Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to go back and look where it was forecasted in the eastern thread but I know the WSW and everything was well southeast of here closer to you and highest amounts ended up being up near here.

There was winter storm warnings at least to Lake County for that storm. Picked up 7.8" here. Warnings were lifted pretty quickly. Pretty much went from no headlines to a straight out warning.

Looks like we'll be on the good side of the 1.00" line. Probably some vacillating back and forth, but at least we've stopped the bleeding for now.

Yup, did you see EC's special wx statement. They don't seem overly concerned at the moment. Doubt we will see winter storm watches from them. Snowfall Warnings likely tomorrow night. But who knows EC has surprised everyone more than once.

Yup, did you see EC's special wx statement. They don't seem overly concerned at the moment. Doubt we will see winter storm watches from them. Snowfall Warnings likely tomorrow night. But who knows EC has surprised everyone more than once.

Hey davefootball! Didn't know you posted on AWx as well but should have known haha.

Environment Canada Special Weather Statement going with 15cm at most in ON, 5-10 for Toronto:

==discussion==

A low pressure system is expected to develop over Texas on Christmas

day and then move northeastward to pass south of the Great Lakes

region late in the day boxing day into Thursday. Such a storm track

would place Southern Ontario on the cold side of the storm, with the

potential for significant snowfall accumulations.

Present indications suggest that the snow would start in the

southwest during the day on boxing day, and then spread eastward to

reach Eastern Ontario later in the evening. In addition, gusty

northeast winds would result in local blowing snow reducing

visibilities. Conditions should improve from west to east on

Thursday.

Current indications suggest that in areas from Lake Erie across

Niagara as well as the St Lawrence Valley area the potential exists

for snowfall amounts near the warning criteria of 15 cm in 12 hours.

Further north from Toronto across to Ottawa snowfall amounts of 5 to

10 cm appear quite possible.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as

warnings may be required or extended.

End

Looks like we'll be on the good side of the 1.00" line. Probably some vacillating back and forth, but at least we've stopped the bleeding for now.

Interesting 18z NAM...it seems to start out a little SE of its 12z run, but then by the end qpf is even better for eastern MI. DTW back to 1"+. Not saying at all its a good TREND, but its good that the bleeding has stopped.

gonna try and just hope for 3 inches here...get the ground solidly covered with no grass pickers to speak of. My original goal when this system first became apparent was just to get a few inches (at that point it looked like a complete miss to my southeast) then all the good runs, and you know the drill lol.

DTX did not issue any watches/headlines/Special Weather Statements....They should issue the watch on Wed 8am and Warning at 12pm. :axe:...I'm not sure what's wrong with issuing a watch, after all it's only a watch. Apparently if you issue a watch, that means you have to issue a warning..

Does PAH and IND have differing blizzard criteria?

Sent from my Galaxy S III on Tapatalk!

Not that I know of. Blizzard is blizzard...different than an ordinary Winter Storm Watch.

Looking at fcst soundings from the area, conditions look pretty similar in both areas in terms of snowfall rates and wind. I think both regions will either meet it or they won't...not 1 and 1.

DTX did not issue any watches/headlines/Special Weather Statements....They should issue the watch on Wed 8am and Warning at 12pm. :axe:...I'm not sure what's wrong with issuing a watch, after all it's only a watch. Apparently if you issue a watch, that means you have to issue a warning..

They always play conservative. Oh well lol. They did mention in their discussion that they are expecting a high-end advisory.

They ride the GGEM pretty hard, and per that model, we'd stay under warning criteria. Even if it was a slam dunk for 15cm/12 or 25/24, they'll hold off any headlines until probably tomorrow afternoon, especially considering the timing has shifted this to a primarily Wednesday night storm.

Archived