• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Revenge of the Weekend Warrior Storm: 2/15-2/16

PhineasC

There are plenty of houses for sale in Damascus. We almost always do better than Rockville on these marginal events. :)

I sometimes make the drive from Westminster south on MD27 through Damascus to 270 and Damascus seems to be the last stretch of persistent snowcover.   It frequently drops off rather quickly just south of there heading towards 270.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of houses for sale in Damascus. We almost always do better than Rockville on these marginal events. :)

They sell beer in Rockville though. Life is full of tradeoffs.

I worked in mt airy for 5 years. Driving to and from during and after storms was cool. 30 miles seemed like 100 at times with the diff snow accum

yeah i grew up in the high desert of so cal with a san andreas range right in front of our house (well, 15 mi away or so).. we were at like 2800, peaks there to like 5000... i got used to seeing snow but not getting it at a young age. moving to nw ct warped me for the rest of my msg board years tho.. getting the most snow was my thing. now it will never happen again. :P

It's wacky out West until you live there for a bit. My first year in co was nutty. Lived and worked at 10k but had a 15 mile drive down and up. Valley was about 8800. Yard would get 10, valley 4 and work 12 etc. Sometimes my yard would get 2 and work 10 and vice versa.Took me a while to wrap my head around it.

Yep, 1979 PD1 was tops in my lifetime, but Feb 83 was sick in the thunderstorms with cloud-ground lightning and booming thunder...then Feb 87 was more like Feb 79 for sheer intensity....plus it was intense for most of the storm....9 hours....  So after three intense events in a 8 year span I didn't see rates near that until Feb 9/10, 2010.

I was 10 in 83 and can remember some pretty sick rates. I know there had to be 3 inch an hour or even better at some points. If I remember correctly the storm started in the early morning hours and ended by early evening. I lived in Owings Mills then and we had over 2 feet which meant a sustained period of 2inch  an hour rates. I don't remember the snow easing up until it was over. More than 2 feet of snow in roughly a 12-16 hour period is very impressive. Only have vague recollections of 79, one of them being unable to push the front door open.

It's wacky out West until you live there for a bit. My first year in co was nutty. Lived and worked at 10k but had a 15 mile drive down and up. Valley was about 8800. Yard would get 10, valley 4 and work 12 etc. Sometimes my yard would get 2 and work 10 and vice versa.Took me a while to wrap my head around it.

Good move coming here.

If the DC/BALT crowd can switch over, you might have something here. When you look at regional radar, it looks like its moving through, but a wider view shows that line creeping and redevelopment along it looks possible. Who knows, maybe get lucky.

Starting to mix some flakes, does look like it could train over mitch, me, ravensrule, and co, but I mean we'll see. Low percentage. 

Good move coming here.

Doesn't matter. I still got really pissed when we got 6 and they called for 12-18. Or we got 280 instead of 360 on the year. A whiff was probably worse because we made big plans to ski powder and woke up disgusted and bored. We're a very sick group of people. They need to make a pill for us.

If the DC/BALT crowd can switch over, you might have something here. When you look at regional radar, it looks like its moving through, but a wider view shows that line creeping and redevelopment along it looks possible. Who knows, maybe get lucky.

I've been under decent radar returns and nothing falling for the last hour.

I was 10 in 83 and can remember some pretty sick rates. I know there had to be 3 inch an hour or even better at some points. If I remember correctly the storm started in the early morning hours and ended by early evening. I lived in Owings Mills then and we had over 2 feet which meant a sustained period of 2inch  an hour rates. I don't remember the snow easing up until it was over. More than 2 feet of snow in roughly a 12-16 hour period is very impressive. Only have vague recollections of 79, one of them being unable to push the front door open.

No doubt that 83 had some pretty sick rates, but it was at its sickest during the early afternoon thunderstorms which seemed to last about an hour or maybe a little more.

Archived