• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PUNTING NEMO

Ji

It can probably be said that winter storm Nemo was the 2nd most intense winter storm event for Long Island, Connecticut, eastern Massachusetts, and perhaps Rhode Island. For Long Island, and Connecticut the Blizzard of 1888 remains unparalleled whereas for Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts the Blizzard of 1978 remains the top event. For southeastern Maine it would appear that Nemo has been the most extreme snowstorm on record. Of course, this is a broad statement and for some localities in Connecticut and Massachusetts Nemo may have been even worse than the storms of 1888 and 1978 and for other localities in the region other major snowstorms may have been worse than any one of the three.

I might add that is a bit unsettling that two of the most significant storms in the past 300 years to strike the northeastern quadrant of the U.S. have occurred within just four months from one another.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

being that much of the mid atlantic experienced three huge snowstorms three winters ago and several other big events in the past fifteen to twenty years i thought there might be some insight into asking about measuring big totals.

in no way did i mean to offend anyone, i was simply asking a question.

i won't post in this forum again, my apologies again if i offended anyone.

being that much of the mid atlantic experienced three huge snowstorms three winters ago and several other big events in the past fifteen to twenty years i thought there might be some insight into asking about measuring big totals.

No worries, a lot of folks are sour with regards to the lack of snow. I admire the way you took it, I wouldn't have reacted as well. Its every 6 hours for measuring and clearing a "snow board" like mechanism. It was a hard event to measure with the drifts, so it was a peculiar situation.

it's fine....I'm bitter...my apologies...but not sure why this is the forum for your questions..

No apology needed.  This sub-forum is full of some of the biggest whiners on the whole forum.

No worries, a lot of folks are sour with regards to the lack of snow. I admire the way you took it, I wouldn't have reacted as well. Its every 6 hours for measuring and clearing a "snow board" like mechanism. It was a hard event to measure with the drifts, so it was a peculiar situation.

I guess you have to have some uniform standard to get comparable measurements, and I've seen people say that clearing your snowboard more often "inflates" snow totals, but I have to say that I think that is total horse****. If there's 2 inches of snow on my board, then 2 inches of snow fell. If I clean it, come back in two hours, and there's two more inches, then 4 inches of snow has fallen. Period.

I don't do either. I'm lazy and just wait til it's over and measure what's there.

I guess you have to have some uniform standard to get comparable measurements, and I've seen people say that clearing your snowboard more often "inflates" snow totals, but I have to say that I think that is total horse****. If there's 2 inches of snow on my board, then 2 inches of snow fell. If I clean it, come back in two hours, and there's two more inches, then 4 inches of snow has fallen. Period.

I don't do either. I'm lazy and just wait til it's over and measure what's there.

I wipe the board as often as possible, then add 10% to my totals to make up for any mistakes I might have made in measuring. And if I'm feeling particularly unmanly on the day, I'll consider adding up to another 10% to cover up my self-loathing.

Nobody cares. Get the hell out of our forum

That was uncalled for.  There is no rule that you cannot post in another region's forum, so long as you are on topic and not trolling.  I admit it is wise to treat softly when posting out of region, but I post in other regional threads with my thoughts when there is an event in that area from time to time, and I have never had someone lay into me like that.  His post was on topic and was contributing to the discussion on here, not trolling or distracting.  I don't want others to feel they are unwelcome to post in our regional thread if they have something of substance to add to the discourse, and especially if its someone with knowledge that can add to the thread.  You have always had some regional war going on and I understand your sentiments but some of us do not feel that way.  At times I still miss the old days when we had one model thread for the entire board, I miss the comments from others in our "family" and hate having to go to 5 different threads to see everything.  Please don't make our region one where others feel unwelcome. 

That was uncalled for.  There is no rule that you cannot post in another region's forum, so long as you are on topic and not trolling.  I admit it is wise to treat softly when posting out of region, but I post in other regional threads with my thoughts when there is an event in that area from time to time, and I have never had someone lay into me like that.  His post was on topic and was contributing to the discussion on here, not trolling or distracting.  I don't want others to feel they are unwelcome to post in our regional thread if they have something of substance to add to the discourse, and especially if its someone with knowledge that can add to the thread.  You have always had some regional war going on and I understand your sentiments but some of us do not feel that way.  At times I still miss the old days when we had one model thread for the entire board, I miss the comments from others in our "family" and hate having to go to 5 different threads to see everything.  Please don't make our region one where others feel unwelcome. 

I apologized already in this thread and I sent him a PM....

i live up here in sne and live in perhaps what is the most notorious "snow minimum" area. i measured an avg depth as the snow was winding down of 21.5 inches in an area with relatively minimal drifting because of so many trees and houses. it was a 25 hr duration event up here with terrible snow growth and ratios for the first twelve hours. i measured in six hour intervals and came up with 25 inches but thought that was a bit too high considering the average depth so went with 24 for an event total as a compromise. there is a lot of mositure in this stuff, i dont care what the wfos say.

I have been trying to find out from fellow sne posters if those 33 to 40 inch amounts were avg depths at the end of were those totals done with six hour measurements. how do you guys in general handle this? the reason i ask is that your area has had several great storms over the past few years.

i was only in on the edge of the mega band and it was awesome, 17 inches from 9pm to 245am with legit rates of 4inch/hr at one point.

I've had some 5-6"ph bursts a few times for 10-15 minutes and been in some hour long 3"ph stuff few times so I know what it looks like and it's special. So the 4"ph+ stuff is a lifetime memory.  Sometimes when it's really hard to get measurements it helps to watch the snow in the intervals it's at a lull and if you have watched enough snow you will be able to know the ph rate.

#25 on the NESIS scale.  #24?  Feb 5-6, 2010.  http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

I just got back from Southampton NY and I can tell your first hand....this was an historic storm not for snow fall totals, but rate.  We went to bed at 11pm Friday night with under an inch on the ground and woke up Saturday morning at 6am to 30+ inches.  Hard to tell snow totals because of the drifting snow and winds.  Going with the Upton measurement at 30.5

Stopped at a local diner Friday evening and they saw our Maryland tags and asked us what we were doing in Southampton.  My reply.....I drove six hours to get my "snow fix"    ROFL.  I think they believed me.

I just got back from Southampton NY and I can tell your first hand....this was an historic storm not for snow fall totals, but rate.  We went to bed at 11pm Friday night with under an inch on the ground and woke up Saturday morning at 6am to 30+ inches.  Hard to tell snow totals because of the drifting snow and winds.  Going with the Upton measurement at 30.5

Stopped at a local diner Friday evening and they saw our Maryland tags and asked us what we were doing in Southampton.  My reply.....I drove six hours to get my "snow fix"    ROFL.  I think they believed me.

I'm not trying to be a ash, but did you drive all the way up there and then sleep through it?

Archived