12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold rain brings some cold hard facts to the table.

Honestly, I truly appreciate your thoughtful responses and posts. A lot of opinions about people on an internet board are formed via how they communicate. Some people seem to have very little sense of how their posts sound or come across (or they simply don't care). Some of it has to do with grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. but not all. Tone is definitely important. Some people on this board I hold in pretty high esteem just for the way they conduct themselves on this board.

Whatever happened to good ol' fashioned, Southern hospitality and courtesy? I don't think it's dead, but let's try not to defy this stereotype either! :santa:

I've been working at my current company for 12 years and have had roles where I worked with clients throughout my tenure here. When I first started, most client interactions were via phone calls. Now emails makes up a substantial portion of client communication. That's fine for the mundane stuff, but the complex items (service issues, complaints, etc.) should be done, I believe, via phone calls. I lead a sales team and most of the team are 5-10 years younger than me. Their first inclination to any communication, whatever the issue, is email.

Written communication, especially when it involves disagreement, challenges, issues, complex stuff can be very tricky. The biggest risk most of the time is misinterpretation. Most people don't set out to write something with the intent of being a jackass. But everybody writes differently and everybody interprets differently. That's the problem. I think that's the biggest issue around communication that we have on this board.

There are those here..and everywhere...who just don't care what they say or how they say it. They will hide behind the keyboard and say whatever they want because they have no regard for anyone else. Fortunately, they are in the very, very small minority. Most of my experience here has shown that most folks here are good people who like to talk about the weather. I believe the issues are more around writing styles and interpretation than anything else. I would bet if we were all in a room talking face to face, 99% of the perceived issues would vanish quickly.

This is the main reason I tell my guys to talk to someone about something rather than write about it. Unfortunately, we can't do that here just yet.

Picture this.

A child waits patiently for weeks for Christmas Eve to arrive and for Santa to bring all the presents. At midnight on Christmas Eve a window breaks, the tooth fairy flys in and hits the kid in the mouth knocking out a tooth. The tooth fairy picks up the tooth drops a quarter and leaves.

That is pretty much what waiting for snow in our area is like. Except we often don't even get the quarter. :)

Nice! Your imagination is always entertaining. :)

I sometimes imagine moving to a place where waiting for snow isn't so disappointing. But since the tooth fairy tool all my money, I can't afford to go. So I'm left with managing my disappointment instead and wondering when Santa is going to come....

I've been working at my current company for 12 years and have had roles where I worked with clients throughout my tenure here. When I first started, most client interactions were via phone calls. Now emails makes up a substantial portion of client communication. That's fine for the mundane stuff, but the complex items (service issues, complaints, etc.) should be done, I believe, via phone calls. I lead a sales team and most of the team are 5-10 years younger than me. Their first inclination to any communication, whatever the issue, is email.

Written communication, especially when it involves disagreement, challenges, issues, complex stuff can be very tricky. The biggest risk most of the time is misinterpretation. Most people don't set out to write something with the intent of being a jackass. But everybody writes differently and everybody interprets differently. That's the problem. I think that's the biggest issue around communication that we have on this board.

There are those here..and everywhere...who just don't care what they say or how they say it. They will hide behind the keyboard and say whatever they want because they have no regard for anyone else. Fortunately, they are in the very, very small minority. Most of my experience here has shown that most folks here are good people who like to talk about the weather. I believe the issues are more around writing styles and interpretation than anything else. I would bet if we were all in a room talking face to face, 99% of the perceived issues would vanish quickly.

This is the main reason I tell my guys to talk to someone about something rather than write about it. Unfortunately, we can't do that here just yet.

Words to live by...pick up the phone. Shows courage, self- confidence, and shows the person on the other end that you care enough to fix the problem. I am convinced that email correspondence about serious matters is generally ineffective because there are nuances to disagreements that email is still yet unable to account for.

Please take this as constructive criticism. I was a school administrator and sometimes I have flashbacks.

