CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
12/30 Coastal - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shanked big time. Progressive pattern with a reawakening Pacific jet. We may be in trouble but if we whiff this week and next we can at least start trotting out the futility comparisons....

We'll be fine...there's another threat 1/2-1/3 as the southwest cut-off ejects into a cold airmass, big overrunning threat. That might be the last threat in this series as the Pacific jet starts to increase as you say, but we have two more threats to track after the SW flow event/coastal tomorrow. I personally think the 1/2 overrunning is the big one to watch as a potential "pattern changer," briefly going back to mild following that storm, before another cold stretch sets in later in January.

I already have 10" of snow on the season after last night, and I expect to get 2-4" tomorrow front-end and then a potential for a light event this weekend with a coastal graze. That brings me up to 15" before December is done, and my average is only 38". Not a bad start. Don't see what everyone is complaining about, especially in New England where tomorrow's storm will have a bigger front-end dump. If we get a major event on 1/2 as well, everyone is well above average.

We'll be fine...there's another threat 1/2-1/3 as the southwest cut-off ejects into a cold airmass, big overrunning threat. That might be the last threat in this series as the Pacific jet starts to increase as you say, but we have two more threats to track after the SW flow event/coastal tomorrow. I personally think the 1/2 overrunning is the big one to watch as a potential "pattern changer," briefly going back to mild following that storm, before another cold stretch sets in later in January.

I already have 10" of snow on the season after last night, and I expect to get 2-4" tomorrow front-end and then a potential for a light event this weekend with a coastal graze. That brings me up to 15" before December is done, and my average is only 38". Not a bad start. Don't see what everyone is complaining about, especially in New England where tomorrow's storm will have a bigger front-end dump. If we get a major event on 1/2 as well, everyone is well above average.

It's speculation at this point and may happen. At this moment, I have 5 inches on the year. For my location, I'm dead ratting.

Shanked big time. Progressive pattern with a reawakening Pacific jet. We may be in trouble but if we whiff this week and next we can at least start trotting out the futility comparisons....

Lol... you know that's lurking in the back of my mind... back-to-back futility years would be perversely fascinating (if not alarming), but I'm not ready to go there yet.

I really thought this one could amplify more than modeled and run up the coast.

A couple gutter balls in Saki lanes, but I'm holding out until after tomorrow's storm clears to quit this one.

Looks like next shot around Jan 3-4 next week... then things look increasingly zonal but hope I'm wrong...

Would not write this off yet. I don't auto toss the GFS when inside 108-120 hours its showing something different than the Euro, the GFS success rate when it has a storm vs. no storm for other models inside Day 4 is actually not horrible. Again we may be dealing with a piece of energy that spends alot longer over northern Canada, that has proven a big problem for the models at times the last few winters.

It's speculation at this point and may happen. At this moment, I have 5 inches on the year. For my location, I'm dead ratting.

Boston averages about 7.5" of snow in December according to the NWS website. Therefore, you probably average around 10"....you have half of that with a big storm coming tomorrow and another storm possible on Saturday. Don't see what the problem is. None of us average that much snow in December. Personally, I think you'll get the 5" tomorrow to bring you to your average for the month.

Boston averages about 7.5" of snow in December according to the NWS website. Therefore, you probably average around 10"....you have half of that with a big storm coming tomorrow and another storm possible on Saturday. Don't see what the problem is. None of us average that much snow in December. Personally, I think you'll get the 5" tomorrow to bring you to your average for the month.

If I get several inches tomorrow night (which I agree is quite possible), I'll approach it differently. For now though, most things have broken badly save for the wonderful 11/7 event and the birthday surprisingly robust 12/1. So we'll see. I'm not sure what to make of tomorrow but I acknowledge at least the antecedent is not awful vs most situations lately. So several inches quite possible and then we'll see. But it's been a rough road with a sloppy 2 inches 10/30/11 and not much since.

If I get several inches tomorrow night (which I agree is quite possible), I'll approach it differently. For now though, most things have broken badly save for the wonderful 11/7 event and the birthday surprisingly robust 12/1. So we'll see. I'm not sure what to make of tomorrow but I acknowledge at least the antecedent is not awful vs most situations lately. So several inches quite possible and then we'll see. But it's been a rough road with a sloppy 2 inches 10/30/11 and not much since.

Fooked again, Jerry. Enjoy this one.

I'm preparing for some type of snowfall here on Cape Cod, MA, should at least get the normal Northeasterly to northerly OES winds and get some snow out of it. It sucks when the models don't show you what you want, especially when you go out on a limb with a guess, but honestly I think we get a big storm out of this one, that ridge out west will over perform. I think our main problem is the northern stream disturbance getting too fast ahead of the southern stream system and then gets shreaded by the confluence zone caused by our 26-27th friend.

Meteorology says that trough axis is far enough west where this storm can come west, at least in my untrained eyes.

You meant East and this is correct.

Meteorologically, this system cannot amplify close to the coast. Ridging is too far E over Montana. If it were over Idaho, this threat is a whole different ballgame.

This threat is toast. Indiv GFS members showing anything are less than yesterday.

Weren't you the one making fun of people with premature gronk spikes?

This seems to be exactly that with a threat around 100 hours away.

Sure this one is a bit of a long shot at this point but I wouldn't call it "toast" yet. A bit more amplification of the west coast ridge we're back in business again. Not a lot of change needed to bring this storm back into a major coastal, and lots of time for the change to happen.

Archived