joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Train of clippers

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love clippers. High ratio snow EZ on equipment and quick hitting. Been way too long since we had a good one. I think it was the 09-10 season where a 2" forecast turned into 8" !!! While pushing I kept on thinking it was goint to end any second.  What a fun day!!! 

I love clippers. High ratio snow EZ on equipment and quick hitting. Been way too long since we had a good one. I think it was the 09-10 season where a 2" forecast turned into 8" !!! While pushing I kept on thinking it was goint to end any second.  What a fun day!!! 

A clipper is responsible for Detroits biggest snow the last decade, 12.2" on Jan 22, 2005. Its crazy how those storms can EXPLODE under perfect conditions.

Generally a clipper is 1-4". i will take anything!

A clipper is responsible for Detroits biggest snow the last decade, 12.2" on Jan 22, 2005. Its crazy how those storms can EXPLODE under perfect conditions.

Perhaps that was the one.... All I can remember is the amount of fluff !! :)

GGEM looks snowy, cold and windy with that clipper. I dont want to guess on amounts this far out but there seems to be a consensus amongst the models regarding the arctic front producing very wintry conditions.

Well the EURO came in looking like a turd, so the jury is still out. It was pretty agressive last night. We shall see.

Well the EURO came in looking like a turd, so the jury is still out. It was pretty agressive last night. We shall see.

I would disagree with this. Looks very favorable for several clippers to come through and the Euro is still advertising a system around day 8-9 to come out.

Yeah, it probably won't be pretty south of a La Crosse to Muskegon to Detroit line I'm thinking.  Not much to see here for many of us.  Sure the pattern looks good for clippers overall, but I'm not feeling much action further south than me or Detroit.

The one at 72 looks semi-interesting for the Western Lakes as well on some of the GFS Ensembles.  All I ask for is a couple of inches of snow on the ground for much of next week to see if it influences the temps much, even though it probably won't.  Is that too much to ask?

Curious why you think a few inches of snow would not matter?

JD referred to the effect being about 8-10 degrees, and just saw a post from Cedar Rapids showing Jan temps with snow cover -11F vs days without snowcover

The clipper Sunday night into Monday is probably our only chance at getting an inch or two of snow.

Short answer: no

This pattern looks to hold for at least 7-10 days...it's a pretty boring pattern and will only deliver modest cold and clippers, but you are going to have multiple shots.  Wait until each impulse is inside 24-48 hours before punting.  I'll be surprised If you only manage 1" during this 1-2 week stretch.

Short answer: no

This pattern looks to hold for at least 7-10 days...it's a pretty boring pattern and will only deliver modest cold and clippers, but you are going to have multiple shots. Wait until each impulse is inside 24-48 hours before punting. I'll be surprised If you only manage 1" during this 1-2 week stretch.

I was referring to the set of clippers that swing through before high pressure sets in after the Monday clipper. I agree that pattern is favorable but there's a lull in between activity during the week. I think our better chances will be with the clippers late next week.

I was referring to the set of clippers that swing through before high pressure sets in after the Monday clipper. I agree that pattern is favorable but there's a lull in between activity during the week. I think our better chances will be with the clippers late next week.

I haven't started trying to pin down individual impulses and probably won't bother until Sunday when we finally enter the favorable pattern.

Technically, that Jan. 2005 and New Years 2008 storm were Clipper hybrids, as they fully phased with an incoming pacific wave.

January 20, 2005 (21z)...

012121.png

December 31st, 2007 (21z)...

123121.png

excited about the potential here the next several days. I think a general 5-8" in the favored 6 county area, with someone seeing a foot.... mancelona, kalkaska, gaylord being the obv guesses..

"Mancelona, Kalkaska, Gaylord"

Yep, the golden triangle of the N. LP snowbelt. Its rare if they don't score the best numbers. Enjoy the winter up there!

outside those with LE interests the clipper for early/mid next week looks to have the best shot (inside fantasy range) at something more than a run of the mill dusting.  Not major but definite 1-4" potential with an impressive baroclinic zone accross Iowa.

Yeah GFS has been advertising an impulse to come down around that timeframe for several runs now. Too early to get into track details obviously like some are doing already and already saying they won't see anything.

I think anyone north of a OAX-LAF line and north is in play. Just depends where the arctic front sets up.

Yeah GFS has been advertising an impulse to come down around that timeframe for several runs now. Too early to get into track details obviously like some are doing already and already saying they won't see anything.

I think anyone north of a OAX-LAF line and north is in play. Just depends where the arctic front sets up.

given the strength of the cold, that line could certainly be further south.  But yeah.

"Mancelona, Kalkaska, Gaylord"

Yep, the golden triangle of the N. LP snowbelt. Its rare if they don't score the best numbers. Enjoy the winter up there!

between a 1/4-1/2 mile vis now.  have had about an inch so far with another likely before lake wakes up this afternoon.  forecasted 3" tonight and another 3" tomorrow.

Edit: less than an 1/8 mile now :P

It's hard to pin down individual waves a week + out like Alek was saying. Clippers can just appear in the short range often enough. I would also be surprised if you and I didn't get more than a couple inches next week.

Archived