You're a met. Your credentials speak for themselves, as do your knowledgeable posts. What's causing you trouble here is your expectations of others. You can not control anything except yourself. I realize you know this, but you seem to be having a bit of trouble putting it into practice. You have been actively posting for a few weeks now. In that short time you have quit the board, deleted all your posts, returned, apologized and in the post above issued another apology. All this was caused by what others said and none of it was necessary or productive.

Relax. Just be you and allow others to be whatever they are. Don't internalize what you read on a weather board. You'll enjoy life a lot more, both on and off the board.

If you're going to critique someone, at least be correct in doing so. I really haven't had any "problems" here, I'm just trying to help others understand how they can have higher quality interactions with meteorologists. Secondly, I have been actively posting since last January, and as I said before I have been coming to these boards for a long time. I don't come around much during the non-winter season because winter is where my passion lies. Thirdly, I never quit the board, and only deleted some posts that seemed to be somewhat controversial, but looking back on it I realize that I wasn't the problem. Finally, I didn't apologize because I honestly felt I needed to, but more so just for the annoyance I may have caused others by going semi-off topic in the forecasting discussion.

No need for a life lesson, as I don't base my happiness on this weather board or on how a certain run of the models is going. The sole purpose of my post was to raise awareness to a certain "tone" that has seemed to permeate the forecast discussion board this winter anytime a forecaster goes against the grain. If it didn't pertain to you, or you have no idea what I'm referring to, then continue on as normal.

you're going to critique someone, at least be correct in doing so. I really haven't had any "problems If" here, I'm just trying to help others understand how they can have higher quality interactions with meteorologists. Secondly, I have been actively posting since last January, and as I said before I have been coming to these boards for a long time. I don't come around much during the non-winter season because winter is where my passion lies. Thirdly, I never quit the board, and only deleted some posts that seemed to be somewhat controversial, but looking back on it I realize that I wasn't the problem. Finally, I didn't apologize because I honestly felt I needed to, but more so just for the annoyance I may have caused others by going semi-off topic in the forecasting discussion.

No need for a life lesson, as I don't base my happiness on this weather board or on how a certain run of the models is going. The sole purpose of my post was to raise awareness to a certain "tone" that has seemed to permeate the forecast discussion board this winter anytime a forecaster goes against the grain. If it didn't pertain to you, or you have no idea what I'm referring to, then continue on as normal.

OK, I'm done. You are what you are. Good luck.

I strongly disagree with this. I believe people have the ability (and should exercise that ability) to contain their excitement and realize that they live in a place where it's usually not going to snow, while simultaneously observing or participating in a discussion of the possibility of a winter event from a distance of more than 72 hours. Both excitement and disappointment are part of the love of weather. And they can and should coexist.

I think they were talking about making a totally separate storm thread that's dedicated solely to a storm outcome for around a specific date. Lol man they come out of the woodwork don't they?

Cold Rain and others throw out some excellent points. I'd dare say most of the folks on here that get banned, warned and lash out on people like Robert are for the majority under 28-30 year old know it all peoples that solely communicate via electronics. They would never carry on like this in person because most would not put up with it. This board has been a nice hobby for me over the last couple of years to learn and talk with some real good people. This winter has ruined my taste and desire to even look at the forecast threads. So like some of the more seasoned vets and long timers I'll stick with Roberts site and Matthew East and Andy Wood.

I'll come to the banter side to play occasionally though!!

I think they were talking about making a totally separate storm thread that's dedicated solely to a storm outcome for around a specific date. Lol man they come out of the woodwork don't they?

They do that a lot on the Accuweather boards, I've noticed. There will be like 3 or 4 storm threads sometimes for threats a few days apart. And then the dates will change or the threats will merge as the time gets closer and it's confusing as all get-out.

