Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 30 Rain Event- Toasty temps Mt Tolland blows away

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice way to forget about the 1 day torch.  Fluffy, big dendrites too.

Sure is, Chris.  I was in Shelburne Falls this afternoon--they still have close to 100% coverage--and a couple inches at that.  I was wondering if you might have the same since you're tucked in along the Green.

Now, the stars are out again.  Fun day and night--constantly changing.

Sure is, Chris. I was in Shelburne Falls this afternoon--they still have close to 100% coverage--and a couple inches at that. I was wondering if you might have the same since you're tucked in along the Green.

Now, the stars are out again. Fun day and night--constantly changing.

Still decent coverage in parts of Greenfield. Everything covered from tonights surprise snow.

Stars are out then a good gust comes and there will be a few minutes of clouds and -sn.

Interesting week of weather.

we had a good snow shower around 6 was surprised.. nothing left otg here besides piles   getting windy out there again

Still decent coverage in parts of Greenfield. Everything covered from tonights surprise snow.
Stars are out then a good gust comes and there will be a few minutes of clouds and -sn.

Yup. With the wind comes the snow.  Just had another burst a few minutes back.

I see the winds gusted up to 117 on the rock pile.  Not too shabby.

edit:  snowing again, ftw.

If you want some what accurate dew point plan on spending over a hundred.   Maybe LaCrosse or Accurite?

Why is it so hard to get one with an accurate dew point?

Any idea how good this Ambient Weather Station is?  http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1171-Temperature-Barometer/dp/B003OSSH9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359689212&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+station+dew+point

Why is it so hard to get one with an accurate dew point?

Any idea how good this Ambient Weather Station is?  http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1171-Temperature-Barometer/dp/B003OSSH9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359689212&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+station+dew+point

Most common maket (big box store) weather stations stations do not have DP reading. A few of the ones that do don't allow you to read DP only, they switch between DP and WC depending on the outside temperature. 

There are defintely some non-Davis stations that have seperate DP readings, do your research and then check Amazon, Ebay or CL.  I had an Accurite that was right on with DP but the remote sensor fried after 2 years.

Any other less expensive weather stations you would recommend? Even something that just has accurate temp/dew readings...

Unfortunately I find it's you get what you pay for until you get to the Davis price range. Siting and sheltering the equipment imo is just as important as the accuracy of the sensor. I'd always recommend fan aspiration for the most accurate and responsive readings too. There are some other options with 1-wire if you want to do some DIY, but you need to put in the 1-wire research. What's your price limit?

Unfortunately I find it's you get what you pay for until you get to the Davis price range. Siting and sheltering the equipment imo is just as important as the accuracy of the sensor. I'd always recommend fan aspiration for the most accurate and responsive readings too. There are some other options with 1-wire if you want to do some DIY, but you need to put in the 1-wire research. What's your price limit?

I'm realizing that Davis would have been a better initial investment now that I've burned through a cheaper set up.  False economy ftl.

Wow, just drove home from hatfield to bernardston. Crazy lake streamer in Greenfield. I'd say easilly 1"+ per hour snows, simply dumping. Funny to go from no snow to an inch otg in like 2 miles. Heavy dusting at home. Hopefully that band lingers and the b'east can get a few inches of white gold. No doubt they need all they can get after yesterday....

Most common maket (big box store) weather stations stations do not have DP reading. A few of the ones that do don't allow you to read DP only, they switch between DP and WC depending on the outside temperature. 

There are defintely some non-Davis stations that have seperate DP readings, do your research and then check Amazon, Ebay or CL.  I had an Accurite that was right on with DP but the remote sensor fried after 2 years.

I'm realizing that Davis would have been a better initial investment now that I've burned through a cheaper set up.  False economy ftl.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I can afford the price of a Davis, but I wonder if it might be worth it in the long run. 

Thanks so much for all the info and advice, it's much appreciated.

Archived