joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 Mid-Atlantic Severe General Discussion

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated LWX morning AFD -- also issued an SWS for the threats this afternoon and evening

LOOKING AT RADAR...LEADING EDGE OF CONVECTION WAS ALREADY MAKINGIT INTO WEDNESDAY AT 14Z. THIS IS FASTER THAN MOST MODELGUIDANCE...AND HAVE ADJUSTED POPS/WX TO REFLECT A FASTER EASTWARDPROGRESSION...BUT THE THINKING IS THAT THIS LINE MAY WEAKEN ANDALSO SLOW DOWN AS IT PROGRESSES EAST...PERHAPS RE-GENERATING THISAFTERNOON/EVENING. SO MAIN IMPACT OF A QLCS STILL LOOKS TO BE MORETOWARD LATE AFTERNOON OR EVENING ACROSS THE WASHINGTON-BALTIMOREMETRO AREA. OF AVAILABLE MODEL GUIDANCE...HRRR SEEMS TO HAVE THEBEST HANDLE.THERE/S VIRTUALLY NO LIGHTNING/THUNDER WITH THIS ACTIVITY AND ITSSHALLOW BUT IT HAS ALSO BEEN TAPPING INTO STRONG WINDS ALOFT.THESE STRONG WINDS WILL TRANSLATE INTO THE CWA...PROMOTING STRONGSHEAR. INSTABILITY APPEARS TO BE WEAK...AND WE WILL BE CONDUCTINGA SPECIAL 18Z RELEASE TO AID IN GAUGING INSTABILITY. BUT EVEN WITHLITTLE INSTABILITY...WIND FIELDS COULD LEAD TO SOME DAMAGING WINDGUSTS AS CONVECTION MOVES EAST THROUGH THE EVENING.

Never thought comparing whats going on west of the apps is very useful here. Would still favor elevation up in this area (NVA/MD). Would not expect more than a few reports tho there are a lot of spotters these days.

Severe fail. Check back in May!

I'm interested to see what the line will do a bit further east where temps are into the upper 60's and lower 70's.  Lack of any sun has lead to weaker llvl lapse rates but the llvls are warm and moist so mixing here may be a bit better which could allow for an increased likelihood of stronger winds being transported to the surface right on the leading edge of the line. 

CTP needs to figure out if its severe showers or severe storms... its making me confused when they jump back and forth between them in their STW's... 69 mph wind gust reported in the line

:lol:

A WIND GUST TO 69 MPH...PEA SIZED HAIL AND DOWNED TREES WERE   REPORTED ON CHICKORY SUMMIT BY ACCUWEATHER EMPLOYEES AT 1124 AM.   THIS LINE HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING WIND DAMAGE THROUGHOUT   SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA.  

While wind may show itself a few times with this system, and could well reach advisory level in terms of gusts and we'll get some much needed rain to boot. I think the real story here is the huge swings in temps, and the wild ride that we've been given for the last week. A thunderclap may be possible, provided convection can get going again once the topology allows the system to flow freely - but all in all, I think LWX is handling this system with a justifiably cool hand. 

A friendly reminder of what it takes to verify severe weather probabilities...

Wind:

Probability of damaging thunderstorm winds or wind gusts of 50 knots or higher within 25 miles of a point.
Hatched Area: 10% or greater probability of wind gusts 65 knots or greater within 25 miles of a point.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/probinfo.html

So everyone still like a midnight passage?

lol

no way.. into western zones by 3ish?

I'm thinking the difference is whether or not that initial line holds together or if it diminishes and a new one forms further back. This first one has been holding together much better than what the models showed earlier though, so we'll see what happens.

I'm thinking the difference is whether or not that initial line holds together or if it diminishes and a new one forms further back. This first one has been holding together much better than what the models showed earlier though, so we'll see what happens.

hpc analyzed the front in central wv at 15z so that's probably still the front. don't see why it would slow down a lot.

Archived