EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WRF we run at Purdue is similar to this, maybe shifted southeast another 30-50 with the NW edge of the precip. It's been showing this for its last 3 runs (last 36 hours). It's initialized from the NAM, so it has the massive QPF too. I haven't been paying attention to it because it was such a outlier, but now it could have picked up on the SE trend early.

What kind of a track record does the Purdue WRF have?

NAM was an outlier north with the last storm in its useless range. Do yourselves a huge favor and never let that model get your hopes up to much and we wouldn't have 5 pages of deflated weenies. EURO with some GFS has been the way to go. delicate storm like the last one and they are no fun when you're on the edges.. Good luck all and have a Merry Christmas.

I agree and even said last night that the Nam was not to be believed...early on at least

Yeah wow Detroit and Toronto now risk losing those bigger totals entirely if the trend persists.

EURO keeps the books open on this system. Besides the NAM, it's the wettest model out there. I threw out 2-4/3-5 assuming the EURO in about half an hour will finally capitulate. If it doesn't, a small window of opportunity will remain open for more fulsome amounts.

I'm sitting close to Dayton, OH and the meteorologists here have been saying 3-5 inches. and if reality plays out they'll be dead wrong, and we'll see 3x that amount with these new model trends coming into alignment. 12+ inches ? :)

They seem to be going by what NWS ILN is saying right now. They did say adjustments might be necessary if things shift.

What kind of a track record does the Purdue WRF have?

Pretty good overall, but it's been off on its own recently. I've been using it mainly for freezing fog and frost forecasting. It picked up on the SE trend at this time yesterday, but I don't know exactly why it did that. It actually shifted a little bit NW on its 0z run.

http://wxp.eas.purdue.edu/wrfdata/

They seem to be going by what NWS ILN is saying right now. They did say adjustments might be necessary if things shift.

Ya, my guess is that adjustments to totals around here will change throughout the day tomorrow and the Winter Storm Warnings will be issued south 100 miles of the original watches. It will also be interesting to see how the winds wind up this thing. Could flurt with blizzard conditions for a time...

999mb on surface obs. If I'm not mistaken, it looks stronger than modeled.

post-5974-0-30524200-1356414292_thumb.gi

something to keep an eye on, wasn't supposed to get into the 990's until midnight.... tomorrow as it starts to go neg-tilt. also maybe just a bit North of model guidance as well maybe? not much but little differences now could make larger ones down the road

something to keep an eye on, wasn't supposed to get into the 990's until midnight.... tomorrow as it starts to go neg-tilt. also maybe just a bit North of model guidance as well maybe? not much but little differences now could make larger ones down the road

Looking at that blocking high up in Canada is it weaker and north of what model suggest?

Yeah, watch it go back NW. I would be upset but not surprised in the least....

Yeah, watch it go back NW. I would be upset but not surprised in the least....

I don't think we'll see large shifts in any direction from here really, but a county or 2 either way not out of the question still IMO. Frankly personally I'd take a tiny shift NW for more buffer room, I'd gladly take 15-20 miles even with how sharp the NW gradient is in this system, Haven't seen one pregged that sharp since.. well the last storm to blast Paducah and Evansville in 2004, I was on the lucky end that storm, hopefully I can get lucky again..

Archived