Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest this trend is not good for anyone in Michigan, but it isn't over by any stretch of the mind. I still think we'll get a decent storm for the first of the season.

Watch out, Chargers09 is going to hit you with his famous "LoL". Prepare to be "LoL-ed" at.

I notice that with each successive run today, the NAM's orientation of the snow shield has changed and spread more north so the western edge keeps getting trimmed back, those of us on the river still do very good. The NAM verbatum is probably 7-10" here, 6-8" DTW, 4-6" ARB, 3-5" JXN, 1-3" BTL. Hoping the GFS and EURO show similar tonight. Definitely looking like whatever does fall in MI, youd want to be in my area.

I'm a 15 minute walk from the river myself and like you, I wouldn't want to be any further west.

I would NEVER EVER do this sort of thing being this far out. ;)

Sorry, but it seems the big storms almost always miss me to the north. Biggest snow last year was about 2".It may be wrong to gloat but I feel compelled to do it. 24 hours until onset of precip. isn't that far out but if it shifts back north...well I'm used to it and won't be crying.

Here in Pickerington, OH (SE Suburbs of Columbus, Ohio) for the holidays and when I left yesterday thought I could quit following this storm. Was just expecting an all rain event with an inch or two on the back side. Things are looking better and better here for a pretty good snowfall! That would be as good as a Christmas gift as I could ask for!

For the YYZ posters/lurkers, I'd shy away from the NAM.

i remember the GHD 2011 storm had such a similar output of data within 48 hours out of the storm but last minute data and observations showed it was actually further north than modeled which is why we got screwed and stuff but yeah. Still time left for things to change and lets hope its for the best.

Merry Christmas Canuck and fellow Torontonian and everybody else :)

If i see this correct the meso analysis on spc is not matching up extremely well at the surface. The low out in NE New Mexico is 2mb stronger right now than the GFS and NAM were forecasting. Also the high pressure out near Florida also seems stronger and more north versus the guidance. When you look up north towards Canada the High pressure up there 1040 is also well north of the guidance. Does this make any difference in these solutions?

i remember the GHD 2011 storm had such a similar output of data within 48 hours out of the storm but last minute data and observations showed it was actually further north than modeled which is why we got screwed and stuff but yeah. Still time left for things to change and lets hope its for the best.

Merry Christmas Canuck and fellow Torontonian and everybody else :)

Merry Christmas to you and all as well.

Anything's possible, but we've seen a steady diet of models indicating that the primary is just not going to be able to survive the trip into the E OV. With that being the case, the chances of this being a warning criteria type snowfall are now very low. Looks like I solid 2-4/3-5 type deal.

Unless that changes, the EURO/NAM type amounts won't verify imho.

This has bust written all over it for those of us near the Ohio River in NKY and Southern Indiana. This stom could be a dissapointment for a lot of people.

Just because the low pressure is going to be well south of us doesn't mean an automatic snowstorm. The lack of cold air could end up hurting a lot of people. I'm willing to just sitback and watch the radar to see how much cold air this system really has.

As of now, it looks like 2-4 for river communities and 1-2 inches for western areas.... Lansing is probably looking at grey skies.

You are basing that forecast on the models continuing to go east, because it cant be models verbatum? :unsure: The NAM has like 8-10" for the river communities...gfs probably has 3-5". Euro should be interesting.

Merry Christmas to you and all as well.

Anything's possible, but we've seen a steady diet of models indicating that the primary is just not going to be able to survive the trip into the E OV. With that being the case, the chances of this being a warning criteria type snowfall are now very low. Looks like I solid 2-4/3-5 type deal.

Unless that changes, the EURO/NAM type amounts won't verify imho.

Yeahh, so far its been a downward trend but i wouldn't lose hope, maybe we can get a Christmas miracle tomorrow ;) again if it phases more effectively this storm can be more robust as on the 0z Nam but the track is key and phasing. Then i would get concerned about the qpf but for not i agree. 3-6 inches seems reasonable.

Its said that if the Euro and Nam both agree its often a hard model agreement to break. so lets see. Any word on the 0z GGEM yet? Havent gotten around to check yet.

GFS back to earth with realistic QPF amounts. It never ceases to amaze me how people hug the NAM QPF every storm despite being overdone the majority of the time.

Last storm the juicy models (NAM, RGEM, UKMET) won out, so it's not out of the question for those involved with this storm. As is, I would still take the middle ground, trending slightly toward the GFS.

Archived