amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 26th - 27th Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS makes me hate living in the county I do... if I lived 30 miles north, promised land on the 0z run, oh well, usually the models underdo the cold air a bit, still a very big watcher for sure, not feeling down one bit, man that low track is just perfect for places like St Louis, Springfield/Champaign, Peoria, etc...

Bad news is it forces the bigger one ( all has been going on about ) to track up the apps and it takes longer to really get going. A few inches across se MI and Ohio with that..

That's how it works, we get the weak stuff...the good stuff happens west or east of us lol...This is somewhat of a gift, or at least something from mother nature lol...

That's how it works, we get the weak stuff...the good stuff happens west or east of us lol...This is somewhat of a gift, or at least something from mother nature lol...

No way would i ever refuse a few inches of snow on Christmas eve/early Christmas morning. So yeah i would call it a gift.. :D

FYI.. 00z euro now showing a few inches of snow across N.IN/S.MI Christmas eve/Christmas am.. :o

Talk about a Christmas miracle if that pans out! I honestly could not care less if the next storm missed us in SEMI if that took place, we'll eventually get the big daddy...but a white Christmas is a rare feat around here these days.

Talk about a Christmas miracle if that pans out! I honestly could not care less if the next storm missed us in SEMI if that took place, we'll eventually get the big daddy...but a white Christmas is a rare feat around here these days.

An official White Christmas is 1"+ snowcover at 7am Christmas morning. Detroit historically is just under 50% chance. We have actually done quite well lately...as 7 of the last 12 Christmases have been White (2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010)...HOWEVER, the previous 9 Christmases (1991-99) were bare!!! So technically speaking, one could say we are still trying to make up for the '90s, as from 1991 to 2011 only 7 of the 21 Christmases were officially white! (Note- in that span, Christmas 1993, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2007, & 2009 did have a T on the ground).

To the bolded...I have been saying for a while now...we have technically 4 more months to get a massive snowstorm...but less than a week to get a White Christmas. bring it!

An official White Christmas is 1"+ snowcover at 7am Christmas morning. Detroit historically is just under 50% chance. We have actually done quite well lately...as 7 of the last 12 Christmases have been White (2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010)...HOWEVER, the previous 9 Christmases (1991-99) were bare!!! So technically speaking, one could say we are still trying to make up for the '90s, as from 1991 to 2011 only 7 of the 21 Christmases were officially white! (Note- in that span, Christmas 1993, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2007, & 2009 did have a T on the ground).

To the bolded...I have been saying for a while now...we have technically 4 more months to get a massive snowstorm...but less than a week to get a White Christmas. bring it!

Did we have a white Christmas in 2005? I don't remember that at all, in fact I remember it pouring rain that Christmas! Maybe there was still snow on the ground... likewise in 2008. We had like 18" of snow a few days before Christmas but a ton of slush by Christmas day, because it turned to rain on Christmas Eve. :cry:

2002-2004 were glorious years though, especially 2002 and 2004 with the Christmas eve-day snowstorm in '02 and that big storm that dropped 6-12" or so over the area a couple days prior to Christmas in 2004. I think it was around zero on Christmas morning too.

IND still liking the prospects of a winter storm during this time frame...

GREATER INTEREST CONTINUES TO FOCUS ON THE SECOND SURFACE WAVE SET

TO IMPACT MUCH OF THE EASTERN U S FOR MIDWEEK. STRONG UPPER LEVEL

LOW WILL MOVE INTO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST ON MONDAY...THEN AMPLIFY

SIGNIFICANTLY TUESDAY ACROSS THE ROCKIES. THE INTENSIFYING UPPER

LOW WILL PROMOTE SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS OVER THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY WITH THE STORM DEEPENING AS IT

MOVES NORTHEAST AND EVENTUALLY TRANSFERS ITS ENERGY TO A LOW OFF

THE MID ATLANTIC COAST BY THURSDAY. WHILE THE EXTENDED MODELS

DIFFER IN THE DETAILS WITH REGARDS TO TIMING OF IMPACTS AND

SPECIFIC TRACK OF THE SYSTEM...CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE IN

A LARGE AND POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IMPACTING THE OHIO

VALLEY AND GREAT LAKES TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY. WITH ALL AVAILABLE

MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGESTIVE OF A SYSTEM TRACK ANYWHERE FROM THE OHIO

VALLEY INTO THE SOUTHEAST...WILL FOCUS PRECIP AS EITHER A RAIN/

SNOW MIX OR ALL SNOW AT THIS TIME.

I honestly could not care less if the next storm missed us in SEMI if that took place, we'll eventually get the big daddy...

Meh, although some say we've been in the best spot for frequent 6-10" storms in the last 5 years, we're also just about the only place that hasn't seen a major 12"+ storm in much of the Northeast and Midwest (including places such as Milwaukee and Minneapolis, which some will say have had it worse than us).

So as long as we see a major 12"+ storm this year, I'll be perfectly satisfied with an overall lackluster winter.

Meh, although some say we've been in the best spot for frequent 6-10" storms in the last 5 years, we're also just about the only place that hasn't seen a major 12"+ storm in much of the Northeast and Midwest (including places such as Milwaukee and Minneapolis, which some will say have had it worse than us).

So as long as we see a major 12"+ storm this year, I'll be perfectly satisfied with an overall lackluster winter.

This

Archived