joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't think it does. There are portions of the precip where the surface temperatures are a bit above freezing, but it looks like pretty much all snow for NYC, and for JFK, probably 2" or slightly higher or so of that 2.7" of QPF are all snow. 

Thanks Man.

From Mt. Holly AFDWE`VE HAD AN EASTERN REGION CONFERENCE CALL WITH NCEP AT NOON ANDUNLESS THE ECMWF BACKS OFF CONSIDERABLY TO THE SE IN THE 12ZRUN...WE WILL WARN AND ADVISE. DETAILS TO BE FORTHCOMING AROUND230 PM.

Well since the Euro actually came a bit west, expect warnings to go out in a half an hour for Mt. Holly's CWA.

Im sorry. I respectively disagree here.

The euro for NYC and LGA is 2.25" and 2.39" of total precip.

Surface temps start at 36 degrees right when precip enters at 7am. By 1pm it's 34 degrees and only .26" has fallen.

Anything after that is 33 degrees and below and as low as 26 degrees Saturday early morning.

At worst, .25"-.30" of the precip is wet snow/mix and 2"-2.13" of it is pure and super heavy accumulating snow.

Even using only 10 to 1 ratio, it's 20"+ for NYC and LGA.

and I doubt that it will 10:1 considering the temps at h7 and even h8 once in the CCB

It looks like about 15-16 inches for NYC/LGA/EWR/JFK region overall on the Euro, but I'd be wary of that changeover being earlier and hence more of that other 0.70-0.80 being snow, the Euro has a changeover maybe around 01Z, but it could easily be 4-5 hours before that I think.

I'm thinking we're mostly in a very good position. You always have to watch the warm surge from primary low situations like this and I think still there's at least some mixing for coastal areas, but as that low cranks up what does mix rapidly goes to plastering snow. If we have a stalling or crawling deformation band, amounts could be insane.

New map from Upton, looks like no changes. Dare I say this is where Bloomberg got his forecast from?

they are definitely thinking higher at this point. snipped from the afd:

KEWR FCSTER COMMENTS: SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL EXPECTED FRIDAY EVENING INTO EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES OF 3 INCHES PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS BETWEEN 10 AND 15 INCHES. STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW INTO SATURDAY. 

Thanks Man.

No problem. Turned out text soundings supported 1.9" of precip for JFK as snow, which obviously is great! 

I'm still skeptical of widespread 2"+ precip amounts for all of our area given the lack of a true block, but this storm will definitely come to a crawl and 1.5 to 2.0" of precip certainly seems likely. 

I noticed that there was a 50/50 low last night on most models though.

No problem. Turned out text soundings supported 1.9" of precip for JFK as snow, which obviously is great! 

I'm still skeptical of widespread 2"+ precip amounts for all of our area given the lack of a true block, but this storm will definitely come to a crawl and 1.5 to 2.0" of precip certainly seems likely. 

I noticed that there was a 50/50 low last night on most models though.

Yes, there certainly is. And I guess that's the point of having a block to begin with, is to force a 50/50 low to remain in place. The pattern is still just a bit progressive, which is why I'm skeptical of the widespread 2-3" QPF amounts for now, but it still clearly supports a widespread 1.5 to 2" of precip. 

For reference, top 10 highest snowfalls in NYC:

1) 26.9" Feb 11-12, 2006
2) 26.4" Dec 26-27, 1947
3) 21.0" Mar 12-14, 1888
4) 20.8" Feb 25-26, 2010
5) 20.2" Jan 7-8, 1996
6) 20.0" Dec 26-27, 2010
7) 19.8" Feb 16-17, 2003
8) 19.0" Jan 26-27, 2011
9) 18.1" Mar 7-8, 1941
10) 17.7" Feb 5-7, 1978

Euro verbatim is Top 5...

You have to look at that list and really wonder. If you were a 90's kid (folks in their 20's and 30's today), you have been through 6/10 of the greatest snowfalls in NYC, and quite possibly heading towards 7/10. I don't think it's a coincidence. Folks from the Greatest Generation will tell you that something fishy has been going on.

For reference, top 10 highest snowfalls in NYC:

Euro verbatim is Top 5...

You have to look at that list and really wonder. If you were a 90's kid (folks in their 20's and 30's today), you have been through 6/10 of the greatest snowfalls in NYC, and quite possibly heading towards 7/10. I don't think it's a coincidence. Folks from the Greatest Generation will tell you that something fishy has been going on.

Meanwhile its pretty much impossible for us break record lows outside of the months of May-August and I think our last top 10 coldest month was July 2000

Archived