joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Train of clippers

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is still extremely stingy with the Sunday/Monday event. Not that it's going to be significant either way but these setups usually seem to be pretty good at wringing out what moisture there is.

Yeah even last winter the Arctic front wrung out whatever moisture there was. Small scale features should become more clear as we get closer to the frontal passage.

I can't believe how dry the 12z GFS is!

Yeah even last winter the Arctic front wrung out whatever moisture there was. Small scale features should become more clear as we get closer to the frontal passage.

Hopefully there's enough moisture to work with to at least get some accumulating snow. The high snow ratios would definitely help out.

It its very surprising how dry it is what wth what should be a good clipper pattern with wide open lakes. Still long way out though and these situations usually yield some fluffy snow. To the postet asking about .25 qpf...IF u get that NO WAY do you only get 1-2".

It its very surprising how dry it is what wth what should be a good clipper pattern with wide open lakes. Still long way out though and these situations usually yield some fluffy snow. To the postet asking about .25 qpf...IF u get that NO WAY do you only get 1-2".

Should have said dry through Wednesday, because then it becomes wetter. 2/10 last winter was when that Arctic front delivered more then expected. 2.6" here.

The over running moisture along the Clipper warm front sometimes produces more snow than expected.

Should have said dry through Wednesday, because then it becomes wetter. 2/10 last winter was when that Arctic front delivered more then expected. 2.6" here.

The over running moisture along the Clipper warm front sometimes produces more snow than expected.

GRR NWS discussed this in their discussion this afternoon for tomorrow. Seemed a little bullish that there could be a surprise snow tomorrow. All of the "surprise" snows around here have been fails so far...perhaps this one can do something.

Yep, strange little disturbance moving through, with such strong WAA on its heels and ready to torch what little snow will fall.

Well the main mechanism for the snow is the WAA itself. A short period of moderate snow seems possible if everything comes together. It's a shame that the snow will probably melt before the arctic air hits though.

As crummy as last winter was, Feb 10/11 arctic front was a very exciting event here, by far the highlight of last winter. I remember watching the arctic front on the models all week. Model consensus was for about 0.03-0.05" qpf here with the fronts passage. Then 2-3 days before the front the euro came in with 0.15" qpf and was all by itself, a major outlier. Then a day before the front the NAM had a 0.25" run.

In the end we had 4.9" of snow on 0.33" liquid, way more than any model (even now-cast time runs) had shown, and it was by far the best snow of the 2011-12 season.

This made my weather weenie wag!

Sat/sat night

I ENVISION A HYBRID OF SYNOPTIC AND LAKE
ENHANCED SNOW BLOSSOMING OVER PARTS OF THE CWA LATE SATURDAY
AFTERNOON AS THE MID LEVEL WAVE ADVANCES THROUGH THE REGION AND
THERMAL PROFILES BECOME MORE SUPPORTIVE OF LAKE CONVECTION. BUT THE
BIGGEST DOWNTURN COMES SATURDAY NIGHT AS AFOREMENTIONED ARCTIC
BOUNDARY BLASTS THROUGH THE REGION SETTING THE STAGE FOR WIDESPREAD
LAKE SNOWS. WINDS WILL BE ANOTHER CONCERN AS STRONG COLD ADVECTION
COMBINES WITH A DEEPENING MIXED LAYER TAPPING 40 TO 50 KNOT WINDS
ALOFT LEADING TO CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW (BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS?). RIGHT NOW...HAVE PAINTED SNOW ACCUMS SATURDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT OF 4 TO 6 INCHES IN THE FAVORED SNOW BELTS
AND GUSTS OF 35 TO 45 KNOTS

I'm anticipating much more than 4-6 by sunday night.

Archived