• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pattern change on our doorstep - will it deliver the goods? General Discussion/ banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my best friends form college is from Lancaster, NY (right near BUF airport)...and he wrote up a little piece on the BUF blizzard of '77...most of the snow they got from that was not actual snow from the sky....but snow blowing off the frozen lake Erie...like 3-4 feet of snow on Lake Erie blown by obscene winds into the city.

I thought that was common knowledge.  There was probably a few inches but it mostly a "ground blizzard."

I thought that was common knowledge.  There was probably a few inches but it mostly a "ground blizzard."

Lol, reposted in the other thread. I got mixed up in the threads. But yeah...its common knowledge for people there, but not outside of the region. I'll move back over there.

You are excited about the pattern, I can tell. Vim Toot!!!!!

If it verifies I'm excited...Both Euro ensembles and GEFS look good...but in slightly different ways. But both offer a lot of chances. No guarantee though. Still very legit to have some Scooter Caution flags.

and the day 10 threat goes to sh-t as well...no surprise this year

I'll take my wintry cold and like it.  That said, it would be nice if we could get this colder air over a fresh snow pack to maximize (minimize?) the impact. 

The coming weeks are going to be tough for me as I'm going to be away for much of this upcoming winter-fest.  A week from now I'll be in the tropics of MD for a couple days; I'll be in the tropics of FL the 26-29, and then the not-so-tropical mountains of IA Feb 3-5.

I'll need to thread the needle to experience events at home.

25.1/21

I'll take my wintry cold and like it. That said, it would be nice if we could get this colder air over a fresh snow pack to maximize (minimize?) the impact.

The coming weeks are going to be tough for me as I'm going to be away for much of this upcoming winter-fest. A week from now I'll be in the tropics of MD for a couple days; I'll be in the tropics of FL the 26-29, and then the not-so-tropical mountains of IA Feb 3-5.

I'll need to thread the needle to experience events at home.

25.1/21

Lol...

Dry begets dry

Stay the course

Excepting for the fact that this 'dry' consists of a p/c forecast that 8 of the next 9 forecast periods with pops of 30-70%.  :)

For those that have it, enjoy the zr advisory folks.  It's the only winter we've got until next week.

26.2/21

BTW--how does the NEK do with snow?

'92-'93 easily for me...but I do love '93-'94.

I lived in center city Philly from 86-08.  In Philly 92-93 was so so, except for the Superstorm (although that turned to sleet after 12 inches, sleet so heavy that with 60mph winds I literally couldn't go outside).  The cold in mid March was spectacular, after the storm.

93-94 was unrelenting but very frustrating as most storms changed over after 4-8 inches of accumulation.  Just to our north in the burbs and up to NYC it stayed snow and they got repeated 8+ snow storms.  I will say this...I've never seen so much icing in the middle of a city during a winter.

Down there nothing beat 95-96 for unrelenting winter, starting in November.  Jan 96 was just awesome (see my avatar), a 36 hour+ snow event with more than 2 feet and the first and only time I saw the city competely shut and paralyzed, with cars literally stuck in the middle of the street.  I walked my dog off the leash through the city that night, in the middle of the street after the storm ended, on a crystal clear cold night with moonlight shining off of 2+ feet of fresh snow.  

One winter in the mid-late 80s had constant storms (some of which missed to the south) and a long lasting snow cover during Jan and Feb.

Wasn't Feb 09 a pretty good month in NE?

Archived