EWR757
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my doubts at the moment.

What an awful trend.

NWS Indy is really hitting out area hard for accumulating snow. I see most Indy TV mets are now pushing 10-12 inches possible for a high end amount. This increase came about after a NWS briefing.

Edit to add:

I upped the snow totals just a bit. Some isolated spots (in the purple/dark blue) could get up to 12" of snow by Wednesday night.

living in flora for 4 years was hairsplitting...seemed like a shield for any system meandering our way. i know why james gets so testy - i used to get just as fired up. james are you a met or just a very educated weather hobbiest?

good luck to all of you guys living on the edge of this boxing day special

LAF ends up right on the edge of the heavy snow on the RGEM, but still looks like a good hit. Drops off quickly northwest of there. Looks like SE MI gets it good past 40hrs.

Possibly, but we have seen this thing move east about 25 miles per run.... Detroit itself can't afford another 25 miles east.

Jon

I'd be happy with 6 inches, even more happy with the output from the NAM...But seriously, is 6 inches too much to ask for a day after Christmas ;)

Same here with the exception of the flickering of power due to the weight of the snow and wind last Thursday (the snow was like literal cement since it was right around freezing)

How much snow did you end up with?

Around 6 inches. The water content of the snow was a little over 1 inch for only 6 inches of snow! Had we gotten 12 inches of snow (2 inches of water content) the power outages would have been widespread. The snow was super wet and super heavy, very bad for the pine trees.

I think the reason why the snow had so much water content was that the rain/snow line was literally at my doorstep and temps were just above freezing although there was some major cold air aloft (which would explain why snow fell in areas where thunderstorms occured when temps were above freezing).

Around 6 inches. The water content of the snow was a little over 1 inch for only 6 inches of snow! Had we gotten 12 inches of snow (2 inches of water content) the power outages would have been widespread. The snow was super wet and super heavy, very bad for the pine trees.

I think the reason why the snow had so much water content was that the rain/snow line was literally at my doorstep and temps were just above freezing although there was some major cold air aloft (which would explain why snow fell in areas where thunderstorms occured when temps were above freezing).

A **** to shovel I bet.

On a different note, Mark Robinson a meteorologist at The Weather Network in Oakville Ontario mentioned the potential for a bit of lake enhancement in the Hamilton/Burlington area.

I think it's an okay model. Baro mentioned it has been upgraded this year to the same data crunching ability the Euro has. Forgot the name of it.

Anyway I think it did pretty good with the last system overall.

It is really interesting that it is north with the heavy band considering it is the high resolution "sister" of the gem which was always inb the south camp.

I notice that with each successive run today, the NAM's orientation of the snow shield has changed and spread more north so the western edge keeps getting trimmed back, those of us on the river still do very good. The NAM verbatum is probably 7-10" here, 6-8" DTW, 4-6" ARB, 3-5" JXN, 1-3" BTL. Hoping the GFS and EURO show similar tonight. Definitely looking like whatever does fall in MI, youd want to be in my area.

Archived