Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 30 Rain Event- Toasty temps Mt Tolland blows away

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone downwind of the mtns, like Bennington and on the western slopes of the Whites and Greens are getting torched.

Even the dacks are on fire 50s, Massena NY was 62 last time I checked.  Another day in some spots of +30 departures like a couple weeks ago, Mansfield might break all time jan record high.

May want to at least loosely compare this southerly LLJ event to 1/18/06...when I was at Upton. I don't have the maps handy but IIRC There may be a lot of similarities to the strength of the wind profile. IIRC there was a 59kt gust at OXC.

Prob rip more here on the backside of the FROPA when we get the wind shift out of the WNW and temp drop unless we get convection of course

last winter? have to look back but I thought you had 100 plus last year

not this close in to the event though, IIRC. i've seen 100 knots at that level before but usually it's a few days out. i'm sure it's happened but it's not very common :lol:

and this thing extends down *LOW* the ground. hurricane force at like ~500-600 feet AGL. that's ridiciulous. 

Prob rip more here on the backside of the FROPA when we get the wind shift out of the WNW and temp drop unless we get convection of course

that is the higher probability. However do not be surprised if all of a sudden an hour before fropa you get your doors ripped off and there are 20k without power.

not this close in to the event though, IIRC. i've seen 100 knots at that level before but usually it's a few days out. i'm sure it's happened but it's not very common :lol:

and this thing extends down *LOW* the ground. hurricane force at like ~500-600 feet AGL. that's ridiciulous.

2/25/12 we had Kev calling for multiple casualties

May want to at least loosely compare this southerly LLJ event to 1/18/06...when I was at Upton. I don't have the maps handy but IIRC There may be a lot of similarities to the strength of the wind profile. IIRC there was a 59kt gust at OXC.

I remember that well.  Similar with temp profiles too, rising quickly 30+ degrees from day before.  Here's an old Con Edison storm report from that one.

http://www.dps.ny.gov/ConEdiso-January2006StormReport.pdf

going to be hvy hvy tree top gusts.

late tonight it may be one of those eerie situations when you go outside and the winds are relatively light but every few minutes you hear this roar come through the trees...then disappear until the next bout of mixing.

that  wont be to hard to mix some of those down I dont think

late tonight it may be one of those eerie situations when you go outside and the winds are relatively light but every few minutes you hear this roar come through the trees...then disappear until the next bout of mixing.

yeah that's exactly what i was thinking. very typical with these S flow set-ups. i'm still iffy on how much we are able to tap tomorrow morning. i hate relying on precip drag. but when the jet is so low you could almost throw a baseball into, you start to wonder :lol: 

Stop getting me all excited. I'm going to be up all night now.

you may be a bit far west for those shenanigans tonight since the core of the LLJ will be on the coastal plain. But i guess on the other hand you may be more prone to more robust convection. Either way you rip tomorrow...maybe even 45-50 kt for a time behind the front.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA1204 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013...STRONG TO DAMAGING WIND GUSTS LATE TONIGHT INTO MID MORNINGTHURSDAY...CTZ002>004-MAZ002>005-008>012-026-NHZ011-012-015-310115-/O.UPG.KBOX.HW.A.0001.130130T2300Z-130131T1600Z//O.EXB.KBOX.HW.W.0001.130131T0300Z-130131T1400Z//O.CON.KBOX.FG.Y.0004.000000T0000Z-130130T1900Z/HARTFORD CT-TOLLAND CT-WINDHAM CT-WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-CHESHIRE NH-EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH NH-WESTERN AND CENTRAL HILLSBOROUGH NH-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...UNION...VERNON...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...ORANGE...BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...CHESTERFIELD...BLANDFORD...AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON...SPRINGFIELD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...AYER...JAFFREY...KEENE...MANCHESTER...NASHUA...PETERBOROUGH...WEARE1204 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013...DENSE FOG ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST THISAFTERNOON......HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AMEST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH WINDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM ESTTHURSDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES THROUGH THE  MID AFTERNOON.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS BETWEEN 50 AND 60 MPH  EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT INTO MID MORNING THURSDAY.

Archived