Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Good riddance 2012. Rockin 2013? Obs and Banter

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not just the nam. i swear people here are bipolar.. they'll spend their life on a d8-10 threat that won't happen but get lost in the weeds on an event right around the corner that actually has a chance.

Yes, that's been a real issue this winter. I think folks want to appear "smart" about the weather and they believe that making dismissive posts about everything and looking at the 300 hour GFS will get them there. We used to be better with close-in climo or at least talk about it more. Now we despair over ten day model charts and ignore the storm tomorrow for some reason.

Yes, that's been a real issue this winter. I think folks want to appear "smart" about the weather and they believe that making dismissive posts about everything and looking at the 300 hour GFS will get them there. We used to be better with close-in climo or at least talk about it more. Now we despair over ten day model charts and ignore the storm tomorrow for some reason.

Yea, pretty much. I try not to be guilty as charge but still..

Comes down to lack of close in events for a very long period of time. We've been stuck in a sh!t patter for what seems like an eternity. I think some of the issues being pointed out will change the next week or so. If we can manage a relatively active pattern for a "decent" period of time then things change quickly. Even a clipper or 2 in the <6 day period will keep things really quiet irt d9+. 

Holding fast to my 0 to 0 call for Balt City north.

And, H20, you need to make the "G" on your map a raised middle finger to properly capture the situation...

find me a icon for that and I will amend. My fear is that the G oval will need to be expanded S into DC/VA and I get the "finger" too

There's been much discussion in the Jan 17-18 thread about what model guidance to use and when.  So I'm curious to know what everyone's forecasting recipes are for winter storms.  I will start:

D7+, EURO

D4 -> D6, EURO, UKMET, GFS

D2 -> D3, Canadian, EURO, UKMET, GFS

D2, SREF BUFKIT, Canadian, GFS, Remote Sensing (i.e.:  radar, upper air soundings, satellite, buoy data)

T minus 24 hours, SREF, Remote Sensing tools (i.e.:  radar, upper air soundings, satellite, buoy data, web cams and ground reports upstream).

There's been much discussion in the Jan 17-18 thread about what model guidance to use and when.  So I'm curious to know what everyone's forecasting recipes are for winter storms.  I will start:

D7+, EURO

D2, SREF BUFKIT, Canadian, GFS, Remote Sensing (i.e.:  radar, upper air soundings, satellite, buoy data)

T minus 24 hours, SREF, Remote Sensing tools (i.e.:  radar, upper air soundings, satellite, buoy data, web cams and ground reports upstream).

D7+: Ensembles, analogs, Longwave patterns, Indices(AO/NAO/PNA/QBO etc..)

D4-D6: EURO, GFS, CMC, Ensembles

48-72hrs: SREF, Euro, GFS, CMC, NAM

24-48hrs: SREF, Euro, GFS, CMC, NAM, Verification, Obs

12-24hrs: SREF, RAP, HRRR, SPC-NMM, NAM, Obs

<12hrs: Obs, RAP, HRRR, web-cams, Obs/reports.

I've never understood why possible snow threats make us all bicker with each other?

I am guessing its more pronounced when the maps look like this one is probably gonna. When a part of the area cashes in and a part doesn't, that's the tipping point maybe (winterwxluvr v. most everybody else in the dec storms - south v north in this one). The consistent thing is the relative snow hole over Balt City.

Yes, I am giving in to fullblown whining now...

D7+, EURO

Far too complicated.  Here's how you can simplify it:

D1-15:  Whichever model/s show the most snow. 

D0:  Radar hallucinations

FWIW Two days ago the was nothing, nothing to look at - except for this piece - and almost no one really got excited then. (Except for, well, never mind) So now we have a modest event to track and the issues we come up against are the usual. But at least it is feeling like winter now. Looking forward to a larger, more potent event. Fingers crossed and such.

Archived