Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA - 2012 wanes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five hours now of consistent, moderate snow in State College, with 3-4 inches on the ground. No signs of sleet. Yet. At some point I expect to hear Sheriff Ping Ping Ping Ricochet Rabbit shooting it up outside, but I suppose the dry slot will hit first.

Probably coming down at its heaviest and fluffiest right now in College Heights, 24.6F IMBY.

Five hours now of consistent, moderate snow in State College, with 3-4 inches on the ground. No signs of sleet. Yet. At some point I expect to hear Sheriff Ping Ping Ping Ricochet Rabbit shooting it up outside, but I suppose the dry slot will hit first.

Probably coming down at its heaviest and fluffiest right now in College Heights, 24.6F IMBY.

When you see the big, clumped together flakes, that's how you know it's almost over. That happened on VD 2007 and 20 minutes later it was all pings.

That is not a true dry slot, that is just intermittent precipitation. The large gap in precipitation over Virginia is a dry slot. This is going to be an interesting few hours to watch the radar.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if something was developing or not, but it looked odd and "kind of" looked like a slot of dry air between the dying primary and the new coastal. I suppose it will be interesting to watch the radar as the night goes on. We are still in that lull with what seems to be freezing drizzle. When the coastal fully takes over can it switch back to snow or are we in a mixed situation the rest of the night?

When you see the big, clumped together flakes, that's how you know it's almost over. That happened on VD 2007 and 20 minutes later it was all pings.

Not quite like that, but after I posted that it got quite heavy as Jamie mentioned. But yeah, I expect the pings any minute. My wife is keen on shoveling, and I suggested waiting until that starts.

Looking like the snow shield is redeveloping to your south as well. Hopefully this is the start of the pivot point and coastal taking over. If you guys don't really let up you should get a foot if not more. Hopefully the warm advection gets shut down as well.

Thanks to both you and Eskimo Joe for the responses. I sort of like the radar right now, looks like stuff is trying to develop to our south. I think we do let up at some point.

Have 4.6 here on the ground.

Well, I've been watching my temp keep rising over the past 90 minutes and I'm about to reach critical mass....32.0F. After a lull in precip there's more about to move in and I have no idea why form it will be in. I don't believe I've seen any liquid precip fall here yet. It ended as sleet with a total snow/sleet accumulation of 2.4". Pressure bottomed out at 29.66" about 2 hours ago and has been fluctuating between 29.67" and 29.69". Perhaps NWS will be right with the pure rain call (right now they say sometime after 8pm) although they have my temp holding at 32, so perhaps it will become zr...will see soon enough.

edit: now up to 32.2 and still climbing.

Honest question: should I shovel now or in the late evening? I'd shovel but if we keep w/ the frza I don't want an ice rink lol

Also my DirecTV sat went out, guess snow/ice is blocking the signal. Boo!

Get your East Texas butt out there, shovel & salt...lol I had a steroid shot in the neck this morning, so I get a medical shoveling reprieve. :D

When it was really coming down this afternoon, the cable seemed to have satellite problems this afternoon, it was a first.

Archived