gopenoxfox
Late January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sick of having you have to post that, I want to scream

wtf do we have to do around here

it is worth watching...i imagine it could trend south...but no reason to get caught up now...or even 48 hrs out....i'll wait until we are on the brink....euro solution seems perfectly reasonable to me with the caveat that I do think it will be a closer call  on the front end....

it is worth watching...i imagine it could trend south...but no reason to get caught up now...or even 48 hrs out....i'll wait until we are on the brink....euro solution seems perfectly reasonable to me with the caveat that I do think it will be a closer call  on the front end....

when the antecedent air mass is as cold as it has been around here in what, 5 years, and the best we can do is a brief period of sleet then rain, that pattern  says winter is not over, it just never starts for us on the plain

I think the models at this range will try to push out the cold air too quickly. Thats going to be tough to do east of the mountains. I also think its going to be hard for that low to make it as far north as they have it currently.

The NAM and SREFS seem to like us getting a little snow tomorrow. Maybe we get lucky on that one a bit.

I pretty much agree and note that the majority of ens members of GEFS are now to our north.  The lack of any clear blocking suggests an OH valley solution before reformation to the east of the mountains.  That probably screws us though we could have a period of snow and then freezing rain before changing over but it also doesn't look like a super wet system for us.  Still it's too early to write it off completely.  The back end is also worth watching though they never seem to work any more around here if they ever did. 

There is a threat still, and doesn't the Euro have a second, trailing low forming off the NC coast? Verbatim it looks like some precip for parts of VA and Delmarva. Something to watch for in future runs. GFS has had this sort of depiction as well on several runs. Seems like there are going to be 2 lows, but much to be resolved with the current spread. I also don't believe an arctic air mass is going to be so quick to retreat as the Euro implies with the first(northern) low.

What happens with that system that pops off the ne coast has the ability to help us. Some guidance takes it all the way down to the mid 950's between the maritimes and greenland. Just too far north to act as a 50/50 but it can still help lock cold air in and protect a front end thump of snow for us. 

I was surprised that the euro took the system south yesterday and unfortunately wasn't surprised that it quickly changed it's mind. I won't buy into any second wave scenario until it's on top of us. Overall it's looking to remain a messy setup but can still drop some accum snow in the cities. Gotta crawl before you can walk. 

Bob, it looks like we have two chances at flurries or snow showers this week prior to the stronger system.  The 1st Monday afternoon looks like we might have a rain to snow shower/flurry  with the front.trough coming through.  It has little chance of producing any accumulations except where elevation might help.  Then we have another Wednesday night which the NAm now trying to bring a clipper towards us.  It will be interesting to see what the GSF does with that feature. The stronger it is, I think the better it would be for our chances of getting any front end snow with the Friday system. 

Looking at last nights runs, I dont believe at the end of the day we're going to see a strong primary going into the lakes and turning us over to rain. I've lived here long enough to see this scenario play out.  2007 had a couple good examples.

1) With the airmass in place this week (DPs will probably be in the low/mid teens on Thursday,) there's going to be a very solid in-situ wedge down the apps.  The low is ony going to get so far up in latitude then jump to the coast at some point.

2) It's possible the primary does get up into SW PA depending on how strong the HP to our N actually is, and with the 700MB low to the NW, we have a warm nose up there at 750-800 MB.  In that case its a matter of how much falls as snow vs. sleet/zr for those of us west of 95.

3) I don't think it will get out of the 20's on Friday for those west of 95.

I don't know about the great lakes but think the primary low is more likely to track into the oh valley than go to our south with makes the forecast really tricky since we will start out with cold air.  The Euro and GFS are obviously having problems with the pattern even when looking at the ens mean. 

That said,  the CPC superens mean D+8 would favor a track to our north. That does not mean the western guys out in Leesburg couldn't get a few inches of snow it things went right but makes it tough for us eastern guys to get an extended period of snow unless the low stays weak and then it probably would not have that much precip with it. 

post-70-0-66726900-1358696488_thumb.gif

Archived