• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 26th - 27th Winter Storm

Powerball

Meh, although some say we've been in the best spot for frequent 6-10" storms in the last 5 years, we're also just about the only place that hasn't seen a major 12"+ storm in much of the Northeast and Midwest (including places such as Milwaukee and Minneapolis, which some will say have had it worse than us).

So as long as we see a major 12"+ storm this year, I'll be perfectly satisfied with an overall lackluster winter.

Agree 100%

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, although some say we've been in the best spot for frequent 6-10" storms in the last 5 years, we're also just about the only place that hasn't seen a major 12"+ storm in much of the Northeast and Midwest (including places such as Milwaukee and Minneapolis, which some will say have had it worse than us).

So as long as we see a major 12"+ storm this year, I'll be perfectly satisfied with an overall lackluster winter.

This area did get a 12"+ event on New Years 2008. There were widespread amounts of 12-17" North of 59.

you might be waiting for a very long time. Detroit is not prone to 12"+ events.

True.

But I just want the record to show how irritating it is to see just about every other major locale in the Northeast and Midwest log at least one 12"+ snowstorm in the last 5 years but us in spite of us seeing so many 6-10" storms, probably more than everyone else some will say.

Yeah I'm punching something if that happens.

Though I guess it's a good thing that hardly any models have had a good LAF/OKK hit yet. ;)

I still like our chances with this one (note: I'd consider even predominantly mix somewhat of a victory considering the lack of wintry wx so far). Not too concerned about a miss to the SE...yet.

True.

But I just want the record to show how irritating it is to see just about every other major locale in the Northeast and Midwest log at least one 12"+ snowstorm but us in spite of us seeing so many 6-10" storms, probably more than everyone else some will say.

If you do get a favorable track most and every single time, low gets transferred to the coast which Is why we always cap off at a 6-10" event and minus a major water source that doesn't help either. It is what it is.

2005-2011 was a fluke. It appears we are back to "normalish kind of winters"

I looked at data for Detroit. There's only been 3 (1886,1900,1974) storms of 15"+ in 126 years. 2.3% chance of getting event like that. . 11 storms of 12"+ 8.7%. So basically once every 12 years Detroit gets a 12" storm. Once every 42 years Detroit gets a 15"+ event. So we are do

People around Detroit need to lower there expectations on big snow events.

12z Euro is a monster app runner.

That lead wave is key. If it gets too strong as some recent runs suggest, then it would suppress the height fields and keep the second event a bit more suppressed...something to keep an eye on for folks in my area.

Massive run for Ohio...widespread 1.25"+ QPF

12z Euro is a monster app runner.

That lead wave is key. If it gets too strong as some recent runs suggest, then it would suppress the height fields and keep the second event a bit more suppressed...something to keep an eye on for folks in my area.

Interesting theory. But doesn't the EURO have the strongest lead wave of all the guidance at 12z? Yet it still has a the most wound up solution for wave 2.

I think the key is those s/ws rotating around the vortex over northern QC that today's storm is going to form. Interact and phase or disjointed and suppressed.

Irrational aside: there's a better chance the Mayans are right about tomorrow than the 12z EURO verifying. Anything that shows snow over YYZ you know is off its rocker.

UKIE only goes out to 144, but judging by how the trough is already going neg tilt over the MS River, I'm thinking phasing and a EURO like solution would occur if extrapolated. So at least we got a tag team going on here. EURO is the best model out there, but it's always nice when there's additional model support, especially when a solution is particularly anomalous.

Interesting theory. But doesn't the EURO have the strongest lead wave of all the guidance at 12z? Yet it still has a the most wound up solution for wave 2.

I think the key is those s/ws rotating around the vortex over northern QC that today's storm is going to form. Interact and phase or disjointed and suppressed.

Irrational aside: there's a better chance the Mayans are right about tomorrow than the 12z EURO verifying. Anything that shows snow over YYZ you know is off its rocker.

Yeah, but to me it means that the second one could try to come out farther west if the phasing is right and the first wave doesn't blow up.

UKIE only goes out to 144, but judging by how the trough is already going neg tilt over the MS River, I'm thinking phasing and a EURO like solution would occur if extrapolated. So at least we got a tag team going on here. EURO is the best model out there, but it's always nice when there's additional model support, especially when a solution is particularly anomalous.

Add the NOGAPS to the list as well.

to me the ukie looked like it might try to take it further west then the euro did. But hard to tell on the graphics + extrapolating

to me the ukie looked like it might try to take it further west then the euro did. But hard to tell on the graphics + extrapolating

I got that impression too, but I'm trying not to focus too much on exact tracks and just categorize the model camps based on how they handle everything at H5. GFS has partial interaction between the streams, GGEM none and sheared out (although you do well at CMH). EURO/UKIE look like a full phase.

Not too many wound up solutions on the GEFS. Mostly mirror the OP run or are more suppressed.

I like'd how the models were handling this storm prior to 0z. Even though I'd eventually go over to a slot/drizzle, they all showed a generous front end thump of snow/ice. Now, even though there's a potential to stay all snow and possible blizzard (EURO), there's also the potential for suppression. Too much dice rolling with today's models.

Archived