Things would be a lot different if last winter and this winter so far had not sucked so bad for the SE. Seems like all we can get now are one or two big events or nothing at all. My only hope is we will get a monster storm like in Jan 2000 when that winter sucked overall, too, excpet for the last two weeks of Jan. Or we could just get nothing at all like last winter, which seems more likely.

Boy we need a new year. Too many getting upset over nothing. This is a weather forum. Talk about weather even if its 30 days out. You dont like the forum. Leave. Three weeks ago many said no signs of anything. Since then we have had some close calls that could have verified but didnt. Thats weather in the se. You dont like it just wait it will change in a day or two. We dont live in a snow capital. We dont get lake effect snows. So when we see a good run yes we get excited even though mist of time it never verifies. Hopefully the new year will bring some wintry weather

This is a great example of what we were discussing earlier. I have no idea if ncwinterwxman is angry or not, but it sounds like it. And for what reason? Because people were talking about a possible winter storm more than 5 days out. On a weather board. I might be misinterpreting though.

Either way, I hope Brandon doesn't find out that he doesn't know what a phase looks like. :o

LOL, shame on us for discussing the weather!

Nope...not upset and I hope no one else thought I was upset...I was just agreeing with the previous poster...there is a difference between wishcasting and saying what a model actually shows. There is a fine line between the two. I have not seen one run that actually phased the two streams. That is exactly what the poster is talking about. It just seems as though everyone is wishcasting. Oh, if we just had a phase, things would look different...etc. This run was so close to a phase, etc. I wish I had a dime for every time I have heard that. Again, I am not upset. I enjoy reading this board and this thread and wish I had more time to post but I don't. I hope there are no hard feelings. :hug: Back on topic.

This is a great example of what we were discussing earlier. I have no idea if ncwinterwxman is angry or not, but it sounds like it. And for what reason? Because people were talking about a possible winter storm more than 5 days out. On a weather board. I might be misinterpreting though.

Either way, I hope Brandon doesn't find out that he doesn't know what a phase looks like. :o

Don't you know how to read? That is clearly NOT what the poster was saying at all..."When you are discussing a potential snow event 5+ days out and NO model is showing any snow, why discuss it?" "You guys got excited because 2 runs of the GFS were BARELY showing snow and people were making 4-8 inch snow totals because of a GFS ensemble." "It just seems with this storm that you all were wishcasting a phase and other features that would support snow and ice." I agree with this assessment 10000 %. I haven't seen one model run that was even CLOSE to a phase regardless of what anyone else has to say. I have been watching models for years and know exactly what a phase looks like and this does NOT look like a phase at all. If anything, the pattern clearly supports a suppressed, cold frontal passage with a POSSIBLE weak area of low pressure that rides up the front and that is IT. Maybe things will look better later in the month, but this is NOT the storm to get even the slightest bit excited about. Sorry. :violin:

Give it a rest already! Enough is enough. This is a weather board......we discuss weather..... both short range and long range. That is how it's been and that is how it is going to be in the future. If you don't like hearing about the potential pattern down the road, I am sorry. Most of us do......Yes, there is wishcasting. We all want to lean toward any possibility of winter weather even if there seems to be no chance. I am not putting much faith in the models right now as they have been grossly wrong as of late, which means that they might not be picking up on something that would allow things to end up in our favor. That is where the human aspect of it comes into play. The models are just a guide.....(Rant over)..... Our local NWS forecast now has precip in for Wed night and Thurs. That's a big change from earlier forecasts. Temps mid 30's.for a low and low 40's for a high.

same goes here. I don't know much and don't say much, I do more reading of the experts. When I do say something out of pure innocents I've had folks come back with calm down or some say be patient when I by no means meant anything by what I said except that I was one that got excited but I pay the consequence when there is no storm. This is part of this site to get excited if you want to, to have hope. Heck guys if we can talk about the weather on here we just as well quit. Gee this is a weather site for everyone not just experts, of which we all do appreciate reading those expert opinions, but I also enjoy reading the non experts opinion also. Lets everyone chill.

Archived