Powerball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indy AFD:

LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/

ISSUED AT 235 PM EST WED DEC 19 2012

MID WEEK STORM SYSTEM WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF MIXED PRECIPITATION

AND ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL BE THE MAIN FOCUS FOR THE EXTENDED.

THE 12Z ECMWF IS NOW CLOSER TO THE 12Z GFS AND 12Z GEM AS THEY ALL

NOW HAVE A LEAD SURFACE WAVE LIFTING NORTHEAST FROM THE WESTERN GULF

STATES TO THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY ON MONDAY. THE REGIONAL

INITIALIZATION WAS PUTTING OUT SMALL POPS WHICH LOOKS OK COMPARED TO

MODEL THE FURTHER WEST EURO AND CANADIAN QPF. LOOKING AT

THICKNESSES...MODEL SOUNDINGS AND FORECASTED TEMPERATURES...LOOKS

LIKE ANY PRECIPITATION COULD BE A MIX.

MUCH STRONGER SYSTEM WILL LIFT NORTHEAST OUT OF THE WESTERN GULF

STATES TO THE OHIO VALLEY ON WEDNESDAY. THE 12Z ECMWF AND 12Z GFS

TRACK THE LOW CENTER TO NORTHERN INDIANA WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE SYSTEM

WILL BRING IN PLENTY OF MOISTURE AND STRONG LIFT. SO DECENT SNOW

AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE DEPENDING ON THE EXACT TRACK OF THE SYSTEM. FOR

NOW...WILL STICK WITH CONSISTENT SNOWY FORECAST WEDNESDAY.

WITH CONFIDENCE IN STORM SYSTEM TRACKS NOT GREAT...WILL LEAVE

SEASONABLE TEMPERATURES FROM THE REGIONAL INIT

set-up doesn't look anything like a major icing event to me

I'd disagree especially further Northeast, my location specifically. With the first system going by it allows for high pressure to setup North of here which would funnel down low level cold air at the surface and you would have the warm air overriding it. I think the prospects are there for someone in the region. I am personally hoping it isn't here though.

I'd disagree especially further Northeast, my location specifically. With the first system going by it allows for high pressure to setup North of here which would funnel down low level cold air at the surface and you would have the warm air overriding it. I think the prospects are there for someone in the region. I am personally hoping it isn't here though.

I will pass on an ice storm as well. give me snow! The 12z EURO ensemble mean would be perfect for us.

18z was a beautful hit. Keep these coming.

don't count on it....

yesterdays' 18z was 'my' beautiful hit....

...tomorrow's 18z? who knows.

If on friday the euro is still showing a cut to the central or western lakes, I'll concede. That would be about 120 hrs out and the euro is pretty good at that range.. I'm not trusting a SLP placement at 192....even if it's the euro.

One thing I'm beginning to notice is a subtle shift towards a cutoff look at 500...both on the gfs, euro, and some of the others. IF that were to start showing up in the solutions, and as long as it didn't happen too late or early, a lot of us could be in the game with a big time gulf-pump'n bowler and a pressing 1040 high. :weenie:

All depends where upstream blocking sets up the pv. Storm will phase southeast of it just like the current storm. Way to far out and models are of little use except whispering a threat(didn't even look at them today).

Relax buck.

relax????

C'mon Angry,

I'm whistling jinglebells out of my snowwhite ass. We have our first winter weather advisory since????? and are forecast to get our biggest snowfall in like 2 years, complete with high winds and all!!!

Life in snow weenie-world is the best it's been in years......... :santa:

post-525-0-65117500-1355965998_thumb.gif

Just a few things I want to point out...

First off...I also don't agree with DT's suppression "guarantee," if the storm really wraps up and goes negative tilt well west of the Mississippi River, there is room for it to cut towards the western lakes. If we do see a storm cut that hard however, it looks like blocking will be fairly strong over eastern Canada, so we would likely see the storm either stall or more likely transfer to east of the Apps once it got to the latitude of the lower lakes.

Second...there is strong confluence on the map above over the northeastern US which should ensure there is a polar high pressure with shallow cold air northeast of the storm...if we do see the storm cut towards Chicago or western MI, there would probably be some ice for places like CMH, CLE, LAF, DET, etc. But, it's a bit too early to discuss those specifics right now.

Third...This week's storm is expected to act as a 50/50 type low early next week. If the wave ejecting early next week doesn't take off rather far west, a more classic track towards the OV before transferring to the east coast certainly remains in the cards.

post-525-0-65117500-1355965998_thumb.gif

Just a few things I want to point out...

First off...I also don't agree with DT's suppression "guarantee," if the storm really wraps up and goes negative tilt well west of the Mississippi River, there is room for it to cut towards the western lakes. If we do see a storm cut that hard however, it looks like blocking will be fairly strong over eastern Canada, so we would likely see the storm either stall or more likely transfer to east of the Apps once it got to the latitude of the lower lakes.

Second...there is strong confluence on the map above over the northeastern US which should ensure there is a polar high pressure with shallow cold air northeast of the storm...if we do see the storm cut towards Chicago or western MI, there would probably be some ice for places like CMH, CLE, LAF, DET, etc. But, it's a bit too early to discuss those specifics right now.

Third...This week's storm is expected to act as a 50/50 type low early next week. If the wave ejecting early next week doesn't take off rather far west, a more classic track towards the OV before transferring to the east coast certainly remains in the cards.

Sounds like either scenario would be wintry for Detroit. If it cuts west, ice, if its a more classic track, snow.

Archived