• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

the NAM always overdoes precip so keep that in mind and love that people are even commenting on it after trashing it

Honestly, one could argue that the totals would be even higher. You're going to see some 3-5" per hour rates in the strongest banding. The CCB stays over us for 12-14 hours. You do the math.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just gazed at the skew-t's at JFK from hours 39-48...the ratios might be pretty damn good (by that i mean amazing) at h7 the temps are about -12...i think thats about as perfect as it gets for snow growth...would love to see those cool charts that show omega

That would be good, along with a lot of lift that's occurring. I'd think maybe 12 or 13:1 with that.

If that warm nose is close enough to 0C, then the heavy precip should help to cool that off, IMO. Of course, a lack of heavy precip would not be able to do that, but considering what we're seeing on the models now... 

for JFK its not even close...probably +2 or so and its fairly thick

EDIT - its not letting save the image

If that warm nose is close enough to 0C, then the heavy precip should help to cool that off, IMO. Of course, a lack of heavy precip would not be able to do that, but considering what we're seeing on the models now... 

The hardest part of this storm forecasting for people who want to know timing all comes down to if that changeover occurs, the wind directions on the models east of 060 which is usually the magic number here for a changeover suggest from 15-22Z or so we should turn over but I'm not so sure if that period is a bit longer or does not happen at all.  I'm worried about some sort of crazy heavy band swinging across early in the event during the mid AM that kills any chance of a changeover.

the NAM always overdoes precip so keep that in mind and love that people are even commenting on it after trashing it

People are excited because of trend to the Euro and more amplified modeling. And the liquid output isn't much different than other models like the Euro. If this develops in time and the CCB pivots overhead, a lot of people will be very, very happy.

Wow! Thanks to all who make this site remarkable to follow!

Thought we were out of the game in the Northern Pocono/Scranton area but that NAM Clown map looks promising!

Taking it with a grain of salt but starting to think we are going to do better than the 1-2 inches on the local news this AM-LOL.

Wnep always downplays storms especially the mornin and afternoon Wx hosts. But however I would watch out for that cut off gradient which usually screws anyone nw of the Pocono plateau in storms with this path. Think back to 2010/2011. Monmouth county nj had more than 30 inches on the ground and wilkes barre had a dusting.

The hardest part of this storm forecasting for people who want to know timing all comes down to if that changeover occurs, the wind directions on the models east of 060 which is usually the magic number here for a changeover suggest from 15-22Z or so we should turn over but I'm not so sure if that period is a bit longer or does not happen at all.  I'm worried about some sort of crazy heavy band swinging across early in the event during the mid AM that kills any chance of a changeover.

I feel the same way. I posted the NAM on facebook and everyone is asking me about changeover (to snow) times, and I just said around 5 p.m....it's not an easy forecast. 

I'd be pretty surprised if Long Island sees no rain and no sleet. But models do have the tendency to underestimate ageostrophic flow in bombing coastal storms, especially considering that once the primary dies, we will have full access to the cold source region from the high to the north, only aiding in cold air advection. 

Could be similar to the situation that happened on 12/5/03 

The 4km is about .75-1.00  mixed or rain for front end coastal areas. The rest is all snow after about 5 pm or so.

The CCB placement would be ideal for the area to really get blasted with very heavy snow tomorrow night.

P-type concerns front end

CCB dynamite at night

Based off the latest the real stuff and accumulating snows for the NYC/NJ metro and c-nj areas should occur between 4P and 6PM give or take an hour.

The simulated radar has the precip starting around here late morning as snow and staying all snow NW of the city. The city eastward briefly changes over.

The 4km is about .75-1.00  mixed or rain for front end coastal areas. The rest is all snow after about 5 pm or so.

The CCB placement would be ideal for the area to really get blasted with very heavy snow tomorrow night.

P-type concerns front end

attachicon.gif ptot35.gif

CCB dynamite at night

attachicon.gif ptot60.gif

NYC loses .50 - .75 to rain or mixed on this , 1.75- 2 is Snow .. total qpf is around 3 so 15- 20 is possible , would match Euro

Archived