Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Late January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surface temps around 23 when the snow starts...bring it on...too bad the storm will probably go to our west and we will get front ended and change to a mix

I don't think a front ender is bad in this case. Too much cold this go around. I much prefer the wetter track. Imagine the Christmas precip with 850's 5-10 colder.

surface temps around 23 when the snow starts...bring it on...too bad the storm will probably go to our west and we will get front ended and change to a mix

idk, Forky, who's been pretty good so far this season, said he thinks suppression for NE is what's likely in this pattern

and considering what just happened,....we'll see

after looking at those relatively crummy (unless you convert them to pdf and enlarge them) maps at the Euro site that show 850 temps superimposed over 500mb heights, I'm feeling pretty good this far out

I don't think a front ender is bad in this case. Too much cold this go around. I much prefer the wetter track. Imagine the Christmas precip with 850's 5-10 colder.

I wouldn't mind several inches with a front ender just as long as we dry slot or turn to light freezing drizzle. I hate a steady period of plain rain where temps spike into the 40's.

Seems like its been ok inside of this range. Any verification info to pass on?

It's verification scores, AFAIK, are highest of any model every winter.  doesnt mean it isnt wrong...It is wrong often, especially outside of a certain range and it is beaten sometimes...the best baseball team still loses 60 games a season

If you look at the 850mb maps there is really good forcing over that cold dome on Day 6 Euro.  There would be a couple hours of some heavy rates at least, if it verifies.  Wouldn't surprise me if the temps stayed in the teens for the event.  The low doesn't stand a chance of moving NW of here unless the surface HP and cold dome is severly over strengthened in error. 

I said 12:1 15:1 ratio yesterday n got torn apart for it. But as you can see it is possible

who cares...it is an estimate based on one model run that will change...so you are a weenie...just know that......Wes is a QPF expert so he can add more value...our average ratio is 11:1, so you should probably stick with that for a juicy system coming from the west

I said 12:1 15:1 ratio yesterday n got torn apart for it. But as you can see it is possible

You weren't torn apart because it's not reasonable...you get torn apart because it's ridiculous to talk about this far out. The pattern and the setup is the thing to talk about. Ratios can vary wildly even in cold air masses. People focus too much on specifics too far out. 

And yes...as zwyts said - even in our big storms the ratios aren't all that high. 

First of all, you weren't really torn apart (I was one of them).  Second, as others have said, those of us that made comments regarding your question were referring to the fact that you were asking about ratios 7 days before an event. 

Ratios that high are certainly possible but to discuss anything other than the track and maybe temps, is crazy talk at this point.

Archived