• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

For DTW, worst case 2.5-3" best case the low doesn't transfer til late and we get enhancement off the lakes and end up with 8-12" personally right now is go 4-8" across the metro area. Best to the SE worst to the NW

I was personally gonna go with a NAM/GFS blend, and say 6-10" for DTW. I might still stick with it if the NAM doesn't back off tonight, but even the 15z SREF members are all over the place, so I'm not sure where to go with this. 4-8" sounds very reasonable at this point.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merry Christmas y'all cant wait to see the pictures flowing in the next 2 days, will take my share here in SE Illinois.... best snow in at least 2 years here more than likely... early guess here would be in the 5-10" range, leaning on the upper side of that scale here, missing the best snows just to my east towards the Indiana border.

The idea of storms in the warm sector stealing moisture from the cold side of the low is interesting to me. Has anyone tried to quantify this phenomenon in a case study or otherwise?

I'd be curious to this as well. I hear people talk about it all the time but haven't really seen it happening.

The idea of storms in the warm sector stealing moisture from the cold side of the low is interesting to me. Has anyone tried to quantify this phenomenon in a case study or otherwise?

I inquired about this earlier in the thread, but got no response. I've read of anecdotal evidence, but have seen no case studies.

As a layperson I can't give you specifics but I have read that there have been studies done on this very thing regarding precip totals and geographical orientation of svr weather impacts upon snow in the colder sector farther north. Hopefully someone on the board with more knowledge can chime in with some specifics.

It's further south initially because the s/w trough is more amplified...however downstream confluence/blocking is less compared to 18Z thus far and heights are thus building a little more. I expect a more significant poleward tug soon before the transfer.

So far not happening. Thus the tug north. Compared to 6hrs ago it is still further se. See what happens but i have my doubt..

Archived