Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 30 Rain Event- Toasty temps Mt Tolland blows away

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite 100 knots almost down to 900mbs....I'm not sure this will be much anywhere - down here included. It's tough with that much wind off the deck not to get interested but the temp profiles are overly meh. And relying on convective elements or precip drag is a crapshoot.

It's definitely going to howl but I'm just not confident on what the high end is. Given 65-75 knots aloft is more typical in these and typically leads to gusts of 48-53 mph at the surface I think 60 is attainable but I'm hesitant to go much more than that.

The lower resolution of the gfs of course has sustained winds of line 45 knots lol

Despite 100 knots almost down to 900mbs....I'm not sure this will be much anywhere - down here included. It's tough with that much wind off the deck not to get interested but the temp profiles are overly meh. And relying on convective elements or precip drag is a crapshoot.

It's definitely going to howl but I'm just not confident on what the high end is. Given 65-75 knots aloft is more typical in these and typically leads to gusts of 48-53 mph at the surface I think 60 is attainable but I'm hesitant to go much more than that.

The lower resolution of the gfs of course has sustained winds of line 45 knots lol

Yeah it's inverted for sure. I do think 60 gusts will happen in the typical areas of SE MA away from the water where it may be closer to 60. It's eye opening to see winds that strong so low though...I don't remember seeing winds like that before.

Yeah it's inverted for sure. I do think 60 gusts will happen in the typical areas of SE MA away from the water where it may be closer to 60. It's eye opening to see winds that strong so low though...I don't remember seeing winds like that before.

That's the key.  HWW is likely needed there.  Advisories should cover most everyone else.

yeah that's the part that gives me pause / concern. it's very strong. seeing 925 winds of 90 knots is pretty amazing. i want that on a NE wind with a 950 low over the BM. :lol:

yeah that's the part that gives me pause / concern. it's very strong. seeing 925 winds of 90 knots is pretty amazing. i want that on a NE wind with a 950 low over the BM. :lol:

Ha, I thought the same.

BUFKIT NAM which is wicked inverted still had like 45kt sustained at ACK. We all know how srly wind events usually perform...but hopefully we can get more 60ish gusts instead of the typical; 50mph or so crap.

Ha, I thought the same.

BUFKIT NAM which is wicked inverted still had like 45kt sustained at ACK. We all know how srly wind events usually perform...but hopefully we can get more 60ish gusts instead of the typical; 50mph or so crap.

ACK will rip. i'm pretty confident on that one. they do well compared to the Cape in the S flow with the airport right on the south side of the island like that and probably just being slightly closer to the warmer water S of the region. 

if we can get a really big temp spike that could help to. 

i don't know. it's interesting for sure. i agree 60 is more in reach than usual. 

ACK will rip. i'm pretty confident on that one. they do well compared to the Cape in the S flow with the airport right on the south side of the island like that and probably just being slightly closer to the warmer water S of the region. 

if we can get a really big temp spike that could help to. 

i don't know. it's interesting for sure. i agree 60 is more in reach than usual. 

Yeah thinking about gusts >50kts near 12z there tomorrow. Fun TAF.

scooter - how often do the airlines change / delay / cancel arrivals and departures out of Logan in a situation like this? i only ask because i know someone flying out of Logan tonight at midnight and they were asking me my thoughts. 

Midnight will be fine I think. Tomorrow morning could have a ton of delays...and hopefully winds stay under 50kts. Huge turbulence issues tomorrow morning I think.

Archived