joxey
February 8th-9th Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS

ohmy.png

A major winter storm is expected to impact the Northeast and New England Friday into Saturday. As much as one to two feet of snow is forecast from the New York City metro area to Maine, with localized heavier amounts possible. This, in addition to wind gusts as high as 60-75 mph will create significant impacts to transportation and power. Coastal flooding is also possible from Boston northward.

You have to look at that list and really wonder. If you were a 90's kid (folks in their 20's and 30's today), you have been through 6/10 of the greatest snowfalls in NYC, and quite possibly heading towards 7/10. I don't think it's a coincidence. Folks from the Greatest Generation will tell you that something fishy has been going on.

I don't think it is. My first 26 years I saw 1 storm top 15" in 1983. In the next 17 starting in 1996 I've seen 9 off the top of my head.

2/8 is the only day from 2/6 to 2/13 that the daily snowfall record at Central Park is not double digits, so if we can get 10.0 tomorrow we'll have 8 consecutive days historically with more than 10 inches, pretty clear where our favored time period is.  I should add 2/8/94 probably had 10.0 inches at NYC but that was the early stages of the suspect measurements starting, NWS moved to OKX in October 93.

That's an interesting stat. I always viewed the first week of Jan. and the first two weeks of Feb as prime.

2/8 is the only day from 2/6 to 2/13 that the daily snowfall record at Central Park is not double digits, so if we can get 10.0 tomorrow we'll have 8 consecutive days historically with more than 10 inches, pretty clear where our favored time period is.

It does something other than snow but the Euro can sometimes be too warm in these dynamic cooling events much like most models.  I think the key tomorrow for anyone near the coast is see when that winds comes around north of 060, as soon as we go 030-050 we're probably going to changeover quickly.

do you hav nyc soundings?  i honestly think as depicted  it is all now

2/8 is the only day from 2/6 to 2/13 that the daily snowfall record at Central Park is not double digits, so if we can get 10.0 tomorrow we'll have 8 consecutive days historically with more than 10 inches, pretty clear where our favored time period is.

We also have several anniversaries of historic events this year from 78/83/93/2003, only 93 wasn't during this period. This would continue the trend

Archived