Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

this. Cant wait to travel to work friday night, its gunna be a nightmare

btw for anyone who doesn't know about it, DT did this amazing list several years ago where almost every major/historic east coast snowstorm has either started, continued, or ended on either saturday or sunday. This would certainly not buck the trend here. There were a couple several years ago that did, I believe 1/27/11 was a weekday.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw for anyone who doesn't know about it, DT did this amazing list several years ago where almost every major/historic east coast snowstorm has either started, continued, or ended on either saturday or sunday. This would certainly not buck the trend here. There were a couple several years ago that did, I believe 1/27/11 was a weekday.

Does anyone have his latest call?

Yeah the 2/10/10 and 2/26/10 sorta broke that rule and then 1/27/11. They were all Wednesday/Thursday storms

this. Cant wait to travel to work friday night, its gunna be a nightmare

Metro north already saying they will potentially limit service, the trains are packed enough when it's not snowing, if they go to a sunday schedule(which they say they might), that's 1/2 hourly expresses to stamford instead of every 10 minutes, and no limited or semi express trains, it would be a complete disaster...

-skisheep

Yeah, the GFS/NAM compromise is the euro solution from last night. It will be interesting to see the 12z run today.

Maybe a stronger southern development pumps the ridge to the east a tad more forcing a track closer to the

coast and earlier phase. I would be great  see this bombing even a little more moving over KHAT.

Other mets in the NE forum have mentioned that it could force the phase east somewhat because it's the dominant S/W, and that it's necessary to also strengthen the northern stream accordingly. If the Euro holds in an hour, it's a great, great sign.

Is that really a big deal?  Basically says that most storms happen Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - that's 4 of the 7 days in aweek.  

If you cut the week into parts of 4 days and 3 days, I would expect most storms to occur in the part with more days in it 

Plume Viewer (SREF) now up to 14" for NYC (up from 10" on last run and up from 6" yesterday) and down to 28" from 31" for Boston---steady since yesterday.     NYC increase due to greater QPF but still some wasted precip. as sleet, ice etc.   Potential now 18" for full conversion @10:1.

Other mets in the NE forum have mentioned that it could force the phase east somewhat because it's the dominant S/W, and that it's necessary to also strengthen the northern stream accordingly. If the Euro holds in an hour, it's a great, great sign.

We just don't have very many analog split flow snowy phase bombs.Our best storms  are usually all STJ developments 

or when the whole northern stream is forced south under a block. Most of the split flow phasing events of the

past have blasted either New England or the Maritimes. This is a very rare set up for us and an interesting

study case.

For kjfk at max temp I could find was 34 F. Problem is the 850-900 layer is warm, so it could be in the form of sleet/snow even a little bit of rain.

yes - i mentioned this and posted the skews earlier...but by hr 36 or 39 its all cold enough

Is that really a big deal?  Basically says that most storms happen Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - that's 4 of the 7 days in aweek.  

If you cut the week into parts of 4 days and 3 days, I would expect most storms to occur in the part with more days in it 

thats actually not what it says. The storm has to include saturday and or sunday. I odds are not 4/7. 

Well even if you only include storms that happened on just Saturday or Sunday, that's still March 1993, January 1996, December 2000, January 2005, February 2006, December 2009, and December 2010.  There may be more but those are the more recent ones I can think of.

Now will the Euro be consistent asI fully expect it to be. It has done the least amount of waffling and it's the best model by far.

By the way, when it comes to major events, the Euro is king. When it comes to minor events, it struggles just like all of the other models but it always seem to pick up a huge storm days in advance and stay the course. 

Archived