly a dusting here south of route 30 in York/Lanc counties eastward. 

very good point.  I had a low of 21 before clouds pushed in and was sitting at 24 at 7am

i meant to ask you, did you take over for drew anderson?  haven't seen him on air in a while

Conditional instability, air parcels being forced upward against the windward side of the Appalachian Mts. combined with ample clearing has enabled a forced line of showers with embedded lightning to develop.  Thus a general risk of thunderstorms has been added for locations west of the Lower Susq. Valley.  given the ample cloud cover and loss of diurnal heating, I suspect any threat for lightning will diminish quickly after sunset.

Sounds good! If your passing thru and see a back yard with 5 rain gauges, 3 temp senors and a large antenna tower with 2 anemometers on top, that's me ! Lol

Brilliant! :) There's a kickass taco truck down that way we go to whenever we head to Hollabaugh Bros. It's at an intersection of cornfields and a Rutters, I totally can't remember the road. On the route to E. Berlin. 942 maybe?

Anyway it has damn fine tacos.

Where is Cashtown exactly?

Apple country

Brilliant! :) There's a kickass taco truck down that way we go to whenever we head to Hollabaugh Bros. It's at an intersection of cornfields and a Rutters, I totally can't remember the road. On the route to E. Berlin. 942 maybe?

Anyway it has damn fine tacos.

Probably 194, or 234. 

Pretty active weather day here for sure. A brief period of heavy sleet that quickly went over to snow starting around 530-6am this morning and accumulating about 1.5". Then a brief period of heavier showers in the afternoon accompanied by a nice crack of thunder. The sun came out right after that went through and now it is windy and the flakes are flying again.

This storm behaved about how I thought it would for the west and north-central. There were several 3 inch amounts reported in the north-central along with a 4.0" amount in Potter County and even a 5.0" in Sullivan County. I wasn't necessarily shocked that wintry precip made it all the way thru C-PA but I was a bit surprised that it ended up being intense enough to cause some bigger issues in places like Harrisburg. Should've known better after seeing the temps on mesowest early this morning before I went to bed. There were alot of mid 20s in the east and around here the main stations like UNV and AOO were above freezing but most of the other weather stations between them were in the low to mid 20s. That coupled with the dry air made for an easy frozen precip scenario.

Pretty active weather day here for sure. A brief period of heavy sleet that quickly went over to snow starting around 530-6am this morning and accumulating about 1.5". Then a brief period of heavier showers in the afternoon accompanied by a nice crack of thunder. The sun came out right after that went through and now it is windy and the flakes are flying again.

This storm behaved about how I thought it would for the west and north-central. There were several 3 inch amounts reported in the north-central along with a 4.0" amount in Potter County and even a 5.0" in Sullivan County. I wasn't necessarily shocked that wintry precip made it all the way thru C-PA but I was a bit surprised that it ended up being intense enough to cause some bigger issues in places like Harrisburg. Should've known better after seeing the temps on mesowest early this morning before I went to bed. There were alot of mid 20s in the east and around here the main stations like UNV and AOO were above freezing but most of the other weather stations between them were in the low to mid 20s. That coupled with the dry air made for an easy frozen precip scenario.

Yeah, I noticed UNV stayed right around freezing while other places nearby were quite a bit below. Any reasons for that? I feel like here in town was close to freezing vs. below it since we didn't get much in the way of accum.

Yeah, I noticed UNV stayed right around freezing while other places nearby were quite a bit below. Any reasons for that? I feel like here in town was close to freezing vs. below it since we didn't get much in the way of accum.

It was 24 here in Bellefonte around 5am, while it was 32 at unv I believe. Had a nasty 3.5hr drive from Bellefonte to Towanda this morning in sleet, snow, and occasional freezing rain. The variations in snowfall were interesting on the drive back this afternoon. Not much of anything from Towanda to Canton, then an inch or so on the ground. Next to nothing south of Lock Haven, and nothing at my office two miles south of Bellefonte, but a solid inch still in shaded areas around downtown. Highest amounts I saw were in northern and central Lycoming County...solid 3-4" in Ralston and Marsh Hill.

I think places like UNV and the AOO ASOS station out in Martinsburg likely had a bit of a southerly/southeasterly breeze going prior to the precip arrival overnight... probably just enough so that it mixed down the warmer air that was not very far aloft (temps were generally in the mid-upper 30s up in the Laurels). Places that were well below freezing were in the more protected valleys, especially the immediate valley right off the Allegheny front. The calm winds at the surface probably allowed for decoupling and radiational cooling to send temps down well into the 20s.

It was 24 here in Bellefonte around 5am, while it was 32 at unv I believe. Had a nasty 3.5hr drive from Bellefonte to Towanda this morning in sleet, snow, and occasional freezing rain. The variations in snowfall were interesting on the drive back this afternoon. Not much of anything from Towanda to Canton, then an inch or so on the ground. Next to nothing south of Lock Haven, and nothing at my office two miles south of Bellefonte, but a solid inch still in shaded areas around downtown. Highest amounts I saw were in northern and central Lycoming County...solid 3-4" in Ralston and Marsh Hill.

We have about 1.5-2 on the ground here, already starting to freeze.

Looks like some nice snow showers on the way on radar.

Archived